PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Royce Gracie interview!

Eddie Bravo
02-03-2011, 03:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-p7-vOhzlw

Justin H
02-03-2011, 03:17 PM
why do they still think people talk shit on them, its astonishing

James Davis
02-03-2011, 03:22 PM
I don't get this shit..this is coming from a dude that wasn't even into BJJ 6 months ago...but still...let's see...

Eddie is a Machado Black Belt in the Gi...guy beats Royler as a Brown. Belts...starts 10th planet...writes some books, gives props to the gracie's....but every gracie hates him? How does that work? It all comes down to one thing...that you can't beat a gracie fair and square and start up a school. Oh, and you better not smoke weed and make up cool names either...I mean far be it for people to actually be able to identify them. Maybe he should visit HQ and roll with eddie...

What I do see is Rener's crew talking about what is REAL JIU JITSU and all of that and if you are not learning in Torrance you're not learning Gracie Jiu Jitsu...and there's some mess going on with his uncle Renzo where they told one of his uncle's students that they shouldn't go to torrance because what he learned in New York wasn't real Gracie Jiu Jitsu. Renzo went on an epic rant...like he said..put that shit on the mat.

I just think the whole gracieuniversity thing is trying to make BJJ Tae Kwon Do. I get nervous where anyone talks about "real self-defence stitch e ation"...that stuff gets your ass beat! Sure I'm a bullshido disciple so I don't buy anything can prepare you for a real street fight because there are too many factors...just saying...ok..I'm off topic...

Chrismasonic
02-03-2011, 03:32 PM
i don't believe he is implying Eddie is one of those guys...

bobby rivers
02-03-2011, 03:34 PM
I like memory games.

Tyler Timmermans
02-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Eddie creates new moves and names them so in a way he is talking about Eddie.

James Davis
02-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Eddie creates new moves and names them so in a way he is talking about Eddie.

yeah....no way he could be talking about anyone accept eddie...

Chrismasonic
02-03-2011, 03:46 PM
for the naming techniques...but not the talking shit

James Davis
02-03-2011, 04:01 PM
for the naming techniques...but not the talking shit

but that's just it...no one is talking shit about gracie jiu jitsu...they are talking shit about everyone else...

Tyler Timmermans
02-03-2011, 04:06 PM
some thing i notice is that he give gives other people shit for saying they came up with a new system but thats what his family did from Japanese jujitsu and he doesn't mention that.

Bill Keeling
02-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Could be Hughes?

Bill Keeling
02-03-2011, 04:08 PM
some thing i notice is that he give gives other people shit for saying they came up with a new system but thats what his family did from Japanese jujitsu and he doesn't mention that.

Tyler is a wise person!

Compella
02-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Wow, Royce's RNC is so tight it puts you into a dream, that's some strong shit.

AJ Camacho
02-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Yeah, he should charge $5 for a lucid dream.

Aab
02-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Did somebody say something about tigers?

James III
02-03-2011, 07:05 PM
but every gracie hates him? How does that work?

I don't know if I would say that. Last year I registered with Gracie University to get access to their free 1st lesson to see what it was like. I think they show it for free now without without registering but I digress.

Anyway I searched 10th Planet in their forum and this was one of the things I found.

Q. What is the thought on Eddie Bravo and what he has done for jiu jitsu?
CG (7/2/2009 10:12 PM)
A. He's very talented, and has obviously brought a lot to the modern game of jiu-jitsu. His approach to JJ does differ from our philosophy toward fighting and toward life in general, however. You can read up more on our philosophy on this site, as well as at www.gracieacademy.com .
GracieAcademy2

I'm not sure if describing Eddie as very talented and crediting him with bringing alot to the modern game of Jiu-jitsu could be described as hate. At least to me anyway. I have never been to the Gracie academy but I have heard from various people that Rener and Ryron themselves are very respectfull of other styles of Jiu-jitsu. Not sure about the other instructors or students there though given the Renzo incident.

Adam Martin
02-03-2011, 10:03 PM
who created these "names" for the moves? haha my father did not need names....

Jeremy "j.jitzu" Fields
02-03-2011, 10:26 PM
You need to know your basic's. Thats the only thing i picked up of use. Basic's are very important. Remember, without Royce or the family, ufc would not be where its at. And he is way more popular than any fighter.I came from a Royce Gracie black belt. And have trained many times with him. But without Eddie Bravo, i would never be where im at in my jiujitsu.

James Davis
02-03-2011, 10:35 PM
I don't know if I would say that. Last year I registered with Gracie University to get access to their free 1st lesson to see what it was like. I think they show it for free now without without registering but I digress.

Anyway I searched 10th Planet in their forum and this was one of the things I found.

Q. What is the thought on Eddie Bravo and what he has done for jiu jitsu?
CG (7/2/2009 10:12 PM)
A. He's very talented, and has obviously brought a lot to the modern game of jiu-jitsu. His approach to JJ does differ from our philosophy toward fighting and toward life in general, however. You can read up more on our philosophy on this site, as well as at www.gracieacademy.com .
GracieAcademy2

I'm not sure if describing Eddie as very talented and crediting him with bringing alot to the modern game of Jiu-jitsu could be described as hate. At least to me anyway. I have never been to the Gracie academy but I have heard from various people that Rener and Ryron themselves are very respectfull of other styles of Jiu-jitsu. Not sure about the other instructors or students there though given the Renzo incident.

I'm going more off of what Eddie himself has said whenever he comes across a gracie or one of their students. Of course I don't literally mean every single gracie.

Zachtheripper19
02-03-2011, 11:37 PM
This guy is pissed because some body took his material and improved and evolved it for a new sport in a new century ... which is what they did with kimura's material ... yeah read ur history royce, helio lost to that guy so yall took his stuff, claimed it as ur own, and evolved it, so keep ur basics we will keep creating... I have read material from every major mind in jiu jitsu today and i can not find any one more creative and humble than Eddie... that guy is my fuckin hero! He makes this stuff available to everyone, because he wants to have an even playing field otherwise you can never know who is truly the best... he never entered a competition in which he had to face basically unarmed opponents to look good... This shit is all from China and Japan and you dont see them complaining. Keep up the good work Eddie and all the awesome, intelligent minds at 10th planet

bobby rivers
02-04-2011, 01:01 AM
Good post Zach.

Robert Kipness
02-04-2011, 01:08 AM
yeah....no way he could be talking about anyone accept eddie...

Uh yeah actually he could, what about the spider guard or the De La Riva guard, The "barbosa" guard, the 50/50, The Darce/Brabo choke, etc. etc. All of these names were made up from other people as well. No where in the video did he specifically call out Eddie or 10th Planet. You guys are all up in arms and getting defensive over nothing. Obviously he is referring to you people who are getting pissy over this, as Gracie haters because in a way you are. You think he is specifically referring to Eddie and 10th Planet when he said no such thing and you're getting your panties in a wad. There has been quite a few techniques/guards "invented" and named. Quit reading so much into petty things and if you think your system is better then put on your big boy undies and let your Jiu Jitsu do your talking on the mat at some comps.

Ben
02-04-2011, 07:18 AM
Uh yeah actually he could, what about the spider guard or the De La Riva guard, The "barbosa" guard, the 50/50, The Darce/Brabo choke, etc. etc. All of these names were made up from other people as well. No where in the video did he specifically call out Eddie or 10th Planet. You guys are all up in arms and getting defensive over nothing. Obviously he is referring to you people who are getting pissy over this, as Gracie haters because in a way you are. You think he is specifically referring to Eddie and 10th Planet when he said no such thing and you're getting your panties in a wad. There has been quite a few techniques/guards "invented" and named. Quit reading so much into petty things and if you think your system is better then put on your big boy undies and let your Jiu Jitsu do your talking on the mat at some comps.

It really doesn't matter who he is talking about; he's still wrong, and he's still saying things that are simply untrue. To think that the evolution of the art is over and that naming moves is bad is the silliest thing I've heard in a while. Names simply help people know exactly what position you are in when doing a certain movement. It isn't there to test your memory. That, and proof that the art is evolving is IN those new guard styles coming up and from new moves that came up like in 10th Planet JJ. The whole thing shows that evolution is constant. With what Royce is saying, it sounds like he would have Gracie JJ go the way of Kung Fu and Karate, and just age past usefulness.

Brandon Palmer
02-04-2011, 07:31 AM
I had a whole paragraph written but i was sure it would have started a fire, so i'll just say this.

Royce...

*BIIIIIIIG sigh*

James Davis
02-04-2011, 10:15 AM

calm down cowboy...I love gracie jiu jitsu...I just was questioning the 10th planet hate

James Davis
02-04-2011, 10:40 AM
It really doesn't matter who he is talking about; he's still wrong, and he's still saying things that are simply untrue. To think that the evolution of the art is over and that naming moves is bad is the silliest thing I've heard in a while. Names simply help people know exactly what position you are in when doing a certain movement. It isn't there to test your memory. That, and proof that the art is evolving is IN those new guard styles coming up and from new moves that came up like in 10th Planet JJ. The whole thing shows that evolution is constant. With what Royce is saying, it sounds like he would have Gracie JJ go the way of Kung Fu and Karate, and just age past usefulness.

and that's the point. No one is butt hurt about Royce having issues with innovation. That shit always gets solved on the mat anyway. However, when it comes to what Royce and Rener are doing with the REAL GRACIE JIU JITSU marketing and real self-defence stitch ee ation promotion ....I'm with Renzo..they appear to be trying to turn BJJ into Tae Kwon Do or Karate....

http://thefightworkspodcast.com/2009/11/29/renzo-gracie/

See, this whole thing about the Real Jiu Jitsu and negativity about innovation is purely on the marketing tip. I don't even thing Royce has a problem with 10th planet...but if people start thinking their spot is the only REAL JIU JITSU then they have the ultimate marketing. I went to a couple of gracie spots and mentioned submission wrestling and 10th planet and was told that 10th planet wasn't real BJJ....I'm like, Eddie's a machado black belt..how can it not be real BJJ.

This is happening and as the popularity of BJJ grows we it is obvious that some have taking to talking shit about others for profit. It's just from my opinion and experience. I will never train at a place that shits on someone else's system or discourages cross training or rolling with other schools.

AndyK5
02-04-2011, 10:51 AM
It sounds like he is talking about Eddie but i think he is not. He is mixing the Gracie JJ haters with the people who want to roll using advanced showtime moves without perfecting the basics, talking down on both of them together.
I did train under one of Royce's black belts before, almost all of us were white or very new blue belts and we drilled armbar, kimura, triangle, lapel choke, armlock, guard pass, get on your knees from side control, mount from side control and keep the mount day in day out, nothing else. They really stick to basics and favor of perfecting them before moving on to anything else.
Again when Eddie finishes an armbar, he does not twist the arm in a way that has never been or seen before. He forces the elbow joint to bend backwards and gets the tap, just like GJJ does, which is the basics. How he gets there is his own style, which was dictated by and suited to his strength, stamina, size of his extremities and his overall body composition. He evolved them to a point where others can learn an adapt his style which is respectable and undeniable no matter how hard you try.
On a different note, I do not agree with Royce on Gracie's the reason why everybody is feeding on this industry. Well wrestling, throws, guard, submissions...overall grappling existed before Helio Gracie was a vitamin C molecule in an orange prior his own father ate it and converted him to a sperm. Rorion created UFC as a marketing tool and he was not trying to open the eyes of the word to BJJ, he was not trying to teach this ultimate art to the weak and poor so they can defend themselves on the streets. He was trying to make money and they made a good amount of it. If you really look for people to thank to since the industry is so big and people can make a living off teaching jiu jitsu, go thank Dana White and Fertita brothers.

Jon Watkins
02-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Great video. Some of the comments cause my heart feel sick though.

john botello
02-04-2011, 12:40 PM
I talked to Renato, and he said he was calling in "his guy" Rev. Jesse Jackson to settle this peacefully :)

James Davis
02-04-2011, 12:57 PM
I talked to Renato, and he said he was calling in "his guy" Rev. Jesse Jackson to settle this peacefully :)

lol!! That Black Guy...That Jesse Jackson Guy...He's my guy!

Ric
02-04-2011, 01:15 PM
I don't see how Royce can say there's nothing new. You can't compare jiu jitsu to boxing. True, no one has invented a new punch in boxing...but there have been plenty of new techniques invented since the days when Helio Gracie developed GJJ.

Doug "Minnesota"
02-04-2011, 01:34 PM
I don't know if it's just me but this back and forth between Jiu-jitsu camps is becoming exceedingly obnoxious. We waste way to much time on this forum talking about it.

Danny Stolfi
02-04-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm borderline thrown off by the title of this thread, im sensing sarcasm bc it really does sound like Eddie fits into the category of one of those ppl Royce is talking about...aside from the talking shit about the Gracie family, we know thats not the truth

James Davis
02-04-2011, 01:53 PM
I don't see how Royce can say there's nothing new. You can't compare jiu jitsu to boxing. True, no one has invented a new punch in boxing...but there have been plenty of new techniques invented since the days when Helio Gracie developed GJJ.

not to mention boxing has evolved quite a bit from the 20's until now. Boxers had to change how they punched with the advent of gloves. Then things changed again when boxers stopped until someone was knocked out. Scoring changed many boxing techniques. Sure, a hook is still a hook and a jab is still a jab, however there are different approaches and innovations, with stances and defense, not to mention individual style.

James Davis
02-04-2011, 01:58 PM
I don't know if it's just me but this back and forth between Jiu-jitsu camps is becoming exceedingly obnoxious. We waste way to much time on this forum talking about it.

I really don't think it's a back and forth. When is eddie critiquing the gracies ever? When are any of his students? What I see is a continual push by royce and rener to trademark BJJ and talk shit about anything else.

It is obvious who Royce is talking about. So why did he feel the need to even speak on it? Just think...Rogan is a 10th planet guy and he calls out the moves in reference to the 10th planet system. Kids are coming into BJJ spots talking about crackhead control and chill dog. The 10th planet terminology is becoming the de facto standard of describing moves and ground action for the most popular MMA body. When you think of it, it really does make sense.

Rener is a lot more elegant about it and is very careful not to say things that would start funk with other camps, but it all comes back to...if you are not doing Gracie (Torrance) Jiu Jitsu you are not doing real BJJ.

VJ Bella
02-04-2011, 02:05 PM

Excellent point...their family took a style of a martial art and evolved and adapted it to modern day street fighting. How is this any different that taking their hybrid style and evolving it and adapting it to MMA and cage fighting???

djradoff
02-04-2011, 02:08 PM
The beauty of Gracie Jiu Jitsu is due in part from the fact that it's origins come from taking the knowledge gained from learning Japanese Jiu Jitsu and transforming it into something their own and practical for their environment. This same beauty shines through in the advancements made in this martial art by the likes of Eddie, Marcelo, Caio, and Jeff Glover to name a few, and is inspired by the likes of men such as Helio Gracie.

djradoff
02-04-2011, 02:10 PM
I am looking forward to a response from Eddie, but perhaps he said all he needed to when he started this post. "Can't we all just get along."

James Davis
02-04-2011, 02:28 PM
I think you're right. 10th planet moons are popping up all around...the grappler tournaments, mma fighters and happy students speak for themselves.

MMA is going to replace boxing...it's pretty much a done deal..kids want to be mma fighters...they are getting into wrestling, boxing, muay thai and BJJ...

There's going to be plenty of money to be made for everyone.

James III
02-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Huge fan of Royce, can never forget what he has done in MMA but to me he has got it wrong comapring Jiu-jitsu to Boxing.

In boxing you can only your two arms in a punching motion while standing. In Jiu-jitsu you can use your whole entire body in a huge variety of ways. Really strange comparison to make in my opinion. Especially all the new moves that have been created in BJJ and the potential to make even more.

derrick ikwueme
02-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Fuck it back to training !

DarbyBarby
02-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Fuck it back to training !

Exactly lets get over this bullshit, people are gonna talk shit no matter what. I'm gonna play some COD and listen to the newest Rogan podcast :D!

einstein
02-04-2011, 10:12 PM
royce has just proved why brasil is a 3rd world country. why innovate or evolve? name set ups for moves? what ?preposterous! those football coaches better just yell throw the ball to that guy that way in the super bowl.

Brandon Mccaghren
02-04-2011, 10:30 PM
name set ups for moves? What ?preposterous! Those football coaches better just yell throw the ball to that guy that way in the super bowl.

this part

Jonah Kaimuloa
02-05-2011, 12:16 AM
ok... i've been a fan of bjj, since the early UFC days. i've recently became a fan of 10th planet jj(i'm not kissing any asses right now) and i've been looking at all these forums and i see all this back and forth on who's jj is better??? i'm down with tradition and inovation, but to me... isn't it all jj??? i know i'm a white belt and i love using a gi, but i love the whole creativity of grappling and how you can make any technique, if you could not be narrow minded and evolve as an individual.... much respect to all the jj practitioners and masters out there... enough with names and just train. mahalo everyone, hopefully i didn't bore you in my "peace, love, unity, respect" attitude.

Jonathan Wylie
02-05-2011, 12:25 AM
ok... i've been a fan of bjj, since the early UFC days. i've recently became a fan of 10th planet jj(i'm not kissing any asses right now) and i've been looking at all these forums and i see all this back and forth on who's jj is better??? i'm down with tradition and inovation, but to me... isn't it all jj??? i know i'm a white belt and i love using a gi, but i love the whole creativity of grappling and how you can make any technique, if you could not be narrow minded and evolve as an individual.... much respect to all the jj practitioners and masters out there... enough with names and just train. mahalo everyone, hopefully i didn't bore you in my "peace, love, unity, respect" attitude.

Well sure, it's easy to be so laid back when you live in Hawaii.

James Davis
02-05-2011, 12:28 AM
well sure, it's easy to be so laid back when you live in hawaii.

truth!

Jonah Kaimuloa
02-05-2011, 12:31 AM
so true... it's just the island lifestyle bro.

bobby rivers
02-05-2011, 12:58 AM
ha

Aab
02-05-2011, 05:40 AM
royce has just proved why brasil is a 3rd world country. why innovate or evolve? name set ups for moves? what ?preposterous! those football coaches better just yell throw the ball to that guy that way in the super bowl.

hahaha

Ron Almeida
02-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Royce should tell Brazilian Cristiano Marcello that he cant develop a system... "The CM System is a martial arts form that utilizes highly developed jiu-jitsu technics specifically for the application into the sport of MMA. Cristiano Marcello created and developed this new concept with his 20 years of experience while at the world famous Chuteboxe Academy in Curitiba, Brazil. CM has helped and perfected the fight game of today’s greatest MMA champions." - Cristiano's website

c.grant collins
04-02-2012, 04:27 PM
well i just lost some respect for royce

Jason Koh
04-02-2012, 09:19 PM
honestly speaking, people give too much respect to the gracies and not the japanese

Frank R.
04-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Gracie's are a family, Japanese are an entire race lol.

bennett
04-02-2012, 10:26 PM
honestly speaking, people give too much respect to the gracies and not the japanese

really people who train BJJ don't give wrestling enough credit

Jason Koh
04-02-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm talking about Judokas and japanese jiu-jitsu practitioners. They're the ones that started JJ. Idk if this is true or not but I've heard someone say all of Gracie Jiu Jitsu techniques are the same as Japanese JJ and that the Gracie haven't developed anything new.

NavarroJuan
04-03-2012, 03:03 AM
I like potatoes.

Kyle Spalla
04-03-2012, 05:14 AM
Kodokan/Kosen Judo=Brazilian Jiu Jitsu you'll never hear a Gracie say that.

Dylan Ehrnreiter
04-03-2012, 05:49 AM
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc50/dylan7thstory/extremefacepalm.png

Kurzy
04-03-2012, 07:27 AM
http://thefightworkspodcast.com/2009/11/29/renzo-gracie/

Some notable quotes from that interview:

Let me tell you what the real jiu jitsu is: the real jiu jitsu is the one that doesn’t back away from a challenge. It goes at the obstacle and defends its flag.

The jiu jitsu was good when nobody else knew any jiu jitsu. Now, everybody knows, so now, only those who are really good shine.

Funny thing is, he condemns people for "talking shit" about other schools or claiming to be "real" BJJ, but then a little while later he ends up talking shit about other schools and claims to be reall BJJ. Just a note.

I went to a couple of gracie spots and mentioned submission wrestling and 10th planet and was told that 10th planet wasn't real BJJ....I'm like, Eddie's a machado black belt..how can it not be real BJJ.

This is happening and as the popularity of BJJ grows we it is obvious that some have taking to talking shit about others for profit. It's just from my opinion and experience. I will never train at a place that shits on someone else's system or discourages cross training or rolling with other schools.[/QUOTE]

Pride is a funny thing. I used to see that all the time back in the days when I was into TKD. We would show up to tournaments and place well,but we were hated on because we were a stand-alone, basically rogue club that wasn't affiliated with the popular affiliations.
The guys from other schools would act as if we were second-hand scum because we were unknown to them, but we always did well because our club used to be combat based TaeKwon Do instead of tournament based.

Kurzy
04-03-2012, 07:28 AM
Shoot, I don't see and edit button. Part of that text is a Renzo quote. The second last paragraph.
(This is happening and as the popularity....)

Kyle Spalla
04-03-2012, 07:31 AM
Haters gonna hate...

David Rosado
04-03-2012, 11:08 AM

Seriously. If a tech works, I'll take it from an Eddie hater. If a 10th tech doesn't work for me, I won't use it. When it comes down to it, it's not so much the art, but the practitioner and the coaches who make the difference.

I respect Royce the way I respect some old folks in my life. Sometimes they'll drop gems (this BJJ is not what my father created it for), sometimes they'll say closed minded stupid age biased stuff (giving moves names and inventing moves is stupid). I don't hate Royce. I'm not mad at his ignorance. I just chalk it up to that...ignorance.

Is it annoying that people bash the system I chose to dedicate myself to? Of course. But as it's been said, I'd rather let my work to the talking. In the mean time, when i see tourney vids where we win, I feel like I'm winning with them. And when we lose, I'm asking questions to see what WE can do better.

10th planet is a great system. The best for myself. But as the game evolves, so does 10th planet. So we're growing with the rest of the sport. Part of growing is growing pains. And like I've said before, one day, 10th planet's greatness will be undeniable.

Joachim Hoff
04-03-2012, 11:30 AM
I'm just too old, and have trained in too many styles to care about elitist bickering like this. I'm the consumer, and I really don't care. This style is perfect for me, and I'm not gonna feel the need to explain the reasons why to anyone.
If I have a particular mindset it's all geared towards MMA based training, and MMA, like old-school NHB, is all about evolving. For me it's an easy choice.

sean applegate
04-03-2012, 01:08 PM
the basics..the basics...the basics 6x's......damn

DBK
04-03-2012, 01:50 PM
well it makes sense - i bet royce doesnt know that his own former student louis ho invented the de la hova guard.

DBK
04-03-2012, 03:37 PM
someone posted this in our group, speaking of inventing stuff. it looks like gracie jiu jitsu.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp1B-2LEMS4&feature=related

FRANK BARCA
04-03-2012, 07:00 PM
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc50/dylan7thstory/extremefacepalm.png

lol

Tony Toffolo
04-03-2012, 07:15 PM
someone posted this in our group, speaking of inventing stuff. it looks like gracie jiu jitsu.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp1B-2LEMS4&feature=related

HAHA that part at 0:02 where the guy picks up what looks like a child only to toss them back down was hilarious!

back to the discussion, royce is acting like a dick. like the leader of a gang who just wants to pick fights and prefers to keep the feuding alive.

Louis Ho
04-03-2012, 08:42 PM
well it makes sense - i bet royce doesnt know that his own former student louis ho invented the de la hova guard.

De la Hova guard is the future.

AndyK5
04-03-2012, 10:27 PM
There is only one thing I can say about that interview.
Royce is wearing lipstick and thats that....

Don't tell him I said that though....

DBK
04-04-2012, 07:17 AM
De la Hova guard is the future.

de la hova, reverse de la hova, and the de la hova choke are all the future of jiu jitsu.