Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Alvarez View Post
    I was a pretty serious chess player for a spell in my life. Still play it from time to time, but nothing serious anymore. In addition, I have been practicing and preforming magic since I was 19 as a professional. The psychology from the magic learned, as well as the subtleties, and the timing of the misdirection; plays a huge roll in the way I teach and play the game of JiuJitsu. All of the studying and reading I did before each chess match I played. Learning how professional chess players approached the game of chess, and learning to see patterns 20-30 moves a head, has helped me develop a keen eye for repeating patterns from multiple positions in jiujitsu. Factor in a football back ground as a player and coach, and you know have the foundation and determination to be a top level jiujitsu competitor and instructor. Its of my opinion, that who you were before you started learning jiujitsu will make a gigantic impact on your jiujitsu game, and what you chose to do in the sport. You just need to recognize how to put the pieces together.
    I can't wait until I get to a level where I can see patterns like you. I know I just gotta keep at it !

My instructor always hated the analogy of BJJ with chess. He would say that in chess the contestants make moves in turns. In BJJ, multiple moves can be made at the same time by both combatants and that they are very different fields.

Array

School
    Non 10thPlanet
    Id love to be better at chess, but If chess were ranked, im not even white belt

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234