Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Jiu Jitsu has saved the lives of so many people who have found it. Make sure you keep it a positive thing for her. I know what you're saying and there is nothing wrong with pushing her to reach her fullest potential but in the end, as a kid, it has to be fun.

I'm not saying that you are pushing her too hard or in the wrong ways or anything, I am just saying that as she progresses and moves up, you want to keep grips on reality. Don't let yourself turn into some obsessive hockey-parent that wants to fight all the refs, etc.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    OH no not me....i'm not ever fighting the refs, cus I know all those refs at the tournaments are like purple belt and up and I don't want to get choked out.....lol I understand where you are coming from. I do find ways in my coaching to make it fun for her. ANd remember, this is my own daughter, so sometimes when we spar, I would steal a hug and kisses here and there...

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Cora: I was a white belt for 3.5 years and trained twice a day 5 times a week the whole time. I think you’re doing great

To all the instructors on this thread: cool stuff guys, interesting read. I clicked here to comment but learned a lot about instructors perspectives on ranking

Array

School
    Brian: I would love to go and watch you and the adults compete, but we just found out that my sister who lives in Plano is throwing Cora a surprise birthday party when we get there. Cora turns 10 on the 17th, a day after the tournament. If I leave here early enough, we can swing by there and watch a few matches and have Cora weigh in also. Then we go to Plano.....if this plan works out, we will look for you. Bruce

Array

School
    10th Planet Pasadena
    And btw, you are an awesome father and role model, thank you for being yourself and a 10th PJJ advocate. I've always valued quality over quantity, so it's great to know we got people like you raising women like her

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post
    Jiu Jitsu has saved the lives of so many people who have found it. Make sure you keep it a positive thing for her. I know what you're saying and there is nothing wrong with pushing her to reach her fullest potential but in the end, as a kid, it has to be fun.

I'm not saying that you are pushing her too hard or in the wrong ways or anything, I am just saying that as she progresses and moves up, you want to keep grips on reality. Don't let yourself turn into some obsessive hockey-parent that wants to fight all the refs, etc.
    Those hockey- parents are the fucking worst.
    And CORA keep up the good work! I know I can speak for everybody when I say we are excited to see your jiu jitsu game grow as you continue to practice.

Array

School
    Not sure what a hockey parent is, but I do have an idea because we have a dad that goes off on his kid in the gym all the time. The kid started training at the same time as Cora, for a whole year and half, they were evenly skilled. When they roll, it would be like a roster fight with no one really winning. Everytime he spar with Cora, his dad always shout out instructions and frustrations at the kid. Meanwhile I'm sitting there quiet and thinking "OMG!!!!". Needless to say the kid didn't enjoy being screamed at all the time. And it make everyone there even the coach feel uncomfortable even though the kid wasn't loosing to her. However, when this past summer started, I started Cora on that intensive training at home everyday for 2-3 hours a day. Little by little, her skill improve and she starts tapping him out, which make it worst for the boy. By mid summer, he was no match for Cora as she got stronger and stronger with her legs and squeezing power. When the dad realize that his son is no match for Cora, he put him on their own intensive training. He told me that he made the boy ran 2 miles and then do this monkey bar training in the hot texas heat. The poor boy come to the gym with blisters all over his palms. I feel so bad for him. I don't do that to Cora, all we do is work on techniques and she use me as a practice dummy so she can learn to squeeze. I don't believe in extra conditioning or strength training as she get plenty of that at the gym already and I'm afraid that might stun her growth like it did to me. So anyways by the time the kid get to the gym, he's so tired and blistered up that most time he get tapped out in seconds, which infuriate the dad even more. ANd the crazy cycle starts again. He is basically why I put music over all the gym noise so you good people don't have to hear all that nonsense. Now what makes it worst is that we found the Rubber Guard system and that even drive him even more crazy because all summer he's been trying to teach his kid the Gogoplata, but the kid is not understanding it or is being taugh the wrong way. I told him, he need to teach the basic technique first, if his son can't do a proper armbar or triangle, why teach him the gogoplata?? He didn't listen. So when Cora pull the Gogoplata on the boy.... you can guess what the gym sound like.... sometimes I feel so bad for the boy that I ask Cora to take it easy on the boy and let him win once or twice to make him look good for his dad. But Cora is also stubborn, she been battling with him for over a year and she just will not ever let him beat her...ever.... she wants him to learn how to win just like she did. What can I say to that???

here is a vid of them sparring.... from day 1 of her Rubber Guard to 6 wks later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFeYjQiSqkk

As you can see even though she have him in an armbar all stretched out, he just won't tap because he is scared of his dad. But I always tell Cora not to pull on the armbar because she already hurt him more than once already because he refuse to tap. So now I dont even want her to go against him. ANd if they do go against each other, she have to get the coach to come over to make him tap because she doesn't want to hurt him again.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by Cora Sek View Post
    Not sure what a hockey parent is
    They are assholes that lay too much pressure on their kids and take all the fun out of it.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    lol lol this dude remind me so much of how this boy's dad is.... but he would be screaming...." what the hell you doing fool??" "use our head FOOL!!!" " this boy ain't got no brain!!!!" "GOGOPLATA....GOGOPLATA....EWWWW EWWWW GOGO FOOL!!!" "CUM ON MANG....!!!!!!"

and when his son do something right... he would say .... "where you been all month??"

Array

School
    tomorrow i'm going to sit next to the dad and when i'm recording Cora's match, you will hear this boy's dad screaming in the background.... after it get annoying, it become hellarious.....LOL

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234