Array

School
    Ronin

Post Concussion Syndrome - anyone?

Has anyone in the family suffered with Post Concussion Syndrome?

I took a clean shot to the head on Saturday and after having some nasty symptoms for a few days I took a trip to A&E for an MRI and have been told (due to them finding no tears, bleeds, etc) that I'm suffering with Post Concussion Syndrome.

The most prevalent symptom is a constant headache, but in addition to that I've had some trouble choosing my words and have constantly felt as though I'm drunk when I walk (clumsiness and light-headness). I've been told not to train any kind of combat sport for 21 days and even then to take it very lightly for a few months.

The Doctor said the worst part for people suffering with PCS is the fear your brain will not return to normal and suggested I reach out to people who have suffered from a bad concussion to reassure myself with their experiences of recovery (which is the point of this post).

He is certainly right, it's pretty scary going through a period where your brain isn't firing right. Even typing this out I'm doubting whether certain words are correct or whether everything in this message is formatted correctly and coherent (please forgive me if it is not!).

So yes, if you've had any experience with this kind of thing please do let me know.

Thanks in advance, my friends.

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    My worst concussions were from playing Rugby by far. Boxing and Kick boxing have definitely taken a toll on my Central Nervous System as well. It is nothing compared to the damage my Mom had from having a brain tumor removed. Brain damage effects everyone a little differently depending where and how severe the trauma to the brain is. The brain seems to adapt to the damage but does not repair it. I find neck strengthening exercises seem to take the edge of blows to the head.

Mikael Chay

Sorry to hear that, Apperz. Scary stuff.

Although I have no personal experience with PCS, I recall reading a thread on Reddit a few months back on the topic of concussions and here is what people who'd suffered a concussion were advising (some of them admittedly didn't follow those advices and their PCS got worse):

No training, no rolling (no matter how light), no drilling, no physical exertion and nothing mentally taxing either until you feel back to 100%.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comment..._a_concussion/

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Array

School
    10th Planet Altoona

Array

School
    Lookin'
    I gotta concussion a couple months ago at the skatepark and I still don't remember what happened. I had periodic headaches, especially when trying to sleep, for about 2 weeks. Aleve did the trick though. However, I lost my taste and smell since, which sucks 'cause I'm kinda into cooking. I ran into my friend last week and had a concussion awhile back from a much bigger fall. He lost his smell and taste for a frickin' year. He said what really expedited the healing process though was when he started taking NerveFix. Said it was definitely noticeable, praising it even. Recently he jacked up his ACL and after a few weeks of slow healing, he started poppin' NerveFix again and stated it's seriously helping. So yeah, I'm gonna pick some up and you might want to, too.

Peace and good luck man. I can sincerely empathize.

Array

School
    Fusion MMA Elgin IL, Pedro Sauer affiliate
    Yeah I had something like that, never saw a doctor. Ate wayyyyy too many punches one night and for the next 3 months I'd say got headaches and they'd come back from just getting rattled slightly. I didn't take time off ((I'm an idiot)) but during that time I got injured on a pretty nasty toe hold and got a tear on my ATFL and some other ligament I cant remember in my ankle, it forced me to take a month off and no more headaches since getting back in.

You'll be alright man, rest up, study some technique and just do other stuff you enjoy a bit.