Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals

What Sean Bollinger Accidentally Taught Me

I had a genuinely amazing week training with my new friend Sean Bollinger. The man is an unbelievable grappler and a very talented instructor, something I'm sure no one within the 10th Planet organization is surprised to hear.

What you may be surprised to find out, though, is that he has some of the strongest fundamentals I've come across in our system, despite his reputation as the flexible Double Bagger guy.

I've had a great week on a lot of levels. It has been a huge reminder of how far I've come in the last 10 years, not just as a martial artist, but as a human being. 10 years ago, I was doing "all the right things:" No smoking, no drinking, no sleeping around, no cursing, etc... But I was a very closed minded individual. There was no reason to open my mind; I already knew everything. That guy wouldn't have given Sean Bollinger an opportunity to teach him, much less to be a friend.

I'm very, very proud to say that I learned a lot from Sean Bollinger about forgiveness, second chances, and what it means to try your best. And he taught me a lot about choking other people and breaking their limbs, too, which has been an excellent bonus.

The martial arts have really given to me more than I ever expected or thought possible. I believed I was just gonna do some pushups and learn how to choke a fool unconscious. I've certainly learned that. But along the way, quite unexpectedly, it has transformed me into someone who believes in people and in transformation.

I've learned to believe that excellence is not only achievable for us all, but it is an obligation. I've learned that discipline is not a word, but a choice; discipline is a muscle that becomes strong with exercise, or atrophies and dies away with neglect. I've learned that failure is the most important exercise of all, and that winning consistently actually makes me weak and boring.

I've learned that everyone deserves a second chance. Everyone. Even the most egregious of errors leaves room for forgiveness if we are strong enough to submit to it.

And most importantly, I've learned that true strength lies in the ability to submit, and that power is made perfect in weakness.

You're my boy, Sean Bollinger.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    DeSouza Dojo
    I spent all week with Sean Bollinger when he came for the UK seminar tour. He is an incredible man on many levels. I look forward to seeing him again when comes in April.
    Last edited by Krystian Litke; 02-01-2015 at 03:09 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet O'Fallon, IL
    Beautiful BMAC...thanks for opening up to us and sharing. You're a hell of guy and I'm proud to call you my friend. I can't wait to get Sean out here to O'Fallon!!! He had a great seminar in Omaha that my guys went to and they are stoked for him to visit here. For those interested, keep an eye out for a long weekend getaway with Sean and the O'Fallon crew...moon-lit stolls, candle light dinners, and patchouli incense.

..I've learned that true strength lies in the ability to submit, and that power is made perfect in weakness.

It sounds profound and probably is but it is lost on me. Would you care to elaborate?

Array

School
    10th Planet & Nova Uniao
    I'm really happy you guys had such a positive experience. I've got to say that having Sean be my coach, mentor, and friend for the last year has changed my game and life for the better. He really has been the best teacher or coach I've ever had and has become family. I can't stress enough how much my game and life has changed because of him. Anyone who gets an opportunity to train with him definitely don't miss it. He's the man.
    Last edited by Andrew Maxwell; 01-26-2015 at 10:30 AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Beezy is so good it scares me!
    www.10thplanetchicago.com
    Chicago Original
    Wrestling Saves Lives
    Caveman Coffee Supporter
    www.cavemancoffeeco.com
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday - Jeff Mirabella

Array

School
    10th Planet Altus
    Well said Bmac! I just stole "discipline is a muscle" never even thought to refer it in that way to my students. Beautiful analogy brother and i cant wait to train with Sean

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    Well said BMac, I had the opportunity to enjoy his seminar here in omaha, although injury and personal issues have kept me off the mats for a while. The energy that he and denny brought was nothing short of amazing. When he started teaching fundamental side control stuff I was like WTF?!?! I didn't pay money to learn white belt shot from the double bagger king!! But as the seminar went on, I ended up putting my foot in my mouth, the seminar was amazing and his philosophy in life and jiu-jitsu left me in awe. I walked away with a whole new approach to my fundamentals. Derek had pulled me aside earlier in the month and told me that I was sitting in positions and not attacking or moving fast enough. I was "waiting for holes" Sean proved this and helped me improve on it. so awesome.

Array

School
    Victory MMA; 10th Planet Ronin
    I know exactly what you mean about his fundamentals. I'd been training for 7 years when I started training with Sean, and the vast majority of what I've learned from Sean has been improving my fundamentals in ways that I didn't even understand were a weakness. My mind has been blown more than once with these improvements to the "basics." Sean is my boy, and I'm grateful to know him, let alone to have him as a teacher.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    Sean is awesome can't wait to have him at 10th Planet Birmingham in April

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast