Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Array

School
    Mission: Submissions
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawna View Post
    When I first started doing jj this is what Eddie said to me: "For the next year, expect to come in here and get your ass kicked everyday." And I did, for more than a year actually, I got my ass handed to me every single time I got on the mats. Not only because I came to 10th Planet completely green and knowing nothing of jj, but more often then not, I am the smallest person in class and the only girl. I still get my ass handed to me daily, I just get to hand out a few ass kickings myself now, which totally makes it worth it!!
    I don't know what it feels like to be a man coming in new to this sport and the dynamic that comes along with that. But I can relate to feeling overwhelmed, frustrated and outmatched. Yes, there is nothing more humbling than getting your ass kicked but there is also nothing more elating than the day you realize mid-roll that you know what you're doing and you get your first tap and then keep getting them! The beautiful thing about any MA (IMO) is that the challenge is really you against you, not your opponent. Everyone's time line is their own and their journey is there own. Fight through the frustration of being a newbie, train when you can, you'll be happy that you did. There's nothing like this sport and the community that comes along with it. Good luck on your journey!
    Thanks, Dawna!!! I have been doing JJ for almost a year and have gotten so discouraged at times because it feels like I am not getting anywhere. I don't get frustrated when I lose because I roll expecting that to happen. I get frustrated when it seems like I can't successfully pull off any move.

You really hit the nail on the head with that post. I could not have worded anywhere near that good. Thanks!

Array

School
    10th Planet HotBox miami
    Totally agree with everyone, yesterday i was rolling with my main partner. He and I usually roll daily the other guys come to my garage about twice a week. It's just like i read in one of your post becuase he's constantly smashing threw me my defense is really coming into its own. Ive started to pick up his little tricks and learned how to block'em. no taps yet but im working towards it!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123