PDA

View Full Version : Build it and they shall come, another kindred spirit looking for a home.

Brian Beaumont AKA Thor
08-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Got this message today and I'm seeing more and more of this. B

Hello there
I just found out there was a 10th planet affiliate in Yuma, and YOU were the instructor. I'm from EL Centro and have been training bjj since 05 on and off self taught by books videos from the 10th planet system, and implying them at a Gracie affiliate school. No longer is that place around.

I then went to another school down here, a joe moreira affiliate school ( ran by a brown belt) and while i was there I realized the students there were pretty NEW to bjj and he wanted to promote me to a blue belt for whatever reason and wanted me to help teach a no gi class. Just when I thought everything was going great for me, then one day I was rolling with one of the students and the instructor yelled at me to stop, that I was twisting the guys neck, All I was doing was clearing the neck from Mission Control. The instructor had no idea really what I was doing but knew it was "some kind of eddie bravo stuff". As he once said after from seeing

me grapple. He then blew up on me and when I say blew up I mean he called me every bad word you can think of and brought up eddie bravo saying I wanted to be him, then he proceeded to bad mouth 10th planet jj. Right there and then I realized this guy doesn't want me after all at his school and secretly hates everything about 10th planet. I got up and left... it was the most surreal experience ever. I still really can't believe that happened.

I now train the gi and no gi over @ Kombat Sports.

However i'm realizing mostly everything I do is from the 10th planet system, and would love a chance to finally go train at a affiliate school. I'm glad there is a school near by. I've seen the facility where you're located and pretty much dig it. Hopefully I can head on down soon.. well thanks for reading.

Brian Beaumont AKA Thor
08-20-2010, 07:32 PM
I told him that he's down with Eddie he's family here. You can join any gym but you belong to 10th planet. There are a lot of taleted, gifted, wounded warriors out there and it's my prayer that they'll all find a home. There are 3 stages that any new truth must pass through, 1) ridicule 2) Anger 3) they are excepted as self evident. I think 10th planet is passing from stage 2 to 3 but keep your guard up and help those in need.

Bill Keeling
08-20-2010, 07:43 PM
I can definitely relate!

Tim Elliott
08-20-2010, 10:23 PM
After reading this stuff on here I was pretty tense about using anything 10th Planet at the gym started at recently. Luckily the trainer is super open minded and is happy for anyone to do anything. He does straight no gi, and is awesome at it and Iv tried to sell 10th Planet to him, but he assures me the gi is the key to getting good at no gi. Quite entertaining and a lot better than getting yelled at!

If you get stuck in Townsville Australia look up Craig at Sphere Martial Arts.

ninel
08-20-2010, 10:45 PM
wow, that's an intense story bro. I don't know how I would have reacted in that situation, but most likely I would have been frozen in shock. I'm glad he found your school.

Jonathan Wylie
08-20-2010, 10:54 PM
I fear a similar situation. I recently started at a new gym after trying for a while to find one close enough to where I live with a no gi scheduale that would match mine. I found one with a pretty solid reputaion and got the gi will make your no gi game better from 3diferent coaches already. They were all super nice tho and I just listened respectfully and stuck to my guns about wanting to train no gi. I was even a little reluctant to where my melee shorts in fear somebody would make the conection but I wore them anyway. Its not redicule im worried about. People can talk all the shit they want I choose my own path and dont care what other people think. I just dont want to get tossed out on my can, I need a place to train! My plan is to fly under the radar learn everything I can and slip in the 10th planet stuff when I can and keep working it on my own. If anybody says anything about 10th planet or
Eddie Bravo Im just going to play dumb until I get a better fill for the situation. All they know about my prior jiu jitsu knowledge is that its been 8 yrs since Ive been in an actuale gym. Im not trying to decive anybody or disrespect them I just want to train jiu jitsu.

Tim Elliott
08-20-2010, 11:18 PM
I fear a similar situation. I recently started at a new gym after trying for a while to find one close enough to where I live with a no gi scheduale that would match mine. I found one with a pretty solid reputaion and got the gi will make your no gi game better from 3diferent coaches already. They were all super nice tho and I just listened respectfully and stuck to my guns about wanting to train no gi. I was even a little reluctant to where my melee shorts in fear somebody would make the conection but I wore them anyway. Its not redicule im worried about. People can talk all the shit they want I choose my own path and dont care what other people think. I just dont want to get tossed out on my can, I need a place to train! My plan is to fly under the radar learn everything I can and slip in the 10th planet stuff when I can and keep working it on my own. If anybody says anything about 10th planet or
Eddie Bravo Im just going to play dumb until I get a better fill for the situation. All they know about my prior jiu jitsu knowledge is that its been 8 yrs since Ive been in an actuale gym. Im not trying to decive anybody or disrespect them I just want to train jiu jitsu.

All I have, and all Im ever going to have where I am in NZ is some mats, a bunch of guys and the 10th Planet books, DVDs and this website, youtube, submissions 101 etc.

When I left NZ (Im in Australia for an operation) we were up to page 65 Mastering The Rubber Guard, which if you have it handy you will see is bugger all. I have drilled up to Old School, Plan B, The Electric Chair.

Coming to another gym here in Aussie which is thankfully open minded and No Gi friendly has taught me enough is it is en. I have been beasted by several guys, but have electric chaired a few. I have no one to drill with here, but I have got several things Iv never drilled, just studied the videos.

I cant wait to get back to my mats and the people I have who are willing to train and start working systematically from the books again. Eddie made them perfectly. Iv seen others in the same layout and they take three times as many pictures, and I still cant tell what the fuck they are on about. Have you considered just doing your own thing? A garage, some willing bodies, some mats, and periodic pilgrimages to 10th Planet gyms.

Jonathan Wylie
08-20-2010, 11:42 PM
I have over the years got a few guys who seemed interested to work with me here and there but nothing consistant I am however in the process of clearing out a room in my house and im going to buy some puzzle mats and really fix it up right in hopes this will get some people to take it serious but I still beleive a compatent coach is needed to complete your jiu jitsu game and I think it really accelerates the learning process. pg. 65 electric chair sweep next up stoner controle

Tim Elliott
08-21-2010, 01:35 AM
I completely agree with you. But it comes down to what you want to learn. I dont want to put a Gi on, I dont see the point. If the teachers you have are teaching you something you dont want to learn you are learning faster and progressing towards your ultimate goal more slowly. I wish I had a teacher (anyone want to move to Dunedin?) but I dont, so I have to make the best of it.

The problem I had before I left for aussie is that I ended up teaching a rapidly growing class. With no knowledge! Me and another guy would drill say, two to three techniques from the book every day of the week, then we would teach them to everyone else Wednesday and Saturday. It worked well enough but as we were drilling the stuff every day while the Muay Thai classes were running, people saw us doing it. They would ask to come, and I was say cool, more the merrier. I just feel like a fraud teaching when I dont really know anything.

Brian Beaumont AKA Thor
08-21-2010, 02:57 AM
It's OK to be the voice of one crying out in the wilderness. Work with what you've got. "When the student is ready the teacher appears". I self taught Eddie's stuff for 3 years before I met someone who actually trained with him. (John Botello very cool guy). My stuff wasn't perfect but I was surprised at how close I had got. Eveyone wants a master, coach, mentor to give them the answers they need. Sometimes you just have to accept that that person is you. Don't misrepressent yourself, everything I taught for the first 3 years started with "in my opinion". There's something to be said for working twice as hard for the same result. Then you've earned it. Stay commited to the process and good things will follow. There's more and more resources out there tap into them. And remember your family here. Know what you want and know why you want it. "Clear eyes and a full heart will never lose"

Michael O.
08-21-2010, 04:10 AM
I told him that he's down with Eddie he's family here. You can join any gym but you belong to 10th planet.

I've always felt this way.

Bill Keeling
08-21-2010, 06:15 AM
Alright, I'll share my story....

I started at a Rickson Gracie/Pedro Sauer academy. The jitz there was the best around, and I soon found that their jitz was amongst the best anywhere. I trained hard and received my Blue Belt in 7 months! This was quite an accomplishment at this academy, they were traditional, it usually took 1 1/2 to 2 yrs to get. The test, I paid for with pain and $$$, 4 hours and 90 techniques against two larger opponents, with about a year or more experience on me. If that wasn't enough, my instructor wanted to spar, and tried to throw me from a clinch, and folded my knee backwards (completely ripped the acl off) three months before the test!
Skip forward a little and at a seminar, Pedro told us that we needed to "cross train" with different styles. So I went to DC and trained with Ryan Hall, then caught a seminar with Eddie. Eddie and I hit it off and he showed me "the way" I remembered every single detail of what he taught me and used against higher belts with much more experience than me ;) I even used it the very first time against my Black Belt and he couldn't get out of my Lockdown, and just gave up. He said okay what are you gonna do now?
So that's when I started noticing he wasn't treating me like the prodigy he did before. I had been a "family member and key holder" to this academy for 5/6 years!!! I always shared my knawledge, didn't matter. I tried to ignore it, but when Rickson came into our academy and my instructor wouldn't allow me to come to the seminar, I knew it was time to go... Rickson was the whole reason I joined that academy! In the 12 hours I trained with Rickson I learned more than in 5 years of Jiu Jitsu!! No exaggerating, cereal! Super Cereal!!! That was my home....
So here I am, I can't open a 10th Planet here, because my instructor is a Police officer, and he would constantly harass me and my students. I have seen him do this before, to other students he had a prob with. I would not even put my students through that.
So I'm trying to get relocated, Eddie knows where and as soon as I get there, there's going to be another Moon on the board ;)

Ryan fortiN
08-21-2010, 01:30 PM
This is the beauty of this community! We have all been shunned, laughed at, or some other form of degradation for what we believe, and how we think. 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu has united us and given us a home, a way for free thinkers to gather under one banner! Now it is our jobs, those who have been saved, to go out and share the truth! Open more peoples minds, and have a sanctuary for those that have no mats to call home!

Kevin Green
08-21-2010, 01:52 PM
I had a Gi guy come in for a private like two weeks ago or so. While he was waiting around he went to some plaza to kill time before it started. He told me he ran into some Black Belt at another local Gi school..The kid was wearing a jj shirt and they started talking. The BB asked him why he was up here and the kids said to get a 10th P private from Kevin Green. He told me the BB rolled his eyes and said "I dont like that 10th Planet stuff, but Kevin is a real good" does that make any sense. If Im really good, and I use 10th P, wouldnt that mean 10th P is really good...any way, the kid had a good session and said all my shit was "sick" and he drove 2 hrs back home and will be back next week. So at the end of the day...its all just white noise.

Ryan fortiN
08-21-2010, 01:56 PM
This is how I started... I learned from lots, but didn't agree with most.....then I found 10th Planet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10thplanetjjvista/4914230016/

Kevin Green
08-21-2010, 01:59 PM
I hear you...my place is the gym for misfit fighters....we like it that way :)

AJ Camacho
08-21-2010, 02:33 PM
I've been very fortunate to have very open minded instructors wherever I've gone. I couldn't imagine being scolded by another adult just for trying things during open mat.

Eddie Bravo
08-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Awesome story :)

Jonathan Wylie
08-21-2010, 03:13 PM
"Eddie knows where and as soon as I get there, there's going to be another Moon on the board"
Houston Is a great place to live! lol, Look up the Woodlands Tx.

Donovan
08-21-2010, 04:57 PM
I've experienced similar circumstances. I bet there's millions of guys across the world that have to keep it under wraps while training at traditional places...more branches are definitely needed.*

Bill Keeling
08-21-2010, 05:20 PM
"Eddie knows where and as soon as I get there, there's going to be another Moon on the board"
Houston Is a great place to live! lol, Look up the Woodlands Tx.

That's Hilarious!!! I used to live in the Woodlands in the mid to late 80's! I'm not saying where yet, but when I get there, hold on to your socks Batman ;) I am so ready to make my 10th Planet SHINE!

Tim Elliott
08-21-2010, 05:55 PM
I've experienced similar circumstances. I bet there's millions of guys across the world that have to keep it under wraps while training at traditional places...more branches are definitely needed.*

There will be others who are not in places where there will not be a branch. Small towns a long way from anywhere etc. Strange foreign countries (NZ).

It's OK to be the voice of one crying out in the wilderness.
Like what Brian said, I dont really know how the group thing works, but we should have on for 10thPlanets wandering disciples. So those forced by circumstance to fend for themselves can share ideas.

It could have info on grading requirements (which I have heard reference to but cant find), travel logistics for going to gyms (wheres the cheapest place to stay near......), newby questions (everyone I train with has this rash.......). Im not really sure how the group thing works though.

michael craig
08-21-2010, 10:22 PM
that crap happend to me, i started gracie barra and i discovered there was a 10th planet school a hour away in charlotte,so i added some 10p stuff to my face book and talked about training there ..then i get a message from a cat that doesnt even know me and said "isnnt your teacher Y" and i said yes. "you know he is a afiiliate of Z "(who is a GB black belt)..."your a traiter"!!!

i was called everything in the book...and then told i should come back now or i might not be welcomed back later

i mean grow up.

Michael O.
08-21-2010, 10:27 PM
That's trippy that there's a lot of this going on

Jonathan Wylie
08-21-2010, 11:40 PM
That's Hilarious!!! I used to live in the Woodlands in the mid to late 80's! I'm not saying where yet, but when I get there, hold on to your socks Batman ;) I am so ready to make my 10th Planet SHINE!

If that was some kind of mind fuck prophecy I just made, I have a few things to say. 1) The Woodlands has a Gracie Barra and another one just 20 min away in Magnolia not that its a problem I have talke to a few guys from those schools and they seem cool. 2) You will have one hard core mother fucking Nibiru soilder waiting when you get here to stand by you. 3)Im probably going to have to revisit my beliefs about a higher power 4)contact me, I can keep a seceret and will do whatever I can to help you with the relocation i.e. scouting locations or WHATEVER! I even have a good real estate agent. e-mail: jmw0582@yahoo.com

.....and if I am way off base please excuse my crazy rant but this would be epic for me

michael craig
08-22-2010, 01:31 AM
if you think thats a mind fuck prophecy...i found 10th planet charlotte online one weekend,decided to go the next saturday and the night before i go i saw a vid online of a 10p charlotte student winning a gold at NAGA and his opponet looked familer,,it was a guy from my then schhool and at the bottom of the vid was my instructer at the time and his teacher and beside them was a guy in a ballcap yelling..and i found out it was jon my future and current instructer ..

its like 10t planet has some MYSTIC properties

Tim Elliott
08-22-2010, 06:39 AM
Nothing near so exciting for me.

I was training under a bluebelt in NZ who was under a blackbelt who lived in Brazil. The bluebelt had been training MMA and Muay Thai in our gym and teaching us BJJ. As it turned out, he did not have permission to teach. He taught some stuff and I heard him say X would kill us if he knew we were doing this. I asked what it was and he said "some Eddie Bravo shit". I said, whos he. They said "some guy that comes up with lots of off the wall stuff". I saw the book (Twister) sitting there too.

Then another MMA gym who was mates with blackbelt X paid for him to come from Brazil to New Zealand. He was a small, but extremely angry man. He made all the BJJ guys who had trained under him leave our gym and go to the one who paid for him to come out.

I went to a meeting of the gyms, where he claimed credit for all the guys wins as his own (even though they trained with us up to 18 hours a week). He sounded like a smaller angrier version of Renato. "I watch their fights [video] they winning with my shit, they winning on the ground". I thought that was funny because when I was there, they were training Eddies shit.

Anyway, we were out on our arse, but I remembered Eddies name, googled it, watched some off his stuff, found this place, bought all the books etc. Now we are happy again.

Cheers Eddie:cool:

michael craig
08-22-2010, 08:48 AM
im surprised he didnt try to charge you money for "his shit" just because you watched them train lol

Brian Beaumont AKA Thor
08-22-2010, 05:20 PM
The response seems to be universal. That's to be expected when the status quo is threatened. When your trained into a 1993 Royce Gracie mentality it's hard to except that you were just the beggining of a new era not the end. The danger for us (I think) will come when 10th Planet is superior in numbers as well as technique and mind set. It's easy to be the underdog but when we're #1 everyone will be picking at our heals even more than now. That's why I think we need to follow Eddie's example on this. It seems (correct me if I'm off base here Eddie) that the worse they get the more humble and respectful he gets. There are no us vs them hate speachs. I've heard him talk about the Gracie family like they're royalty. It takes something special to take the high road, but no one says we have to show any quarter in the ring. ;). Let's be better than that. Aynone who has read Animal Farm knows what I'm afraid of, "the pigs are walking". Let's not become like them. In the mean time let's take care of each other as well as the orphans who show up on our doorstep. Let's lead by example.

Tim Elliott
08-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Well put.

Tim Elliott
08-23-2010, 03:53 AM
Iv got my flexibility to the point where I can try some rubber guard stuff. And I did, tonight, with the guy whos gym Im training at. He was fine with it. Its a Will-Machado BJJ Australasia gym. I thought that was pretty cool.

Brian Beaumont AKA Thor
08-23-2010, 08:43 PM
One step at a time brother.The cool thing is that the resources are all out there. The rest is up to you. Work hard and have fun. (not nessisarily in that order) :)

michael craig
08-23-2010, 08:46 PM
with the books DVD's and forums and other practitioners it isnt hard to get advice or over any bumps