Thread: On my way

On my way

I am getting out of the military in 2013, and have saved up enough to move to CA and train at 10th planet for a couple of years with only a part time job. Thats been the plan for a while now. I have the option to train at any of the locations, but am having trouble choosing what area. I wouldn't think any one is better than another, but now that its all coming together, I'm lost trying to decide. Im coming from Florida, and all Ive ever wanted to do is 10th planet Jiu Jitsu. It's probably something I'm going to do for the rest of my life, so I'm just looking for the best instruction/experience.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    I would love to train with Denny in SanFran but the cost of living is crazy. I been thinking I might go try sleeping in the park for a week and training there.

Array

School
    Phuket Top Team
    That's awesome man! Time for a new journey...

Just a heads up -- I've moved out to California from Florida on 2 separate occasions -- and it's definitely more expensive than Florida.

I live in Miami Beach now, and as pricey as it is, it's still way more affordable than SF or downtown LA (LA suburbs are cheaper but unbearably drab, polluted and you NEED a car).

If you go train with Denny in San Francisco, you'll be in really good hands. He's a truly gifted instructor and a cool human being and the dudes that train there are all interesting, talented people. I've never trained at another 10pjj location so I can only talk about what I know.

As far as San Francisco goes...If you plan to have a car there, it's really expensive to park it, not to mention all the crazy emissions regulations (all of California on that one) that drain more money. You don't really need one anyway because public transportation is amazing there. It's also pretty chilly. But it's also probably the coolest city on earth. So, trade off.

Kind of a rambling reply but I hope it helps. ;-)

Great information! Thanks. It seems like there is a cluster of 10pjj schools in LA, so I assumed that would be my best bet. I never thought about San Fran, but now that I have two recommendations it seems like a real possibility. Even if I have to sleep on a prk bench.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    I was in the Marines for 6 years man I lived in SF for a year and an average 1 bedroom apartment is around 2,000 a month in a decent neighborhood. Denny is the fucking man and so is his school and SF is a great place to live. The cost of living is the killer, but Oakland and Alameda are cheaper and commuting into the city is still cheaper than living there. It's all what your budget is me and another forum member are working on a carpool thing to Dennys school if you end up picking the East Bay than living in SF directly. You did your time dude, follow your dream and go where you feel like life takes you. Use your post 9/11 and go to school a couple days a week too to pay for training and get a degree too if you got question man, feel free to shoot me a private message anytime

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    Denny also give a bad ass military discount

Thats awesome to know. I'm def using the post 9/11 for the MHA. If I was looking for places on the eastside, what area would I search for on apartment finder?

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    Alameda is more expensive but in terms of saftey, and convenience it's the most practical with out being to far from SF, Oakland has tons of public transportation and BART will take you to Mission which is a couple of blocks from Denny's. East Oakland is cheap as hell but it is a fucking urban place and West Oakland but equally as bad if not worse but is cheaper. but with your Post 9/11 you should be pulling in about 2,200 for school so you can probably afford a nice studio or 1 bedroom in north Oaklan/ Rockridge/ Temescal or even Berkeley for like 1,100-1,500, bout the same in Alameda. Depends on your personality really. Lots of options dude the bay area is all pretty tight together. I recommend Oakland or the city if you don't drive and Alameda if you do. Hope it helps.