Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Sergio Penha

Inside the Mind of John Danaher-OpenMatRadio Interivew

We hope you guys don't mind us posting our flyers here for our new shows. If it's considered spam we won't post them. We got a HUGE response for our series with Eddie and Denny. What a better way to follow up than with John Danaher. We hope you guys enjoy the show. Send us feedback. Good, bad or ugly, we want to know how to make the site/show better for you.

Thanks again,

Paul
    (on behalf of the OpenMatRadio crew)

http://www.openmatradio.com/

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    Awesome saved for later.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    suhweet
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    Donaher invented the Darce choke... Damn.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    Big fan of Open Mat Radio recently since the BJ Penn posts. Eddie and Denny's episodes were very cool and I cant wait to listen to John Danaher's later.

Keep up the awesome work guys.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    LOL seems like one of the guys wasn't happy with Danaher's statement that today's BJJ champs would beat the old legends.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    LOL seems like one of the guys wasn't happy with Danaher's statement that today's BJJ champs would beat the old legends.
    Some people can't accept the truth! Jiu Jitsu has evolved! So have the athletes!

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack LaBarge View Post
    Some people can't accept the truth! Jiu Jitsu has evolved! So have the athletes!
    The game has definitely changed. Truth is, they're both entitled to their opinion because it's debatable since those matches won't happen. But in the case of a guy like Roger Gracie, he's as textbook as it gets. He represents that old school is still effective. So maybe the podcast host sees this as evidence that even though JJ has evolved, fundementals still rule. He's admittedly an old school type of guy. Danaher, on the other hand, feels that the new school of guys have tech plus athleticism and this puts the odds in their favor. Interesting convo that would've been cool to hear expounded.

I'm not sure where I land because I believe JJ is about the practitioner. Fundementals vs flash? No, IMO it's person vs person. So who knows? I did find it funny though how flustered he got. Almost like he got insulted. I understand though.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Great episode guys. And to respond to your worry about posting your flyers, please keep posting them. Its a nice little reminder.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Sergio Penha
    I think that Raf and myself (think that the older generation of fighters do not always get the respect they deserve. Fabio Gurgel took the Europeans not too long ago, Liborio is known to school guys at ATT and Rashad even said Ze Mario is a beast to roll with. These guys are all decades past their prime and can still fight hard. So to make such a definitive statement was a bit of a surprise. We can all agree that the athleticism and breadth of techniques is increasing as time goes on. Look at many of the top guys today and you'll see very old school fundamentals at play. This can co-occur with new styles as well. So you can have some crazy Mendes Bros techniques that win championships in the same tournament as Roger who is as classic as they come. There is room for everything. We're just happy it's giving people something to talk about. We readily admit that our opinions are not the only ones out there. Danaher is light years away in technique and knowledge than I am. However I think it's fun to discuss things in an open way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast