Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont

Review of Jeff Glover’s Darcepedia

Review of Jeff Glover’s Darcepedia

Darcepedia is Jeff Glover comprehensive tutorial of one of his go to submissions; the Darce’ choke. Its intention is to give the viewer a detailed and comprehensive look at the submission and its variations.

Part 1: The Darce’
    Jeff spends nearly 2 full hours solely concentrated on the Darce’ choke. He covers multiple areas’ the submission can be set up from, including half guard, turtle, side control, and other submissions. Jeff talk’s about the tiny details for each set up and finish and highlights the deference’s in finishes from different position.

Jeff defiantly knows the Darce’. Even if you already use the Darce’ you’ll mostly add something to your game with this. The large variety of finish options might be a lot to digest as a beginner.

Part 2: The Guillotine
    Jeff also includes a detailed tutorial on the Guillotine which includes multiple entry’s to the submission, details on the finish, and the footage of the famous match with Robson Moura where he executes a super smooth Guillotine set up and finish (this is one of the “Bonuses”).

The match with Robson was sweet to see again. There were some very unorthodox entries here. It would have been nice if this section were bigger like the previous section.

Part 3: Extra’s
    In addition to the Robson match mentioned above there is also the Mark Ramos match and his rolled up episode.

Considering the rolled up episode is free publicly and there are only two matches here the bonus section is fairly small but it is a “bonus” after all. It still falls short of his previous DVD in this regard.

Summary:
    This DVD seems to focus more on actual material (certain moves) where as his deep half guard DVD seemed to focus more on concepts. Many of the moves apply mostly to No-Gi grappling only and may be too challenging for a beginner. This instructional seems to be aimed at an intermediate to advanced audience that grapples No-Gi. This DVD accomplishes what is set out to do: Provide great instruction on the Darce’. If that is what you’re looking for I highly recommend it.

~Brian Debes

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores/Mobile
    can't wait to get it. ill get it soon thanks for the review

My only gripe with the video is that there was very little conceptual stuff, and most of it was just entries and setups. I felt like I was just seeing a bunch of moves. There are so many ways to "squeeze" the darce and basically nothing was covered there. The Marce, Mad (mounted) Darce, and Guillotine stuff was awesome though. I feel like after watching the set that Jeff prefers the Marce over the Darce, and it shows in most of his matches.

Array

School
    10th Planet San Francisco
    Thanks for the in-depth review, Brian. I really like the way the information was presented in the Deep Half Guard dvd. Very concept-oriented, like you said, and in my opinion refreshingly condensed. I might pass on buying this one if it feels like just an assortment of set-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by David Stager View Post
    Thanks for the in-depth review, Brian. I really like the way the information was presented in the Deep Half Guard dvd. Very concept-oriented, like you said, and in my opinion refreshingly condensed. I might pass on buying this one if it feels like just an assortment of set-ups.
    I mean it depends on how familiar you already are with the darce. If you know not to just squeeze it and you know the best ways to finish it when the grip is on, the set ups shown will help you a lot. He does a fantastic job of showing different grips to attack the turtle, and the marce (finish on your side), darce, and mad darce (finish from the mount) are all covered pretty good. It's definitely the best thing you'll find on the darce out there. I was just hoping there may have been some concepts on hiding the choke through scrambles and transitions or maybe some more advanced "binding" principles, or going over the pros and cons of each finishing angle and position. I think most people would love the dvd. Jeff keeps it entertaining and covers a lot of stuff. Solid 3.5/5. I guess I just had really high expectations.

You'll definitely come out wanting to marce everyone. The guillotine stuff is cool too because it's basically a set on Marcelo's guillotine. So if you aren't on MGinaction this may be the best resource for that style of guillotine choke. The rolled up eipsode is great and the bonus matches each have a win via darce and guillotine at adcc 2011, showing that Jeff is really teaching stuff that works.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nall View Post
    I mean it depends on how familiar you already are with the darce. If you know not to just squeeze it and you know the best ways to finish it when the grip is on, the set ups shown will help you a lot. He does a fantastic job of showing different grips to attack the turtle, and the marce (finish on your side), darce, and mad darce (finish from the mount) are all covered pretty good. It's definitely the best thing you'll find on the darce out there. I was just hoping there may have been some concepts on hiding the choke through scrambles and transitions or maybe some more advanced "binding" principles, or going over the pros and cons of each finishing angle and position. I think most people would love the dvd. Jeff keeps it entertaining and covers a lot of stuff. Solid 3.5/5. I guess I just had really high expectations.

You'll definitely come out wanting to marce everyone. The guillotine stuff is cool too because it's basically a set on Marcelo's guillotine. So if you aren't on MGinaction this may be the best resource for that style of guillotine choke. The rolled up eipsode is great and the bonus matches each have a win via darce and guillotine at adcc 2011, showing that Jeff is really teaching stuff that works.
    +1

And yes, I defiantly wanted to know what he thought about the pros and cons of say, the Darce vs. the Marce and the situations or opponents that would make you want to take each, rather than a "here’s this one and here’s that one" approach. I'd say it's defiantly the best material out there for the Darce' though.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    +1

And yes, I defiantly wanted to know what he thought about the pros and cons of say, the Darce vs. the Marce and the situations or opponents that would make you want to take each, rather than a "here’s this one and here’s that one" approach. I'd say it's defiantly the best material out there for the Darce' though.
    Thats how I feel. The marce is a stronger position to finish, but you risk a lot if it doesn't work. The mounted darce has been giving me the best results, because it shuts down most escapes.

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    I personally like the NArce the best (it wasnt on the DVD though)out of the 3 and like the Marce the least (prefer to finish on top rather than on my side or on bottom. Good DVD though. I became a big darce/narce fan over the past year after not hitting a single one my first 5 years. It's become one of my go to techniques now.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by VJ Bella View Post
    I personally like the NArce the best (it wasnt on the DVD though)out of the 3 and like the Marce the least (prefer to finish on top rather than on my side or on bottom. Good DVD though. I became a big darce/narce fan over the past year after not hitting a single one my first 5 years. It's become one of my go to techniques now.
    Narce? Not sure I know what that is. Is that a no-arm Darce (AKA ninja choke)? And yes, I’ve always felt the Marce was easier to enter but higher risk and lower percentage to finish than finishing normally on top with the Darce.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    Narce? Not sure I know what that is. Is that a no-arm Darce (AKA ninja choke)? And yes, I’ve always felt the Marce was easier to enter but higher risk and lower percentage to finish than finishing normally on top with the Darce.
    I've always thought a "no-arm darce" made no since, because a darce inherently has an arm in it. A no arm darce/ninja choke is basically a guillotine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast