Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    N/A

scissor leg takedown (garry tonon EBI 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Eu-K...uJaMMJRO-c_vKA

I've been working this technique in practice the past few weeks and a lot of people have been telling me not to do it because of the danger. I haven't had any training partners complain about it feeling awkward on their knees but obviously I don't want to injure anyone. I've been having a lot of success hitting it when someone has one of my legs going for a single leg and it's a fun move to practice.

Just want to get some of the experts on the forums opinion of the scissor leg takedown and if it should be something I not spend much time on anymore or are people over reacting.

Thanks guys!

i used to train this technique alot until a training partner got injured.. i drilled it for ages, did it during mma sparring and rolling, worked different setups so i could control the technique. then during one session i decided to work it as my main takedown... i hit it on a couple of guys, but then one partner really based and resisted the takedown.. i injured the guys knee as he carried all my weight through his knees.. it wasnt permanently damaged, but was the first time i`d properly injured a training partner... after this i never ever plan to use or try the technique again. you might use it, but if it goes even slightly wrong its not good.

Array

School
    Gracie Humaita/Ronin
    I'm not an expert but people are not over reacting, especially if you are not telling them you're gonna do it. If someone unexpectedly did a scissor takedown on me i'd be more than pissed. It's definintely a legit technique, and has been used by a lot of good grapplers, but this is why they are saying not to do it. (warning big bone crunch ahead, you have been warned)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glwYurrthcc

Those were some of the best guys in the world, injuries don't discriminate.

Array

School
    Gracie Humaita/Ronin
    Also you have to weigh up its value, its banned in a bunch of rulesets, if you want to compete it might be more worthwhile in terms of time vs benefit to work something else.

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    A brown belt at our school that's good on his feet got his ankle broken badly enough that it needed surgery and a rod screwed in from someone trying a scissor leg takedown on him (the guy doing it was also a very good practitioner, a brown belt instructor at an mma school). It's dangerous because even if you're really good at it, you don't know how your opponent is going to react and it's often times his reaction that will cause the injury. It's a move that should probably just be only drilled in practice and then only used live during competitions (the few that even allow it).
    https://www.facebook.com/ben.eddy.56 insta #jesushadamoustache

agreed with the above statement, i never exploded into it but the one time someone resisted it because they had never seen it, it went wrong.. it kept the guy out for a few weeks and really made me doubt continuing training training as it was something i`d done a load of times, but my actions had hurt a training partner.

Array

School
    Counter Violence LLC
    I use this sweep all the time. Something important to note is Gary's body position when he hits it (perpendicular) and while I can't see for sure because of the head in the shot I'm pretty sure he's basing on his hand for good balance. That's what I was shown and it's what I do every time I go for this. It makes sure that the pressure goes the direction the knee naturally bends and all the pressure is parallel to the floor instead of downward. The downward motion comes after the knee bends. If you watch closely his opponent's near leg is lifted off the floor before the sweep is finished. Gary is carrying a substantial amount of his own weight on his left arm. (:32/:33 mark)

In that second video (shudder) the guy drops straight down, barely catching himself at all (on his elbow) and his opponent is carrying all of his weight on the near leg. On top of that he's damn near right in front of him when he goes for it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Sam rolled his ankle pretty bad getting taken down on this one night. Saw a guy get shredded at a tournament with it one time.

Definitely a dangerous technique that is banned from amateur competitions and regular training for a reason.

Let the pros use it (and every technique). But guys that need to go to work tomorrow should probably steer clear of this one.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    It look like NAGA just requires a hand down: "No scissors Takedowns are permitted, unless a hand is first placed on
    the mat."

(Page 4, line item 1, http://www.nagafighter.com/pdf/2014_naga_rules.pdf.)

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast