Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita

Fighter Pay Question

I was reading about the whole issue regarding whether we should make fighter pay public (IMO we should, not sure how it's even a question). But someone on the UG made the comment "If fighters want you to know, they'll tell you." Which makes me wonder - with all the UFC fighters that are so active on the UG, twitter, FB, etc, how is it possible someone like Tom Lawler or Sean McCorckle has not posted up all of their pay, in detail, itemizing bonuses and how everything works. It's exactly their MO, and everyone wants to know.

So here's my question: is it possible/legal for their contracts to explicitly ban them from disclosing this information? Could these bonuses be based on public discretion? How else can we explain the lack of information? How else can it be that we have never seen a fighter lose, get dropped by UFC, get pissed, and tell it all?

Just a thought

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox!
    It's not illegal for the UFC to include a privacy clause in their fighter contracts regarding salary, but I'd be surprised if it's expressly in there. Maybe Dana has made it clear that he doesn't want the fighters discussing their salaries but it'd be tough to have an actual clause in the contract because naturally the fighter's family is going to know how much they're earning, unless that's an exception to the clause. It just seems like a foolish element to try to enforce. This is based on my general knowledge of contracts, so it's very possible the UFC has some crazy clauses that I'm completely unfamiliar with.

As far as why a fighter hasn't been dropped and then revealed all, it's most likely because it's a terrible career move. What other organization is going to want to sign a fighter who disrespects his previous organization like that. It's just bad business. I'm just speculating here tho, I don't know for sure either way.

Sam Sales

Who wants to make it known how much/little they earn though. I know i certainly would not, especially if i was one of the lower tier guys. Honestly i think it is bullshit that even their show money and win bonuses are made public knowledge.
    Plus people not 'in the game' or this lifestyle/community or whatever wouldn't understand why someone would risk so much for what appears at first glance so little.
    To me it seems retarded that everybody needs to know how much so and so is earning. I was always brought up by my parents to not ask in the first place as it is rude and nobody else's business. :-)

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita
    I would argue that showing your lack of pay would drive public opinion and push for higher wages. It could also help bridge the gap between "B-level" fighters who make 4-5 figures per fight, and top guys who make 6-8 figures. I mean, so many fighters talk about low pay, I would assume one of them would elaborate a bit. It's hard to say "they don't pay me nearly enough", and then refuse to discuss how much you make. Just IMO, though every point above was interesting and useful