Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    bayou fitness and combat sports
    Quote Originally Posted by hespectnogi View Post
    I have a couple training partners getting ready for fights so we've been hot and heavy on the MMA sparring over the last 5 weeks. I love the effect it's had on my view of jiu jitsu, it reinforces the "clinch and squeeze" 10p philosophy as well as getting the positions that could get you lit up out of your game. I think it filters the "sport" element out of your grappling like a dog on a shock collar
    I love this.

I'm new to the forum, but if you'll allow my input here it is:
    I've had the opportunity to train in a couple different schools as well as having army combatives. There's all types of different ranking systems that I've come across. I've been a part of a sport jiu jitsu team where it seemed like promotions were only handed out based on social status. If you weren't buddy buddy with the coach you got to be a 4 stripe white belt for a couple years. I moved for work and started training in a Rickson Gracie school that did belt testing, which at the time I thought was silly. Turns out having a basis for promotion kind of ensures that everyone at each belt had a very strong foundational approach to their jiu jitsu and their rank wasn't based on being able to do 3 things really well in competition or being somebody's friend. I have a hard time with the idea of video promoting kids that don't really roll to blue belt, but if the fundamentals are there then I'd have to say a blue belt is a blue belt. I really like Saulo Ribeiro's approach to the belt system in bjj in that there are specific goals of each belt, a white belt needs to learn to survive against higher belts so his objective is purely defensive, a blue belt needs to learn to escape and start mounting his own offense. This isn't to say that a white belt won't ever tap somebody out in the gym, just that you start out as a defenseless baby trudging through the wolf infested world of jiu jitsu until you learn to protect yourself. Then you're ready for the next step..

Quote Originally Posted by Enrique "Kiko" View Post
    Until this becomes a thing....

LMAO jokes

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy, NYC
    I think this all comes down to what kind of BJJ school you want to create -and the video makes this clear.

If you are trying to create a neighborhood BJJ school...the kind that hosts birthday parties on the weekends, maybe has volleyball night once a month, has a "bring a friend" promotion every so often, then the training method suggested by this video is excellent. And it will benefit 90% of the people who are likely to attend your school. And, as the video points out, it helps make BJJ a thing that can be done by anyone.

However, if you are trying to create a school where you attract a lot of young, strong, medal hungry students, then this method of training will actually hold back some of your students. These natural born killers, will never get to really push themselves. And, your school isn't going to crush anyone on the local tournament scene.

I think it all comes down to what type of academy you want to create -a killer academy with a strong rep, or a neighborhood, family martial arts center. Both are totally fine and both have their place. The only problem is when an academy doesn't know what it really is. Like if they think they are killers, but their purple belts can't hold their own against blue belts at a killer academy. Or, if a place acts like anyone can train there, but in reality, there is no place for the 45 year old accountant to fit in because the young guys train too hard.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    So all I could make it was 14:30 in so my response is based on that. In many of their videos, there are a number things that can be learned and I even agree with a few of their general philosophies. They do great with justifying there stuff (weather it be mailing off a blue belt to someone who paid for a course but who has never sparred or trained under a real instructor or selling .25 a piece of mesh or whatever that was for $20 bucks or whatever because the Gracie Diet@ needs this special watermelon juice you can only make if you have it). They'll have you sold on whatever.

But... through this whole thing, all I heard was there "Gracie filter" marketing beneath it all and just though if this article (which is WAY SHORTER. Listen to Renzo for 2 min if you don't wont to read anything, just as a counter point to this)

Make your own call about each, but listen to the other side http://www.bjjee.com/articles/renzo-...g-of-students/

Array

School
    10th Planet Bethlehem
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    So all I could make it was 14:30 in so my response is based on that. In many of their videos, there are a number things that can be learned and I even agree with a few of their general philosophies. They do great with justifying there stuff (weather it be mailing off a blue belt to someone who paid for a course but who has never sparred or trained under a real instructor or selling .25 a piece of mesh or whatever that was for $20 bucks or whatever because the Gracie Diet@ needs this special watermelon juice you can only make if you have it). They'll have you sold on whatever.

But... through this whole thing, all I heard was there "Gracie filter" marketing beneath it all and just though if this article (which is WAY SHORTER. Listen to Renzo for 2 min if you don't wont to read anything, just as a counter point to this)

Make your own call about each, but listen to the other side http://www.bjjee.com/articles/renzo-...g-of-students/
    They are heavy on pushing product but for the record the Gracie juice bag is next level and watermelon juice is delicious Rener got me hooked on some juicing real talk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12