Need Advice ASAP

Hello,

I am having trouble staying constant with my BJJ training due to my Asperger’s syndrome

I am finding it hard to learn in the bigger classes and I’m not really good with working with others who I don’t know

Any advice on how I can better myself so I can eventually get my blue belt is much appreciated

Thanks

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    Have you had a conversation with your instructor about your concerns? As an instructor and father of a child on the spectrum I think it is important that they are aware to help them come up with a solution. There are likely some senior students that could work with you in a smaller group that you could get comfortable with, or you could look into some private lessons until you feel comfortable working with others. Those are the suggestions I would make if you came to my academy with these concerns.

Do you have any friends or family members interested in training that you could work with in class?
    Head Instructor - 10th Planet Springfield MA
    LIKE 10th Planet Springfield MA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/10pSpringfieldMA
    Follow us on Instagram: @10pSpringfieldMA
    www.10thplanetspringfieldma.com

I have talked to my instructors and the first thing they recommended was private lessons. Eventually the private lessons became very costly as the gym is owned by a current ufc fighter. I have also tried to take normal classes with instructors I knew but when rolling it seemed like they were going easier on me due to the disability. I just got into BJJ after I moved from central ma to nj and the nearest 10p to me is Bethlehem PA which is an hour away. If their gym was like yours I would take the drive every weekend to go. I extremely love BJJ and it’s unfortunate that stuff like this happens

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    You should totally email or phone Zach and JM from Bethelem and explain your situation. They might be able to suggest a high level purple belt to give you privates for a much more reasonable cost and I also think they would be able to support you in group classes should you choose to attend. A lot of us have an hour commute to the gym, I'm sure you would make the trek once or twice a week if you're committed.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    I'll second that maybe you can find a purple belt or brown belt that might be a little less expensive for private lessons. I also wouldn't get too hung up on if an instructor is taking it easier on you or not. Most good instructors are going to roll at or slightly above the level of new students. I know it may be difficult but communication will be key. Find people you are comfortable with and take in everything you can.
    Head Instructor - 10th Planet Springfield MA
    LIKE 10th Planet Springfield MA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/10pSpringfieldMA
    Follow us on Instagram: @10pSpringfieldMA
    www.10thplanetspringfieldma.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Bethlehem
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Porter View Post
    I have talked to my instructors and the first thing they recommended was private lessons. Eventually the private lessons became very costly as the gym is owned by a current ufc fighter. I have also tried to take normal classes with instructors I knew but when rolling it seemed like they were going easier on me due to the disability. I just got into BJJ after I moved from central ma to nj and the nearest 10p to me is Bethlehem PA which is an hour away. If their gym was like yours I would take the drive every weekend to go. I extremely love BJJ and it’s unfortunate that stuff like this happens
    Yooo what up bro, go check out my people at Martial Way MMA - jason ramos and the crew can help you out, they will be 10th Planet Newton soon, and we are only an hour away, i would try and make a trip down every once and ahwile and we have some purples that can teach the system pretty well that can hook you up.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Porter View Post
    Hello,

I am having trouble staying constant with my BJJ training due to my Asperger’s syndrome

I am finding it hard to learn in the bigger classes and I’m not really good with working with others who I don’t know

Any advice on how I can better myself so I can eventually get my blue belt is much appreciated

Thanks
    I have a friend with Asperger’s training and learning at a rapid clip, it’s mainly a matter of identifying your ideal learning style and nurturing that. My friend hates large classes, but gets a ton out of reading jiu jitsu books and drilling the techniques piece by piece during open mat time. This works for him, definitely look at how you like to learn and ride that into the sunset.