PDA

View Full Version : Broken Pinkie Toe. Need Help!!

VJ Bella
03-10-2011, 09:22 AM
hey all,

was down at 10th planet bear last night and took a great class from Kevin Green on various marcelo guillotoines options (love his stuff). About 20 secs into sparring my pinkie toe felt like it was on fire and when i looked down the toe was pointing in a completely different direction from the rest of my toes...lol. I popped it back into place but it burned like a motha and i had to sit out. Today it hurts to walk and the entire area is purple and bruised. Not sure if i broke it or dislocated it?

Anyone else ever had this injury?? If so how long were you out?? I assume just tape really well and maybe go back out next week?? In the 5 years ive been doing bjj ive never broken a bone..just not sure what to expect.

Louis Ho
03-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Not sure, but have you considered getting an x-ray and have Kevin take a look at it? Or maybe a qualified physician. :)

Joe Durham
03-10-2011, 09:47 AM
That has happened to me several times...same pinky toe each time. Each time it was pointing in the wrong direction;) I was out for around two weeks before I could get back into the gym. And I couldn't throw kicks with that leg for a good two months. I have also done this to my big toe and that was much worse. Hurts worse and takes way longer to heal.

Mike Dewitt Jr
03-10-2011, 09:49 AM
As far as I know there isn't a whole lot a Dr. can do for a broken pinkie toe, other than tell you its broken and give you pain pills....:( that sucks.

Adam Farnsler
03-10-2011, 09:57 AM
i broke my big toe and was out for about a week and only did light stuff after that ice it! even if you go to the doctor they will just tell you ice and tape... there is not much else you can do about it... gl

Art "ART OF WAR" Belarde
03-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Nope you can't do much about it. Best thing to do is put some gauze inbetween the toes and tape together. It will take about 6-8 weeks to heal if it was broke. A hard sole shoe is also recomended for the first couple weeks. Hope you feel better.

VJ Bella
03-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Thanks guys...i didnt go to the doc because i had heard all they can do is give me pain pills. The gauze idea is a good one. Ill just have to tape the shit out of it. ive heard once it happens once its a chronic injury and susceptible to re-injury...so i guess i better buy a shit load of tape and hope for the best. Looks like the next 2 weeks will be push ups, pull ups and situps.

Art "ART OF WAR" Belarde
03-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Thanks guys...i didnt go to the doc because i had heard all they can do is give me pain pills. The gauze idea is a good one. Ill just have to tape the shit out of it. ive heard once it happens once its a chronic injury and susceptible to re-injury...so i guess i better buy a shit load of tape and hope for the best. Looks like the next 2 weeks will be push ups, pull ups and situps.

No problem the gauze helps prevent maceration inbetween the toes and puts it in a position that is more natural.

John Alighieri
03-10-2011, 01:27 PM
I broke my big toe and there's not much you can do about it... Apart from waiting. Going to the doctor is a waste of time and money. I took 2 weeks off and went back to training with wrestling shoes for few weeks. It's been nearly a year now and it hurts time to time :(

Corky
03-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Im not 100 percent sure but i think you sprained it. Usually when you break it, you cant move it at all and idk if it bruises up. But ya go to your doctor and get an xray

Danny Stolfi
03-10-2011, 02:33 PM
I've injured my pinkie toe before, i taped it up and limped for a little bit. My problem wasn't that severe, but I think the pinkie toe is one of the more useless appendages.

Worse comes worse you could cut it off, one less toe might help you pull out of a heel hook.

Jeff Doherty
03-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Tape it to the adjacent toe. That's what I did when I broke mine in the summer.

Bill Keeling
03-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Just chew it off and go on... Who needs a pinky toe? LoL! Fast healing my friend!

Kevin Green
03-10-2011, 08:40 PM
If you tape your below the knee and around your calf super tight....your foot will totally go numb...Problem solved :)

VJ Bella
03-10-2011, 08:47 PM
is that how you spar with a broken hand :)

VJ Bella
03-10-2011, 08:50 PM
I actually just cut my toe off and am now wearing it around my neck on a thick piece of string!! people know not to fuck with me that way...

Kevin Green
03-11-2011, 05:01 AM
is that how you spar with a broken hand :)

Yes sir....you saw it on wed. I know u were thinking, "damn coach taped his had so tight his fingers r blue" now u know the secret..tight = numb, numb = no feeling, no feeling = train w a broken hand :)
DISCLAIMER: I don't recommend this method, please don't try this at home, no animals were injured during the creation of this post :)

Eddie Bravo
03-11-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm no doctor but put some tussin on it :)

Mike Noronowicz
03-11-2011, 02:15 PM
I broken quite a few toes , had sprains , cracked toe nail in half etc.. i hate these injuries the most cause my job requires me to be on my feet 10 hours .i had to tape my toes well thats for sure , alot of newbies would come in the school and step on my toes and cause this uhhh ,
as a precaution i tape my toes that i injured in the past as a protectant.
for treatment i was soaking my feet ..sometimes in salted warm water ,using either epsom salt or bath salt ,seem to help with the bruising , then taking coral calcium w/ magnesium supplement

Art "ART OF WAR" Belarde
03-11-2011, 02:43 PM
DAMN I just broke my pinky toe tonight at practice. What are th f*&king chances of that.......

Mike Dewitt Jr
03-11-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm no doctor but put some tussin on it :)

Tussin lol, good bit.

Ed Simonson
03-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Vince, Sorry I missed you the other night been sick as hell....the tape and gauze seems like the best advice, but, if you soak that gauze in tussin.....genious :)

VJ Bella
03-11-2011, 06:32 PM
What in the hell is tussin??

Joe Friday
03-11-2011, 07:50 PM

guaifenesin syrup...
a generic form of robitussin. it's a cure all for any and everything!

Eddie Bravo
03-11-2011, 07:56 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd-EBG3a7jU