PDA

View Full Version : NEWS: Sherk: 'I hope to be in the UFC hall of Fame someday'

JordanSilva
02-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Sean Sherk isnít ready to retire, but when he is he hopes that his resume will send him into the UFC Hall of Fame.

ďIím not walking away, but if I were to walk away, Iíve done enough in my career to be happy with what Iíve accomplished,Ē Sherk said recently on the Sherdog Radio Network. ďI think Iíve cemented my place in this industry [through] everything Iíve done inside and outside the gym, and Iíve cemented my place in the UFC. I hope to be a Hall of Famer some day. Thatís my goal.Ē

A former UFC lightweight champion, Sherk has won nearly 40 bouts in more than a decade of fighting. In the midst of all those highs, he has had a few lows. In 2007 he tested positive for a steroid, though he denied using the banned substance. At another point, he had to step away from the sport because MMA had not yet exploded in popularity and he wasnít making enough money.

ďIt wasnít something I wanted to do. I was forced to leave because there was no money in this industry,Ē Sherk explained. ďThere was no sponsorship. There were no MMA expos. There were not very many gyms around the country. There was no seminars, no appearances. Ö There was nothing really going on in this industry. It was still growing, and I had to walk away because I had a house. I had to pay bills.Ē

read entire article: http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Sherk-Wants-Spot-in-UFC-Hall-of-Fame-29839

Jameson (Weebo)
02-02-2011, 02:34 PM
i heard the interview on Beat Down. I thought it was nice he stopped by the booth, chatted with the guys and promoted some training mask. Best of luck to him.

Jonathan Wylie
02-02-2011, 04:38 PM
sounds a little self inflated

“It wasn’t something I wanted to do. I was forced to leave because there was no money in this industry,” Sherk explained. “There was no sponsorship. There were no MMA expos. There were not very many gyms around the country. There was no seminars, no appearances. … There was nothing really going on in this industry. It was still growing, and I had to walk away because I had a house. I had to pay bills.”

Sing this sad story to Randy Couture.

“I think I’ve cemented my place in this industry [through] everything I’ve done inside and outside the gym, and I’ve cemented my place in the UFC. I hope to be a Hall of Famer some day. That’s my goal.”

Sounds like he's campaingning for the Hall of Fame. Thats kind of like campaingning for your own belt promotion.

Mike Nall
02-02-2011, 05:57 PM
This dude ain't gonna be in any Hall of Fame. He won the belt when it had a vacant opening, defended the belt one time, then popped positive for PEDs, was stripped of his title, and got his ass handed to him by BJ Penn when he tried to get it back.

Since summer 2008 he's had 3 fights: a decision win, a loss, and a gift decision when Evan Dunham was absolutely robbed.

The 'roids alone will keep him out of the Hall of Fame.

Mike Nall
02-02-2011, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE=... "I’ve cemented my place in the UFC. I hope to be a Hall of Famer some day. That’s my goal.”[/QUOTE]

I know I sound harsh, but even discounting all the PED stuff, getting stripped of the belt, etc... 5-3 in the UFC isn't exactly cementing job security with ZUFFA, let alone a Hall of Fame spot.

He's not even on a winning streak. He's coming off one win.

bobby rivers
02-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Dudes done a shit ton.

Nate Hollyfield
02-02-2011, 10:54 PM
I dont think Sherk should even entertain himself with that idea... he never did anything amazing. He probably just thinks cause he has been in the UFC forever he should get it.

Jonathan Wylie
02-03-2011, 02:48 AM
Dudes done shit.

There I fixed it for you Bobby.:)

Justin W.
02-03-2011, 07:16 AM
In his last 7 fights alone, he has wins over Nick Diaz, Kenny Florian, Hermes Franca, Tyson Griffin, and Evan Dunham with his only losses coming from BJ Penn, GSP, Matt Hughes, and Frankie Edgar. Never been submitted and his record is outstanding 36-4-1. The guy never seems to get any credit for anything.

Dustin C.
02-03-2011, 11:01 AM
^ I agree i think sherk is fun to watch. He works hard in and out of the ring, has a better record than A LOT of people and no lay and pray stuff :)