PDA

View Full Version : Got put to sleep for the first time & apprehsion coming back

Tim Bruhn
02-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Was rolling in a gi for the first time in a couple of months the other day, got a lapel choke kinda put on me while I was in half guard, felt it, but didnt think he had it, managed to pass to like a side scarf hold, I looked at the clock,I remember gurgling and next thing I knew my instructor was waking me up.

Now I am far from a tough guy and have no issue tapping at all, but in this instance I didn't feel I was in danger and i think combined with the fact of not being in a gi for a while and me moving past half guard I think locking it in I think added up to it happening.

Just wondering other guys experiences on then rolling again, if they felt apprehensive, did they then start tapping earlier than before etc?.

All I know is, is it was a really weird feeling and one I obviously would rather didn't happen again. I got home and felt really emotional and just kinda basically in shock i think.

Will be back on the horse this afternoon, so hopefully all is well.

Would appreciate your experiences guys. Thanks

Clinton lawrence
02-08-2011, 12:14 AM
mate i am in same boat at my school was rolling with this guy and bang choked me out with a eizkel choke while in my half guard its about learning i tapped one guy on the first day i was in class and since then i have been getting my arse handed every since its funny and humbling and a whole pile of messed up considering the guy was at least 40 kgs lighter then me and really choked me out with his sleeve but hey thats why we do what we do

Cookie Monster
02-08-2011, 12:33 AM
me too i got triangled during drilling LMAO
because we were starting in the guard and tossing em and mounting triangle
and the dude asked the instructor a million questions and next thing you now i was waking up to jason eisner smiling LOL

Luke Jarvis
02-08-2011, 01:19 AM
The first time I got choked out I literally loved it no shit sometimes I don't tap just so it'll happen when I know I can't escape that is.

Compella
02-08-2011, 01:29 AM
Your coach gave you the gift of life! By releasing the squeeze and allowing air to go back into your lungs you were given the gift of life, congratz! Now go and share your gift with the world, what a wonderful planet we live on ;)

Aab
02-08-2011, 01:47 AM
Your coach gave you the gift of life! By releasing the squeeze and allowing air to go back into your lungs you were given the gift of life, congratz! Now go and share your gift with the world, what a wonderful planet we live on ;)

hahahahahaha. I prefer to eat only when hungry which is 80 percent of the time. However when i struggle for breathe i tap easily. thats why grappling in a gi is so hard because its like wrestling under covers. its hot and dirty up under that shit yo. yo.

Jason Hyatt
02-08-2011, 02:03 PM
It sounds like a pretty good learning experience to me. My very first match in my very first tournament I was choked unconscious with an RNC. Apparently, the ref didn't even stop the match. Coach Herzog and Sarkis ran out on the mat and stopped it. I just remember my ears ringing and the lights coming back on. It took until after my second match before I could even really recall what led up to the choke. The end result? I spent weeks giving people my back just to work on my RNC defense. I still do from time to time. I think the hardest choke to get on me is the RNC now. Nobody but Coach and Yockel has finished one on me in a long time now.

There's a really nice lesson in being choked out I think. It humbles you in a different way. If you don't tap to an arm lock and you get injured you'll regret it and learn, but it might not change how you think about life in general. Anybody who's been choked out has had a unique experience few people get to have -- you fought to the death and lost. If you and the guy who choked you had been engaged in actual life-and-death combat he would have killed you. Me too. That's a hard goddamn lesson of life. That we're not dead is only the result of safe training practices and agreed-upon rules but the reality is: we fought to the death and lost. Combat sports is for real. We got to learn about life and death firsthand and we're none the worse for the wear. That's a gift. Usually you have die in a car accident, drown, or have a heart attack or something to learn that one.

I love jiu jitsu. :)

bobby rivers
02-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Your in the zone today brah. I like your perspective on shit.

I often get put to sleep during demos. Like in arm triangles or north/south chokes. You know when he's showin everyone just where to sink in to get the choke. Im payin attention too so its cool... then they tell me I was gurglein and I feel euphoric for some reason, oh shit. It just happened again didn't it. Wonder what the longterm ramifications are gonna be?

Tim Bruhn
02-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Love the replies guys thanks, I know exactly what you are saying Jason, I have learnt more humility in the last 2 years doing Judo and BJJ than I had in my previous 31 years on this planet. If only I had started back as a kid I truly feel I would be that much more of a 'developed' human being. Better late than never.

Just to clear up as well it wasn't my instructor I was rolling with that put me out, he was just the one that got the guy to let the choke go and wake me up. I would hope no ones instructor would put them to sleep rolling as they would have a bit more awareness. Unless of course the guy deserved it or was getting taught a lesson.

Like Jason said I truly believe it is one of the greatest learning experiences I have had and a true gift. I have a long road ahead in both life and bjj but can't wait to grow even more if the last 2 years are any indication.

Fuck yeah that sounds soppy but fuck it. Don't stop dreaming once you wake up.

Budo_Jake
02-08-2011, 06:03 PM
I think everyone should have the experience of being choked out.
The first time it happened to me I was one of those dudes that was convulsing on the mat - lol.
It was during a guard pass drill and I was paired up with a big brazillian black belt.
I was a blue belt and I couldn't believe it as I was passing his guard.
Hell yeah - I passed - I thought, but wait what is this tension around my neck? But I passed? ZZZZ

In the end it's nothing but a little nap.
No need to feel aprensive about training, just respect the choke and know your limits.

derrick ikwueme
02-08-2011, 06:27 PM
funny thing about GI Chokes is you don't always need total control to sink them in, if the Ateries are Clogged there Clogged, protecting your neck & blocking grips are especially important with the GI, on top, pass & change angle of choke, on bottom, protect neck block grips, regain guard, punish extended arms

Jonathan Wylie
02-08-2011, 06:51 PM
One of the funniest things ive ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTHzf1YtTPM

Greg Allum
02-08-2011, 07:49 PM
It happened to me about a week or so ago. Was rolling with my instructor and got put into a choke from the back and was trying to figure out and way out of it. Next thing I know everyone is looking at me and was just kinda confused for a minute. He asked me if I went out and I answered I wasn't sure, which meant I did. Everyone got a good laugh, including me. It happends to most everyone.

Scott Philips
02-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Gi choke are really sneaky. You don't feel like your in danger until it's too late.

Harry Evans
02-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Whether or not you think being choked out is acceptable as a regular event in your training, the reason it happened is that you are inexperienced with gi fighting. Just like the first time someone gets put in RG, they don't know they are in trouble until it is too late. If you fight with the gi, you will learn to gauge when you are in danger. The fact is, gi chokes usually are really tight, often painful, and extremely effective - they force you to defend them, often in only one direction. In the same way, don't fight scared of chokes. It will actually make people go for them more, and it will ruin your other game. If anything, get in them and ask better fighters what you should be doing. I started no gi on my own, and got ezekiel choked like 20 times a day for a while. cross chokes, loop chokes, etc. - they all crushed me, and everyone knew it. Now it is damn hard to choke me out (relatively), and I see the openings that used to plague me when I am in the opposite position.

Here are the other reasons you should still train gi sometimes. If you are training in part to actually defend yourself in real life, you may have a collar on you when you fight, so learn to defend it (and attack with it). Also, I noticed that when I train nogi, my gi game gets better, and vice versa.

In the meantime, here's a few tips. 1) Most chokes can be stopped by simply opening up one of the guy's elbows. They can't get the angle or pressure. 2) If your opponent has a single hand with a deep grip in your lapel that you find threatening, always turn into it. In other words, one direction you turn tightens the choke, the other opens it. Always go the latter, or you are done. 3) With a gi, it's extremely important to keep your chin down and your arms t-rexed almost always.

Good luck, hope that helps!

Art "ART OF WAR" Belarde
02-09-2011, 08:57 AM
Base Ball choke...... Yea that sucks. I went against this blue belt at Alliance in Frankfurt and he was ripping my arms off left and right. I am gun shy now about arm bars. So I kind of feel you on that.