Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile

Marcelo vs Leo adcc.

This feels like an official changing of the guard or torch passing match. Legendary

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    awesome match

Array

School
    10th Planet Nottingham
    great match

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    He stayed low, never stood in Leo's guard and clinched his way thru top half for the pass. Marcelo is a master smasher, epic match
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Did anyone else tear up a little at the end watching this match? It totally DID feel like a "passing of the torch" match Bobby.

just wow.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enrique "Kiko" View Post
    Did anyone else tear up a little at the end watching this match? It totally DID feel like a "passing of the torch" match Bobby.
    I didn't exactly tear up, but I know what you mean. It had an emotional vibe.

That was pretty much a masterpiece by Marcelo. Sometimes it blows my mind how Marcelo can dominate someone who can basically fold me in half. Good post Bobby.

Just curious, why is it like a passing of the torch? Leo is definitely a little bit older than Marcelo, but they both competed a lot at the same time, and -77k is MARCELO's division. 2011 was the first year Leo went at -77k instead of -66k. So if anything, it was just Marcelo doing what he was expected to do...maintain his dominance and become the only person to get 4 Golds at ADCC in one weight class.

You know what felt like a changing of the guard? Rafa Mendes submitting Cobrinha at the Pans. Cobrinha hasn't been finished at his own weight in probably a decade, and after ten matches with Rafa, all of them close, Rafa finally comes and takes Cobrinha's arm? That's a passing of the torch.

Marcelo and Leo have never fought in the same division before, gi or no-gi, and this was their first match. Marcelo is also way more accomplished, medals-wise, than Leo. Leo has one World title at black belt and Marcelo has 5. Leo won ADCC twice and Marcelo won 4 times, with a bronze and silver in the Absolute as well. It was an awesome match, but usually "the torch passes" when someone of higher standing passes it on to the next guy. Marcelo's OG status, with 10 years in the game strong competing at the highest levels.

If there was a time the torch passed with Marcelo, it was in 2007 at that ADCC. He got Gold at 77k and Silver in the Absolute, winning every match by submission until he lost his 8th and final match to Drysdale. That's the same year he debuted the guillotine, north south choke, spiral armbar, 1 leg X, and crucifix. That's when he truly transcended everyone else.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Do you think Leo will compete in adcc again?

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago North
    Epic and masterfully basic!

Anyone in IL have the DVD set? I woul like to see these matches in better quality.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast