Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th planet ak HotBox

Disrespect from Local Bjj instructor

hey guys,
    Been a while since i shared a story so i thought u guys would get a kick out of this shit. So recently i was awarded my Blue belt from Eddie Bravo. I live in a small town in Alaska Called Fairbanks. I train at a gym Called Frostbite Valetudo who is taught by a Marcelo Alonso brown belt. We will call him, "Jeff".

So on Friday I attended a Marcelo Alonso seminar because i train at this gym. After the seminar Marcelo pulls me to the side and begins to ask me ?'s about where i learned Bjj and who i am ranked under. I explained to him that I was ranked under Eddie Bravo. He tells me that I am doing a great job and I should keep it up.

The next day i run into a buddy of mine who trains with me and is a blue belt under Marcelo, He tells me that the brown belt coach at the gym i train at (who i twister-ed while rolling about a week ago, made me happy) after i talked to Marcelo was talking shit saying that I shouldn't be a blue belt and that none of the 10th planet shit works on him or his students ever. he also when i roll with his students coaches the guys i roll with to get out of my pussy 10th planet guard and work there game.

I pay gym dues at this gym, I have been nothing but nice to this dude, who is actually dating my sister, and everyone else in the gym loves me. I don't understand how someone could be so disrespectful to me and the system i love. I will continue to use "Pussy 10th planet moves" to tap him and his students.

I am also going to be documenting all of this bullshit i go through at the gym on video and making a monthly episode of the highlights.

Array

School
    10th planet jiu jitsu sthlm, Sweden
    hehe get used to it!! There´s always going to be people who dislike what we do and thats goooodg, because it makes us better and sharper. When you have a sensei who thinks this is "Right" and that is "wrong"...you know for sure his perception of jiu jitsu is very limited.

Array

School
    10th planet ak HotBox
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus Hansson View Post
    When you have a sensei who thinks this is "Right" and that is "wrong"...you know for sure his perception of jiu jitsu is very limited.
    I agree!

Array

School
    Stallion Gym / Arte Suave Stuttgart
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus Hansson View Post
    hehe get used to it!!
    Yea +1. The nice guys will tell you how they don't like Eddies music while some will openly talk shit about the system. Just be polite and keep repping. More people will get interested in it (that's why happened @ my gym). You shouldn't start teaching Twisters during official classes, but if it's open mat and someone wants to know more about the hubber guartch, show him what it's about. Soon you won't be alove repping 10 in your gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Butler View Post
    I have been nothing but nice to this dude, who is actually dating my sister,
    Go on....

Array

School
    BJJ Akademie Berlin
    It's all part of the same game. I wish more people were willing to accept that there are tons of ways to do things. Jiu Jitsu will never keep growing if people close their eyes to new things. Kill em' with kindness man and keep your head high knowing that you are going to prevail with your coolness and openness.

Array

School
    no school in the area
    It's always annoying when someone gossips behind your back. There are always men who are not say something directly in your face. We call them in dutch klootzakken ( asshole) Just let it go it's not the end of the world .

Array

School
    10th Planet Vista
    i used to own a school about 13 yrs ago in seattle and marcelo was my business partner. i could tell you lots of things about marcelo, but it was so long ago i am going to leave it in the past.

what i will say is he is a very traditional carlson gracie black belt dedicated to carlsons system and doesnt like change.

i am surprised he didnt say you cant train there if you are training at 10th planet.

you should just train 10pjj on your own and practice it while rolling in class.

back then i would do different moves from catch wrestling and marcelo would get mad and say thats grosso (which means rough with no technique) and thats not jiu jitsu.

dont be surprised if you are told you cant use those techniques in class or you will have to go to a different school.

good luck

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Butler View Post
    hey guys,
    Been a while since i shared a story so i thought u guys would get a kick out of this shit. So recently i was awarded my Blue belt from Eddie Bravo. I live in a small town in Alaska Called Fairbanks. I train at a gym Called Frostbite Valetudo who is taught by a Marcelo Alonso brown belt. We will call him, "Jeff".

So on Friday I attended a Marcelo Alonso seminar because i train at this gym. After the seminar Marcelo pulls me to the side and begins to ask me ?'s about where i learned Bjj and who i am ranked under. I explained to him that I was ranked under Eddie Bravo. He tells me that I am doing a great job and I should keep it up.

The next day i run into a buddy of mine who trains with me and is a blue belt under Marcelo, He tells me that the brown belt coach at the gym i train at (who i twister-ed while rolling about a week ago, made me happy) after i talked to Marcelo was talking shit saying that I shouldn't be a blue belt and that none of the 10th planet shit works on him or his students ever. he also when i roll with his students coaches the guys i roll with to get out of my pussy 10th planet guard and work there game.

I pay gym dues at this gym, I have been nothing but nice to this dude, who is actually dating my sister, and everyone else in the gym loves me. I don't understand how someone could be so disrespectful to me and the system i love. I will continue to use "Pussy 10th planet moves" to tap him and his students.

I am also going to be documenting all of this bullshit i go through at the gym on video and making a monthly episode of the highlights.
    Grats on the blue. I don't think I even remember seeing when you got promoted. Props bro. I know that joint means a lot to you.

On the subject, it sure sucks to be in that kind of situation. From my experience, when a guy does that, it's because they're insecure. It's possible that he's afraid of losing his influence on his students. Just kill him with kindness. I'm sure you already are. Just keep being an attentive student and show him that his instruction is still valuable to you and the crew even if you are learning the 10th planet system.

Or maybe have a talk with him and let him know straight up. Like, "hey coach, I value your instruction but I also enjoy the 10th planet system's creativity and that's another way I like to express myself and get better. It doesn't mean your instruction is better or worse. It just means this is part of my journey." I mean, he really shouldn't get mad. Ask him who his favorite BJJ guys are. And when he tells you, ask him if he'd be offended if you bought some instructional videos and learned from them. Most likely he'll say no, he wouldn't be offended. So it shouldn't be any different with you earning your stripes for 10th planet.

Quote Originally Posted by ohio2berlin View Post
    It's all part of the same game. I wish more people were willing to accept that there are tons of ways to do things. Jiu Jitsu will never keep growing if people close their eyes to new things. Kill em' with kindness man and keep your head high knowing that you are going to prevail with your coolness and openness.
    Well said.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    Im not saying its the best approach by your coach by any means. Obviously you need to be open minded if you want to keep up with the times/keep improving. But I can see where he's coming from. If he's teaching a Bjj school, and not 10th planet, its obviously because thats what hes trained in, and believes it to be the most effective. So Im sure he probably doesnt want someone coming in with a new style (that he believes isnt as effective), beating his students and making them question if thats the gym they should really be training at when theres something better out there. So when you pull rubberguard, Or he see's you working lockdown, expect him to help the other kids instead of you to reassure them that they are in the right place to learn.

Remember, not everyone has an understanding of 10th planet like you do. A lot of bjj guys (especially ones who have spent years dedicated to the art) see it as a gimmick because of things theyve heard. They arent just going to believe that someone came up with a new no-gi method that is superior to what theyve been spending years learning/perfecting. You have to expect its going to take time. The good news is, This is going to be great for your game. If he's teaching them ways to escape, that means you are going to have to tighten your game and make improvements. I wouldnt take offense to it at all. Just look at it like this, say you had a 10th planet school, and a new student came in who studied japanese jiujitsu and was beating your students with it because they kept missing key elements/fundamentals of their game. You wouldnt coach the JJ guy, you would make sure to tell your students what to do to prevent them from losing, so they could understand that the principals you teach them DO in fact work. (however, it still might be a good idea to learn the techniques that you werent familiar with from the JapJJ guy to improve your game/understanding.. But thats neither here nor there)

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    We should really see pics of the sister in order to further advise.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast