Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    BTT Canada - BJJ Quebec

Getting the over hook from Closed Guard

What do you guys think of getting the overhook before going to rubber guard? I have trouble getting rubber guard after I got the over hook because of flexibility and ect. Any Ideas? Should I stop doing that? Just go RG then try to get the overhook? Seems more obvious for the oppenents. P.S. I have some competition footage coming up as an example soon.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    I'm slightly confused. If you're in closed guard and break his posture down, do you not already have over hooks?

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Just get out on your hip more. Staying on your hip will not only make it easier to play rubber guard, but it will give you a better angle to attack the trapped arm anyway.

Array

School
    10th Planet Boulder
    It doesnt work for me, but I have a student that confused new york and pyramid in a tournament. He had mission control grip with overhook and he finished 2 armbars from there.

To me hugging the knee is easier than overhooking as it allows me to get on my side more and transition easier

Obviously spend more time on flexibility. More time than you spend training!

Array

School
    10th Planet O'Fallon, IL
    Quote Originally Posted by sean applegate View Post
    Just get out on your hip more. Staying on your hip will not only make it easier to play rubber guard, but it will give you a better angle to attack the trapped arm anyway.
    Exactly...for those with flexibility issues, we have them get their hips out more and go to London/Williams Guard (w/gable grip on the far side of the neck) to work the RG game. Got a few guys that really enjoy that guard, but you have to be active with it and can't hang out there too long.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonLucca View Post
    I'm slightly confused. If you're in closed guard and break his posture down, do you not already have over hooks?
    Yeah, I'm confused as well. Not sure what overhook he's referring to.

If it's a flexibility thing, like others mentioned, getting out onto your hip is helpful.

Another thing I find useful is using the foot on the hip to help you scoot up a little higher. You don't want the guy's head square to yours. And you don't want his head close to yours. My sweet spot is having the guy's forehead at my diaphragm. If the top of his head can touch my chin, I won't have the flexibility to work my RG. So either use the floor to shrimp, or used the foot on the hip to push yourself a bit further up. Just mind the pass attempts. That's why meathook is my preference.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Getting the overhook first is ideal, especially if you're pulling guard. You'll be in New York before you even touch the mat

Array

School
    All good advice, Andrew give us more detail. Where are you trying to get to?

Array

School
    10th Planet Boulder
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Carbone View Post
    Getting the overhook first is ideal, especially if you're pulling guard. You'll be in New York before you even touch the mat
    Overhook standing all day!!!!
    Nathan showed us an amazing takedown into leglocks from standing with overhook! but yeah, get it and pull guard BOOM. game over.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Ash View Post
    Overhook standing all day!!!!
    Nathan showed us an amazing takedown into leglocks from standing with overhook! but yeah, get it and pull guard BOOM. game over.
    Flying kung fu move has always been a go to for me, from a standing position. I agree with Drew, get an over hook while standing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast