Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Array

School
    lawsons combat sports
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-theman-james View Post
    I'm kind of taken back by this thread and the comments on it. Very immature and bullyish. The video is of a self defense demo at a traditional karate tournament. While I know that this is a bjj oriented forum, understand that I hold belts in three forms of traditional karate. And for those of you who have never practiced a traditional art to put it down, and more importantly, to make fun of someone who is overweight, is beyond me and many others on this forum. If that same guy came into a tpjj school and asked to join, would you all tell him he is too fat to train. You should appreciate all those who train and take their training seriously. I know that you all take your bjj seriously, so just try to understand that this guy takes his seriously. I tell people in my town, that while I do not think some martial arts are as effective as others, any martial art is better than none. Traditional martial arts teach some people with no skills whatsoever to be able to react to certain situations better than someone who has no training. Give the guy a break, he is trying to better himself in one way, which is better than doing nothing at all.
    OK, first off I hold a yondan in isshinryu karate, so traditional is cool with me. What is not cool is that his master is frank dux, frank dux is a fraud, so this isn't traditional, its fake. He has three schools, claims to teach mma, and is basically full of shit. im not nocking TMA, I'm nocking those who make tons of money by misleaading a bunch of kids.

Array

School
    ninthlevelmma, goldsboro, nc
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Keeling View Post
    I agree with Frank, about the weight issue. What I am amazed by is this guy still makes $$$ with lineage to a fraud (self admitted on court tv). Frank Dux... And I have taken traditional martial arts and my honest opinion is they provide false security for most. don't take me wrong, practicing striking and kicking and keeping in general good shape is good for anyone. But to think that a "kata" is still going to work in an actual fight is silly. Or that after training for two years in a martial art and getting a Black Belt that you are able to "handle" yourself in a self defense situation. Now I had a rough childhood and was in wayyy too many fights. I have never seen a TMA work outside the Dojo, except once on youtube... Once again this is only my opinion, but it is one based off of experience not theory. I do not discredit any one's loyalty and dedication to any art. One of my students Mike has 20 years in TMA and has several Black Belts. But he will admit as to their actual effectiveness in a fight. Not trying to offend, just trying to keep it real.
    I agree with the fact that there are a lot of fraudulent instructors out there who shouldnt be teaching. and I cant tell you the number of times that I have seen guys come in to school and say theyre a bb, and only to see that theyre not as they start to train or even demostrate. As for effectiveness, I have used tk in many of the fights that I have been in, were they carried out as they were in class in a kata or in practice, maybe not as smooth, but they were still effective in saving my ass. real fights happen very fast and a lot of the time are over before you know it. having a martial art that trains you to think faster when you are confronted is better than no martial art at all. And bill, I took american Kenpo for over seven years, it is a self defense based art, so maybe that was the difference. alot of arts are more for sport and will not be as effective in a reall fight.

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    Well I can't speak about Kempo specifically. I do know that my original BJJ instructor also taught Kenpo and they seemed to have a decent system, reaction drills, full contact sparring. But in general the experience is from fighting or sparring. That's how you practice to fight.

Array

School
    Rōnin
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-theman-james View Post
    I'm kind of taken back by this thread and the comments on it. Very immature and bullyish. The video is of a self defense demo at a traditional karate tournament. While I know that this is a bjj oriented forum, understand that I hold belts in three forms of traditional karate. And for those of you who have never practiced a traditional art to put it down, and more importantly, to make fun of someone who is overweight, is beyond me and many others on this forum. If that same guy came into a tpjj school and asked to join, would you all tell him he is too fat to train. You should appreciate all those who train and take their training seriously. I know that you all take your bjj seriously, so just try to understand that this guy takes his seriously. I tell people in my town, that while I do not think some martial arts are as effective as others, any martial art is better than none. Traditional martial arts teach some people with no skills whatsoever to be able to react to certain situations better than someone who has no training. Give the guy a break, he is trying to better himself in one way, which is better than doing nothing at all.
    but he is not trying to better him self because he is a black belt and 100.lbs over weight if he was a white belt i would think the same way but this poor guy went to a Mcdojo and thought he could become some bad ass by garbing peoples wrist and not exercising martial arts are suppose to teach you discipline or at least give you some exercise, so in conclusion i am not saying anything bad about this guy just he would have benefited more from a walking class on being able to real defend him self then aikido.

Array

School
    Riverside Submission
    Fraud trainers...all of them...MUST be outted! People are paying this fraud money. This person may very well have BOUGHT rank. This guy smells of McDojo.

There are too many people out here selling false security to families. If you are not sparring you are not training anyone for any type of self-defense situation...period. That is often why Eastern MAs as practiced in the U.S. are dissed. It really is not the art, but the instructors. These trainers do not let there students spar, some don't even let them compete so as not to be exposed as to how ineffective their training is. Now some of them are entering their TKD and Karate kids in Jr. MA events and the kids are getting destroyed. Now, if you just want to get in shape or teach values, that's fine, but don't tell these kids and adults that they will be able to defend themselves with "foom!""fooms!" claiming that you are snapping someone's arms or breaking someone's nose.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderFunk View Post
    Fraud trainers...all of them...MUST be outted! People are paying this fraud money. This person may very well have BOUGHT rank. This guy smells of McDojo.

There are too many people out here selling false security to families. If you are not sparring you are not training anyone for any type of self-defense situation...period. That is often why Eastern MAs as practiced in the U.S. are dissed. It really is not the art, but the instructors. These trainers do not let there students spar, some don't even let them compete so as not to be exposed as to how ineffective their training is. Now some of them are entering their TKD and Karate kids in Jr. MA events and the kids are getting destroyed. Now, if you just want to get in shape or teach values, that's fine, but don't tell these kids and adults that they will be able to defend themselves with "foom!""fooms!" claiming that you are snapping someone's arms or breaking someone's nose.
    I agree 100%. As I mentioned once, my issue is double with this guy. First he is a Dux "follower" who EVERYONE knows is a liar and complete fraud. Secondly, even if his TMA stuff was 100% on the up and up, he is training people for MMA. From what the other poster said, it seems he isnt competent at all to be teaching any sort of grappling, and I would guess his striking is just as bad. I also would hazard a guess that he has never trained anywhere where people actually fought MMA preparing day in and day out, or god forbid, ever actually fought MMA himself.

That IMO, makes the guy a damned criminal. He is going to get some kid WRECKED in a MMA fight, because he doesnt know what he is doing, probably has no realationship with promoters, and has no idea as to what to look for with matching his guys up. Sad, I think.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Fuck it im driving down from the Chi to train with this guy. I need some of these techniques. LMAO

Array

School
    NA
    I understand that Frank Dux is a fraud, i know this, but say what you want about him....Bloodsport was a badass movie...and I can attribute his fraudulant behavior to a movie I enjoyed. haha j/k............but seriously

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123