Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside

Ways to get rid of your cold ASAP

Ok guys I've been sick since Friday night and I was wondering how do you get rid off your cold?

Usually I:
    -Drink 1.5+ gallon of water a day trying to flush my body
    -chew vitamin C tablets throughout the day (between 6-9g)
    -Rest as much as I can
    -increase my garlic intake
    -drink lemon mixed with ginger and honey.

at night I wrap myself up in a bunch of blankets and have solid sweat out throughout the night (I stack a bunch of t-shirt next to me so I can stay dry).

It's now Sunday and I'm feeling way better already. No more runny nose, sore throat or fever. Just a blocked nose.

I try to stay away from doctors they have the tendency to give antibiotics like candy. If I can't shake it off after a week then I go see a doctor.

I would also like to hear about coaches and how to you guys manage to stay healthy.
    I've scored a job that forces me to work ridiculous hours on top of training/teaching.

The last two weeks were crazy. Right after 2 hours night class I had to go to work finishing usually after 4 am. We are also slowly entering winter in NZ and temperatures are starting to drop at night quite radically. I was expecting to fall apart with the crazy hours and barely no rest/sleep

I'd be keen to hear about cold remedies and also hear from the coaches that have a job on top of running their gym

Array

School
    Gracie University
    Why is it that most home remedies sound more unbearable than the illnesses themselves?

fresh squeezed oj and a clove of garlic will kick the shit out of it brohan

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    It has been proven in study after study that taking Zinc when you first get signs of a flu or cold will cut the time it effects you in HALF. A friend told me this long ago I called BS, and have researched it heavily since then to find that its well tested and true, most throat lozenges are zinc based even. Take Zinc and vitamin C and keep hydrated and you will crush that shit before it has a chance to tap out.

Array

School
    BJJ Akademie Berlin
    This sounds nuts and if a doctor didn't tell me it I would have thought so...

He said to take large dosed of vit C until you feel the need to BM (usually I take 3/4 of the high dose chewable tabs). Do that once or twice and it will kick the cold out of you. I have tried and, and...it works. It is just odd to me.

Also, if the cold is in your nose make sure to suck on hard candies or cough drops often. You don't want the nasty stuff to slide down into your chest. The candies/cough drops will help it move to the stomach.

Lastly since you have a crazy work/class/coaching schedule try sublingual B12. I liked it because it gave me the energy boost w/o the nasty caffeine buzz. You can think clearly, you have no shakes, not "crawling" hair and they aren't bad for your stomach like energy drinks etc. Plus, you can sleep after taking them. I felt that my sleep went very deep, very quickly and had no nutso dreams or side effects.

Array

School
    Derby City MMA/ Ronin
    Zinc. I like zicam.

Array

School
    10th Planet Santa Fe
    Anything with Umka in it. I prefer anything from this brand.

http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Way-Um...kets/8886?at=0

Array

School
    Ethos Jiu-Jitsu & Martial Arts of Tyler, Texas
    Thank you for this thread. I've got a cold right now, and I'd rather be shot than have a stopped up nose.

Array

School
    Darkside (Gainesville, FL)/Gracie Barra Clearwater
    It doesn't work like that. Your immune system takes 7-10 days just to reach peak "activation". Sure, these things aren't going to hurt you, and Zinc and Vitamin C will certainly do good in your body, but it is much better to eat healthy consistently and get these nutrients from the food you eat. When you are sick, rest, eat good food (not just soup, unless that's all you can stomach, and even then try to get something with some vegetables in it). Watch this too! Take care of yourself... it's all you have.

Array

School
    Darkside (Gainesville, FL)/Gracie Barra Clearwater

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast