PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Silva and Steven Seagal

Cole
02-05-2011, 11:39 PM
What's up with this? Is Anderson just playin a joke on everyone or does he take it seriously? what do u guys think

thomas j
02-06-2011, 12:49 AM
best respect guru seagal

thomas j
02-06-2011, 12:50 AM
face kick via marked for death

grappler
02-06-2011, 12:58 AM
Seagal can beat anybody he wants ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bup2ffVKBb8

John Alighieri
02-06-2011, 03:06 AM
Loved when Seagal told Anderson to call him Sensei instead of Steven hahaha

James Davis
02-06-2011, 03:22 AM
Loved when Seagal told Anderson to call him Sensei instead of Steven hahaha

yeah...or coach...I couldn't stop laughing....hey...whatever works...

RichardC
02-06-2011, 11:30 AM
From what I understand, Seagal is the highest-ranked Aikido master that isn't Japanese. I was a 4th kyu in Aikido in high school, and I know from experience that almost all of those on-the-fly wristlocks and throws are worthless. They look/feel awesome, anyway, just not practical.

Silva said on MMA Live after the fights that Seagal is the one that helped him perfect that front kick to the jaw.

Matt "Gumby" Glach
02-06-2011, 11:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcNgrp2Ftew&feature=player_embedded

i posted this on the other thread but seems appropriate here too

James Davis
02-06-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm calling BS....I think Anderson is a fan of Seagals and all but...uhm...this is from 3 years ago..

http://i32.tinypic.com/33equlg.gif

so obviously he had it in his repertoire before Seagal started "training" him. Anderson is playing with us....My Muay Thai coach tells me that's a pretty standard kick. The awesomeness of it is that only Silva could knock someone out with it.....

In fact...you learn this variation of the front kick within the first couple of weeks of muay thai training...

Chris Leavelle
02-06-2011, 12:05 PM
That kick is pretty standard in a lot of martial arts. Silva's been throwing Front Kicks for awhile, I think Seagal was saying he was helping him refine some kicks. Silva set that up perfect looking at Belforts stomach then throwing the kick to the face. Also early in that fight Silva throws a kick to Belfort's knee, that lead side kick I first saw in Bruce Lee's book.

http://books.google.com/books?id=5IxGE4K8Gp0C&pg=PA68&lpg=PA68&dq=bruce+lee+side+kick+to+the+knee&source=bl&ots=BPtNdiS08v&sig=35uzL14QPciqRLmOiJmOBiyo20w&hl=en&ei=LPBOTfzmL8zqgQeNv63XDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBsQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=bruce%20lee%20side%20kick%20to%20the%20knee&f=false

James Davis
02-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Well one things for sure...I think I'd like to hang out with Seagal..seems like a fun dude....

pstover
02-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Anybody recall on one of the recent MTS Tae Kwon Joes when Eddie was asking why not take that front kick up from the abdomen to the face? Is Anderson a closet 10th Planeteer?

Brandon Mccaghren
02-06-2011, 03:05 PM
that's just a standard issue front kick. it just isn't utilized that much in MMA for whatever reason. i use it all the time (though i have never knocked anybody out with it). when you kick that high it takes the thrust away from your hips and turns into more of a snap kick than a power shot. like a really, really powerful jab.

there are a ton of styles that utilize that kick. muay thai calls it a teep (don't know if i am spelling it right), i believe. taekwon do practices it, as well as tang soo do (which is the base style at our academy).

great knockout by silva. he's amazing.

chronic_jiujitsu
02-06-2011, 04:00 PM
yeah not an unusual kick at all. Though i think someone like anderson can use it best. simply because of his build. A lot of shorter guys that use it cant get that power behind it. but if you are tall, and especially having a shorter opponent.. that seems like a great kick to use. And also.. anderson has the speed to pull it off. and simple strategy. watch his eyes when he does it. he's looking at vitor's feet the whole time. like hes going to do something low.. and you can see him glimpse up as to see "ok, where do i need to aim".. and then looks back down right before he throws it. thats a good way to throw someone off that you are aiming at their head. So i'd say.. speed + height + strategy = great kick for anderson.
As for Steven.. If hes earned that high of a ranking in anything.. im sure he knows some valuable stuff. But for the most part a lot of those techniques arent going to woek in MMA (realistically youre not going to grab someone's hand out of mid-air to get a wrist lock).. but like i said, im sure theres some moves that would convert over great to MMA. after all thats why its called MIXED martial arts. I personally am not fond of a lot of wing-chun.. but there's some great techniques that convert over to certain MMA situations. So i say, If he offers to teach you something.. and you feel the rest of your game is where you want it.. why not see what he has to offer. Though if i were anderson.. i would probably work a little more on my jiu-jitsu. Not to say he isnt great.. but it seems that if you get past his guard.. there's not much there.

Taylor Culbertson
02-06-2011, 04:37 PM
http://mimg.ugo.com/200908/11089/steven-seagall-guitar.jpg

Tim Elliott
02-06-2011, 11:10 PM
I'm calling BS....I think Anderson is a fan of Seagals and all but...uhm...this is from 3 years ago..

http://i32.tinypic.com/33equlg.gif

so obviously he had it in his repertoire before Seagal started "training" him. Anderson is playing with us....My Muay Thai coach tells me that's a pretty standard kick. The awesomeness of it is that only Silva could knock someone out with it.....

In fact...you learn this variation of the front kick within the first couple of weeks of muay thai training...

Not to the face you wouldnt.

I was watching the footage from Game of Death and I think that Anderson Silva is a student of the late Bruce Lee. All martial artists should watch it.

Jonah Kaimuloa
02-07-2011, 02:09 AM
I call BS on this fight... Despite all the fake to the stomach(by looking) and then hit the face is all BS. I'm starting to think that MMA is turning out to be fixed. They just had a big thing in Sumo, that there were a lot of wrestlers cheating, by throwing the fights.... some big thing in Japan. I know that was a horrible comparrison, but Sumo's still big in Japan... I hope that MMA never turns out to be some big lie.

Daniel Elizondo
02-07-2011, 05:31 AM
I call BS on this fight... Despite all the fake to the stomach(by looking) and then hit the face is all BS. I'm starting to think that MMA is turning out to be fixed. They just had a big thing in Sumo, that there were a lot of wrestlers cheating, by throwing the fights.... some big thing in Japan. I know that was a horrible comparrison, but Sumo's still big in Japan... I hope that MMA never turns out to be some big lie.

Watch the replay and look at Belforts head snap back after the impact of the kick it was not fake at all.

James Davis
02-07-2011, 07:26 AM
Not to the face you wouldnt.

I was watching the footage from Game of Death and I think that Anderson Silva is a student of the late Bruce Lee. All martial artists should watch it.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/73f5809454.gif

TEEP 4 da win!!

Aab
02-07-2011, 08:03 AM
this kick is money to the groin. especially when you have shoes on and don't neccesarrilerueliryasrl have to bend your toes back

Jonah Kaimuloa
02-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Watch the replay and look at Belforts head snap back after the impact of the kick it was not fake at all.

Definitely going to have to watch it again, but it's hard for me to beleive it. I guess Belfort ain't the fighter he used to be.

Jonathan Wylie
02-07-2011, 08:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRyjiWbstys

Daniel Elizondo
02-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Definitely going to have to watch it again, but it's hard for me to beleive it. I guess Belfort ain't the fighter he used to be.

I dont think its necessarily that Belfort sucks or anything like that he just got hit right on the button with a crazy ass kick not too many people would still hold it toghether after taking a shot like that right on the chin.

Cole
02-07-2011, 11:49 AM
If you haven't seen the interview with ariel and steven check it out. He is now claiming he invented the front kick! he is the biggest troll ever lol

NelsonLucca
02-07-2011, 11:50 AM
I think all mma fighters should have movie stars in their corner. Maybe Van Damme in GSPs corner and Mayhem Miller could get that guy from "They call me Bruce"

Chris Lewis
02-07-2011, 11:58 AM
I dont think its necessarily that Belfort sucks or anything like that he just got hit right on the button with a crazy ass kick not too many people would still hold it toghether after taking a shot like that right on the chin.

I agree, sometimes you just get caught.

Compella
02-07-2011, 12:00 PM
My celebrity corner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be7Og9Gc_KY

Greg Allum
02-07-2011, 01:35 PM
I just want to know wtf is with the shooting glasses?

Tyler Timmermans
02-07-2011, 01:38 PM
none of you guys should talk shit about seagal he is deadly as fuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQKAydHA4J4

AJ Camacho
02-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Even a young underrage 17 year old Katherine Heigl had a helping hand from Steven Seagal.

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/attackjap/steven_segal_molest_katherine_heigel_001.jpg

Many people have been touched by Steven's mentorship.

Jonathan Wylie
02-07-2011, 01:52 PM
I just want to know wtf is with the shooting glasses?

You never know when you might have to bust a cap! safety first.

Harry Evans
02-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Segal said in a post fight interview that Anderson was already doing the kick. He said that when he saw the power Anderson had in his kicks (Segal said he was consistently knocking people in the gym out with body shots!), he thought he could tweak it to make it work better for Silva. That's what he means by "taught that to Anderson". For example, I noticed that this time he leaned forward more, making the angle seem impossible for a high kick and more like a body shot. Also, Silva looked down to fake him out. Additionally, at that level, it's all about context. I'm sure he didn't just work on the kick, but rather on when to throw it, what to throw before to set it up, etc.

I think people get mad at Segal and Anderson working together because they take it for more than it is. But Anderson has been picking stuff up from Aikido just like he has from Shotokan (Lyoto), boxing (long list), etc. I don't see why he would give all that credit to Segal and constantly have him around if he wasn't helping a lot, and I think Anderson is pretty capable of evaluating what works, seeing as how he is the best fighter the world has ever known. (Before people attack this, I'm talking pure skill. When you look at older "best fighters", the fighting world had not evolved enough for them to pick up all the different skills you now need. Fair or not, in a street fight or cage match, Anderson would murder any of the old, one-dimensional greats unless they had years to catch up in wrestling, muay-thai, BJJ, or whatever they were missing back then).