Thread: EBI 9 heaction

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ

EBI 9 heaction

Another fine event. Gotta hand it to the Yemaso guy on pulling off the twister. It was damn impressive coming from a non-10P guy, especially with Eddie right there watching. I loved Renato on commentary during Vinny's match, that was priceless. The commentating on this one was some of the best in a while. Compella was on point. I'm a big big fan of Scott Ross, he is to EBI as Joe Rogan is to the UFC. His analysis is spot-on and it was cool hearing his experiences about rolling with some of the competitors. That's a rare gift to have a commentator who trains regularly and can give an inside scoop on some of the fighters like that, especially for the few guys that we may not of heard of or even know where they train out of. There was that one match in the first round where the dude was pulling side mount lol. I wonder how the palm strikes would've played into that?

Great event. It was a diverse balance of styles. I'm eager to see how the palm strikes will play into the superfights in the future.
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 11-07-2016 at 05:09 AM.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    What was up with so many guys taking spiderweb in overtime using the wrong arm? I felt like Vinny gave away that match to Tonon by taking spider web and then using the wrong arm, allowing Gary to corkscrew out... twice. If he'd just taken Gary's back and rode him, he would have won in my opinion.

Great event! Can't wait for palm strikes.

Array

School
    10th Planet O'Fallon, IL
    I would have loved to have heard the crowd a bit in the background...felt like that garage Metamoris where there wasn't anyone watching. Not full volume or anything, but just to hear how the audience reacts makes you feel like you're there in the action. Great show as always though!

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Meek View Post
    I would have loved to have heard the crowd a bit in the background...felt like that garage Metamoris where there wasn't anyone watching. Not full volume or anything, but just to hear how the audience reacts makes you feel like you're there in the action. Great show as always though!
    On that note, would it be difficult to put a mic or two near the first couple rows to get some of that sound? I'm big on hearing the coaches on the sidelines coach, and for the most part you could but I'd be in favor of an extra mic near the coaches corner. I agree the fan reactions were not as audible as you'd think, which I imagine the elevated fighting platform probably plays a role

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    What was up with so many guys taking spiderweb in overtime using the wrong arm? I felt like Vinny gave away that match to Tonon by taking spider web and then using the wrong arm, allowing Gary to corkscrew out... twice.

Great event! Can't wait for palm strikes.
    Vinny had an earlier match where the wrong side hug worked beautifully, enough so that I even took a mental note to try out how he did it during the next time we do EBI overtime drills. If Garry's classic match with Kron taught us anything tho, he's not easy to armbar.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    the wrong side spider web is the old-school Gracie style armbar, (from what I understand). More often than not the mounted armbar starts out with you trapping their right arm over the top of your right arm with your chest... later in the sequence you switch your hook. If you just use your right arm as a hook it's one less step.

It will definitely work. But many of the masters say it's better to hook the leg.

A BUNCH of guys did it that way, not just Vinny.

I wonder if it's a "big guy" thing, where the bigger guys are less able to corkscrew fast enough to pop it out, so they get away with using the other arm?
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 11-07-2016 at 09:08 AM.

Array

School

It will definitely work. But many of the masters say it's better to hook the leg.
    Rickson said it's better to hook the leg, thus I would concur that it's better to hook the leg

Array

School
    I wonder if it's a "big guy" thing, where the bigger guys are less able to corkscrew fast enough to pop it out, so they get away with using the other arm?
    For sure when I have someone in spider web, I'll default to the leg hook. A lot of times however I can feel that their intention is not to corkscrew, or they'll be trying to but their technique is really primitive. A lot of bigger guys will try to pull their elbow to the mat as their main means of escaping. I'll ditch the leg hook and commit more resources to breaking their death grip if they're super strong and not that refined at corkscrewing. This is a feeling thing though and a case-by-case situash. There's a significant portion of the population that you could probably get away with not hooking the leg, though I'd imagine a prerequisite of being an EBI competitor is having at least a functional corkscrew, thus making the default strategy of NOT hooking the leg in EBI an ill-defined strategy, imho.