Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by brianspinaltap View Post
    Yep - Tim is probably the most widely experienced person you could get advice from on BJJ and Tai Chi.

I started tai chi before BJJ and continue to practice the slow form in the morning because it just makes me feel good. It's hard to say what crosses over exactly with BJJ, but it's really a collection of fringe benefits:

1: It's excellent physical therapy from the constant ache I get the day after training (especially shoulders).

2: I rarely get injured either, and I think that's related.

3: I find it easier to relax and apply new moves in class thanks to tai chi. Moving slow you come to be more aware of how your body moves, and your Proprioception improves dramatically.

4: It's very good conditioning for the legs, since you are constantly moving in a low stance with knees bent. (Doing the form is really like doing an extended squat over 15 minutes) People have always remarked on how strong my legs are in BJJ when to me it doesn't feel like I'm using much effort. You'll build legs like Marcelo's!

5: Co-ordinating breathing and movement. In general in Tai Chi you exhale on outwards movements and inhale on inwards ones, so you train your body to do this automatically - so when you exert effort on a clinch you find yourself breathing in and when you exert effort on a bridging hip escape you breathe out naturally.

Let's the honest, the martial applications of tai chi forms are a little whacky so don't get hung up on them. It's like a whacky style of Kung fu if you look at it that way. Think of it more as a type of conditioning.

I do the yang style. Now if you really want to do down the 'internal' rabbit hole I'd suggest finding a good Chen style teacher, since that aspect seems to have preserved better in that style. If you really want to dive deep into the 'internal' bit, without the tai chi form and all that entails, then seek out the 6H Facebook group for good quality info and exercises about 'internal' movement without any of the Qi magic stuff. 6H means six harmony.

Good luck - happy to answer questions. It's always amazed me why so few people have picked up on how good tai chi can be for BJJ.
    Awesome response. Thank you very much!

I have definitely found myself most interested in the Chen philosophies. The internal stuff is definitely what interests me the most.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanymir View Post
    My biggest takeaway was a sense of the ground in a noncerebral sense, meaning trying to create structure and support in my body without thinking and tensing too much. That and the idea of movement as it relates to proper transfer of weight, meaning I'd shift my weight off of the foot that needed to move in a fashion that would still provide support and structure for the rest of my body.

I think it also really challenged me to truly relax while still being strong in my structure, something I'd say I never truly mastered but sometimes got a sense of. The yo yo effect of trying without trying too much was a huge stretch for my western mind. I liked tai chi a lot.
    This is exactly the kind of thing I'm trying to look into.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Array

School
    The world of Jiu jitsu
    Tai Chi is a minefield in terms of finding a good instructor, especially in the nether regions of Canada where I currently live. My instructor was Tek Siaw, he lives in Vancouver now I believe, and mainly teaches Yang style. Find yourself some good Tai Chi and a good instructor and you'll be rocking the "carry the tiger back to the mountain" in no time!

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    I'd like to see a Tai Chi master and a Yoga master get into a fight...

Array

School
    gracie barra houston
    Tai Chi? YOU MEAN THE MOST BRUTAL MARTIAL ART EVER?

Array

School
    10th Planet Jacksonville
    I never tried Tai Chi, but did mess around with some Ku Chi, particularly the wang style. Lots of hip movement, really good for clearing your mind. Also did a sister form called Pu Na Nee, which I believe originated in Djibouti.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Brown View Post
    I never tried Tai Chi, but did mess around with some Ku Chi, particularly the wang style. Lots of hip movement, really good for clearing your mind. Also did a sister form called Pu Na Nee, which I believe originated in Djibouti.
    Bro I think this just flew over everyone's head.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jacksonville
    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonLucca View Post
    Bro I think this just flew over everyone's head.
    ;-) In time, they will awaken...
    10th Planet Jacksonville
    4849 Dawin Rd. #2
    Jacksonville, Florida
    http://www.10pjax.com
    https://www.facebook.com/10PJAX/

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan brown View Post
    i never tried tai chi, but did mess around with some ku chi, particularly the wang style. Lots of hip movement, really good for clearing your mind. Also did a sister form called pu na nee, which i believe originated in djibouti.
    strong work
    - Amir Allam

Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness
    Havnt done tai chi specifically but have looked into it a little. Its kind of a martial arts qigong. This video is pretty good about explaining qigong basics. They are basics though, so information from a higher level system or higher level of understanding might contradict some things they say in the video. Kinda like jiu jitsu in a way, if that makes sense.

Disregard the funny movements. Some qigong systems exercises look funny.

Always thought the push hands stuff would be a fun training thing to do and maybe have some grappling application going on. Quick end of class push hands competition.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast