Array

School
    10th Planet St. Louis

Hip replacement question

Does anyone know/roll with anyone who has had a total hip replacement? I just got the news form my doctor that I've already lost alot of cartilage in my hip(degerative bone diease) and I will need a replacement down the road. He even specifically told me to stop running and avoid any activity that "bang's" my hip joints. I'm going to keep rolling until atleast St. Louis NAGA in October, but just seeing if anybody might have some addtional info.

Thanks

Array

School
    SIMS / 10th Planet Omaha
    I have a similar situation. If you are going to lose your hips anyway, you may as well not lose too much training time, in my opinion.
    I am going to continue to push my damaged hip(s) till I have the hip replacements. I am told that jiu-jitsu will be less painful AFTER my replacements.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    A friend of mine was in his late 40's and had both hips replaced at once. One year later he was better than ever. He was in great shape to start with and was very dedicated with his rehab.

Array

School
    Easton
    My friend who went through 2 years of chemo to beat leukemia now has to get a double hip replacement and another bone marrow transplant. It's always best to do what is best for your body.

A friend of mine needs to get surgery to fix his rotator cuff, he just shrugs it off-literally. I think that's unwise.

Good luck. Get surgery when it's appropriate.