Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Interesting. They are badass but Ive never been able to make a standing wrist lock work on a grappler. But if Keenan says they are legit, maybe I should take some more aikido.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    I had gotten away from looking for wrist locks for a bit there. It was interesting to go back through and see what I was saying about it then. I've since re devoted myself to wrist locks and is the only thing I'm going for now. Well that and im sharpening the legs too. My goal is to get my black belt because of the wrist lock. I've also noticed because of the threat of wrist locks it completely changes how people roll against me. They're more fearful of hand placement. Pretty interesting to see.

Here's my number 1 wrist lock I'm hitting now.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Elements BJJ Brighton
    Standing wrist locks are ok but IMO they fall into two types (a) require fast dynamic movement in order to trap the elbow (jacare) or (b) don't typically finish as they are a torque of the wrist without the elbow control (the aikido looking ones).

For me high percentage wrist locks are any where there are two established points of control of the arm (wrist and elbow), you have some form of control of posture and you are able to utilise bodyweight/hip/shoulder movement.

Nice vid here illustrating all these concepts from side control >>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DViH5Iu_1A

Calasans has an amazing wristlock game. Watch how he uses his core to apply the finish (yeah he's wearing a gi, but these work nogi... I know I've tried them!!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1pwCgjm0v4

Array

School
    Elements BJJ Brighton
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    I had gotten away from looking for wrist locks for a bit there. It was interesting to go back through and see what I was saying about it then. I've since re devoted myself to wrist locks and is the only thing I'm going for now. Well that and im sharpening the legs too. My goal is to get my black belt because of the wrist lock. I've also noticed because of the threat of wrist locks it completely changes how people roll against me. They're more fearful of hand placement. Pretty interesting to see.

Here's my number 1 wrist lock I'm hitting now.
    You can hit these a lot when people try to defend the arm bar. I use a figure four control or kimura grip on the arm a lot and wrist locks just "appear" all the time :-)

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyBaresi View Post
    Standing wrist locks are ok but IMO they fall into two types (a) require fast dynamic movement in order to trap the elbow (jacare) or (b) don't typically finish as they are a torque of the wrist without the elbow control (the aikido looking ones).

For me high percentage wrist locks are any where there are two established points of control of the arm (wrist and elbow), you have some form of control of posture and you are able to utilise bodyweight/hip/shoulder movement.

Nice vid here illustrating all these concepts from side control >>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DViH5Iu_1A

Calasans has an amazing wristlock game. Watch how he uses his core to apply the finish (yeah he's wearing a gi, but these work nogi... I know I've tried them!!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1pwCgjm0v4
    I haven't given much thought on the standing wrist locks. Especially the Aikido style self defense ones. There is one from the Russian Tie I think would work but haven't put the reps in yet.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    The person who taught me Combat Sambo utilized a lot of attacks that targeted the weaknesses in the fingers, thumb, wrist, elbow, shoulder, neck chain. Most attacks were based on an opponent who is aggressively grabbing your clothing or forearm (or they are holding an item they don't want to let go of) this effectively controls the fingers and thumb leaving the wrist vulnerable. It works well against someone committed to their grip, but the simple defense is to just let go (limp hand). Wrist attacks are probably more effective and available in a gi setting. I have never executed a wrist lock that submitted someone in live resistant no gi rolling; however, I have been able to use them to disbalance/reposition to get an angle of attack, to distract them in order to do another attack or defend against theirs. I wouldn't rely on wrist locks for a finish but they do have an effective role. Just my humble white belt experience.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    They definitely an effective distraction. But I think they are a very effective way to finish and I've finished many no gi rolls now and one in competition.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Dublin, Ireland
    I get a weird hail mary one from bottom side control sometimes.

He's got one hand around my neck, other between my legs turning me away, kinda like a wrestlers cradle with only one of my legs.

I pinch the knees, use my top arm to reach behind the arm between my legs, trapping the elbow. other hand works for the goose neck.

Like I say, bit of a hail mary.

Array

School
    Ronin @ Full Power Gym
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Kennedy View Post
    I get a weird hail mary one from bottom side control sometimes.

He's got one hand around my neck, other between my legs turning me away, kinda like a wrestlers cradle with only one of my legs.

I pinch the knees, use my top arm to reach behind the arm between my legs, trapping the elbow. other hand works for the goose neck.

Like I say, bit of a hail mary.
    Taking this to the mats, I've been working a lot of inverted triangles from bottom side lately and ending up in that exact position, if it doesn't get them it'll distract them while I take that triangle hopefully.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    I was practising wrist locks with an aikido black belt the other day. Those standing ones are way more legit than they look. he was saying that he much rather prefers grabbing the hand and twisting it so the hand is pointing out and the arm is doing a chicken wing kind of shape. (sorry about the rough description.) I've been playing with it, and I felt good with it though I need to really get the speed up and get use to using it in different positions.

Of of the coolest ones this guy showed me was double clamping on a guys wrist, when you turtle. with a strong grip, it doesnt matter what they want to do, you have great control.

The other thing ive noticed is once you get a good wrist lock control, positions become a lot more fluid and available. I'm super happy to get into them. Its opened up my game at least as much as leg locks have.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast