PDA

View Full Version : how to avoid getting choked by strong dudes?

Ramone (RAM) Codrington
02-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Everytime I whip up in half guard im getting darced but mainly giulotined by the bigger guys. I like going to the boa to avoid this but sometimes I cant get me lockdown in. do I keep boa in standard half and work for the lockdown or what? As soon as I release the boa pow im getting caught?

Chris Herzog
02-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Get to work on the Mechanic sweep.

bobby rivers
02-03-2011, 09:22 AM
never let them connect their hands.

Brandon Mccaghren
02-03-2011, 09:33 AM
if he connects his hands, it's death. DEATH!

mechanic is the best answer i know of if you wanna stay with half guard. i have been running away from half guard lately and pushing to get back to butterfly or full.

Randy Butler
02-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Have you tried working the whip down?

bobby rivers
02-03-2011, 10:47 AM
^ you've got the under hook. Whip down works best when he won't give it up.

Eddie Bravo
02-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Don't wash ur ass :)

John Roderick
02-03-2011, 11:27 AM
HA! Don't let them get set and get their hands/arms in position, no matter what guard or other technique you're using. The Mechanic sweep is a good option. Don't just settle in either. Keep attacking them. If you keep aggressively trying to sweep/attack them, they will be more concerned with defending. Also remember, the hardest thing for a larger opponent is to keep up with a smaller, faster opponent. You can't stay still too long with a bigger/stronger opponent. That's what they want. If you can get to Boa, attack them with sweeps or trying to get to their back immediately and often. Good luck.

Jeff Doherty
02-03-2011, 11:31 AM
+1 on the mechanic. It's my go to sweep. Also, just try to stay generally tighter and lower down on his hips.

Chris Leavelle
02-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Any one got a video on this Mechanic sweep?

*nevermind MTS 13 has it

Chris Leavelle
02-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Everytime I whip up in half guard im getting darced but mainly giulotined by the bigger guys. I like going to the boa to avoid this but sometimes I cant get me lockdown in. do I keep boa in standard half and work for the lockdown or what? As soon as I release the boa pow im getting caught?

Eddie's got a video somewhere, it might have been on the old site under techniques, that explains every thing your talking about. Boa, Dog fight, limp arm, Back or Truck.