Thread: Hug the knee

Array

School
    10th planet Omaha

Hug the knee

Hey fam I was watching Ben Eddy on you tube go over the Hindu control without the arm being zombied, even though the arm isn't zombied he still hugs the knee I believe he does this in both Hindu control and rubber guard this seems like a good idea but I don't know the reasons dose anyone else do this and why thanks!!

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    This is done to help stabilize the position, relieve stress from your own knee and help make angles. At least that's why I'll do it sometimes. Once things stabilize during the moment I needed it then I'll let it go to make something happen. Hindu control you may never need to let go and make something happen (I've messed with hindu a good bit but am far from an expert, I speak with allot of confidence about the general rubber guard positions reasoning though and I suspect reasons are conceptually similar across the board here with just some differences in application and such. Hope some of this made sense, its late

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    Quote Originally Posted by Preszler View Post
    Hey fam I was watching Ben Eddy on you tube go over the Hindu control without the arm being zombied, even though the arm isn't zombied he still hugs the knee I believe he does this in both Hindu control and rubber guard this seems like a good idea but I don't know the reasons dose anyone else do this and why thanks!!
    Glad to hear you're watching. Debes covered it, hugging the knee helps stabilize the position. To be more specific, when you don't have the arm zombie'd your knee pinching down on the persons shoulder is your main control for that side of their body. The other side is controlled by your mission control grip. If your pinch is weak they are going to be able to posture easier, turn out and various other escapes. I prefer to work moves that don't require a zombie'd arm, so this knee pinch is very important to focus on and develop. Another key detail here is my knee is above the shoulder. Your knee needs to be placed above the shoulder so that the leg is flat across the shoulders. This allows you to use the full length of your leg for your RG moves and gives you a better pinch. A common mistake is to have the knee lower and closer to the guys armpit. This then angles their leg up, making it shorter and limiting what they can do in RG as well as limiting the strength of their pinch / posture control.
    https://www.facebook.com/ben.eddy.56 insta #jesushadamoustache

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Eddy View Post
    Another key detail here is my knee is above the shoulder. Your knee needs to be placed above the shoulder so that the leg is flat across the shoulders. This allows you to use the full length of your leg for your RG moves and gives you a better pinch. A common mistake is to have the knee lower and closer to the guys armpit. This then angles their leg up, making it shorter and limiting what they can do in RG as well as limiting the strength of their pinch / posture control.
    Thank you for this insight, this is error I have been making why I have had trouble with RG and put unnecessary stress on my knees.

Array

School
    10th planet Omaha
    Awesome thanks Ben and Brian!!! This will tightn up my RG your information will be put to good use,once again thanks!

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    Quote Originally Posted by NameLikeNoOther View Post
    Thank you for this insight, this is error I have been making why I have had trouble with RG and put unnecessary stress on my knees.
    Yea especially if you try moves like the dead orchard with your leg angled up from the knee being closer to the armpit. That will put a ton of compression on your leg as it tries to bend it down. Leg should always be flat across the shoulders.
    https://www.facebook.com/ben.eddy.56 insta #jesushadamoustache

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    Quote Originally Posted by NameLikeNoOther View Post
    The unnecessary stress on the knees might be from pulling on the ankle, rather than hugging the knee. Brandon McCaghren tweaked the way I play rubber guard and it helped dramatically, so much so, that I've been able to hold people without holding the ankle. Ben Eddy is a beast. One concept that helps me to grow as a martial artist is the concept of space. If something, like a sub or position, doesn't seem to be working it's probably because there is space somewhere. Take away the space. On the same note, if I want to escape a situation, find or create space. Maybe Ben is removing space, therefore making everything tighter and more effective.