Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by NotReady View Post
    Interesting to me to hear Eddie talk about how the most injuries came from wrestling class.

Is that because we don't spend a lot of time on breakfalls in jiu jitsu, like they do at Judo? Maybe not, because we never worked on breakfalls in middle school or high school wrestling and I don't remember that many injuries. The most guidance we got was "tuck your chin" and/or "don't post your arm out" but even that often went out the window to avoid being scored on. At the same time, injuries come a lot easier at 30 as opposed to 15.
    True. But its also just physics. There is a lot more momentum and inertia in wrestling/standup grappling. A body and nervous system must definitely be prepared for these forces. That takes time and conditioning that just doesn't happen for most jj students. I'm really good at getting slammed(weird talent) but had my knee destroyed by a back trip. He accelerated explosively and though I might have been out of position and tech, neither of us had time to find out.

Array

School
    Marc Walder BJJ Academy, Essex, UK
    I'm so impressed by Rickson as a human being. He seems like a very easy to talk to, open and friendly guy. His willingness to learn and open mindedness really has impressed me here. What a great podcast.

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    True. But its also just physics. There is a lot more momentum and inertia in wrestling/standup grappling. A body and nervous system must definitely be prepared for these forces. That takes time and conditioning that just doesn't happen for most jj students. I'm really good at getting slammed(weird talent) but had my knee destroyed by a back trip. He accelerated explosively and though I might have been out of position and tech, neither of us had time to find out.
    Makes sense. Good point.

I think people need to learn way more technique and do way more drilling before sparring on the feet. That, and people need to flow more. At the very least, do situational sparring based on the moves people know. When people start plugging gaps with physical attributes, and they are going hard, that is where people get hurt. On the feat or on the mat.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by NotReady View Post
    Makes sense. Good point.

I think people need to learn way more technique and do way more drilling before sparring on the feet. That, and people need to flow more. At the very least, do situational sparring based on the moves people know. When people start plugging gaps with physical attributes, and they are going hard, that is where people get hurt. On the feat or on the mat.
    Yup. Positional advantage before a takedown needs to be understood. It literally took me a month to learn a descent stance that is safe and offensive. Learning to win inside position with my head, hooks, and ties was huge and slowed the entire game down for me. Win and control positions without even attempting takedowns. Then drilling the shit out of the takedowns from the dominant position before attempting them. The takedowns I see from most nonwrestlers is essentially like trying to submit someone while in their guard.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234