Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    just keep your chin really tight to your shoulder when you come off the whip up. its like doing a double leg td in mma. you have to avoid the guillotine so you keep your shoulder tight to your chin and theres no space. this is how i keep them from getting in. ive been in the exact spot your describing n that helped me.

Array

School
    Jay Pages Jiu-Jitsu/CTA
    IMO, keeping things tight is the opposite thing you would want to do in this situation. By keeping tight, you're bringing your head closer to your opponent which is giving him or her an opportunity for the guillotine, arm in guillotine, Japanese neck tie, etc. Half guard is my favorite game to play and I've come across your situation many times. For individuals that like to attack the neck from half guard, don't give them the opportunity to. Don't leave your head close to them. Keep your distance. Get on your side and utilize a knee shield. Create a frame with your arms and hands to prevent your opponent from flattening you back out and launch your attacks from there. Watch Caio Terra's half guard. That is the half guard game you want to play if you want to prevent neck attacks. Head close = opportunity! Head far = no opportunity! Plus you don't waste as much energy or strength trying to hold and keeping you head in tight and fighting off a cross face or a stiff arm from your opponent.

Array

School
    American Combat Club
    I can definitely understand where you're coming from, but I hate the knee shield half guard. I finish a lot of toe holds and heel hooks from there, so I've pretty much scared myself out of ever using it. Plus if you don't get the toe hold you can drop your weight when they extend the leg to pass it. However, I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new.

I will definitely check out Caio Terra and see what you're talking about. I might consider playing the knee shield half guard if I find anything worth risking the leg locks. I'm pretty good at defending leg locks, but I've got a bad knee so I tend to keep my distance from any leg compromising positions.

Of course there's a counter to everything, and that is the beauty of the art, but it seems like it's a pick your poison type of situation if you don't sweep or replace guard quickly.

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne Oz Australia
    You gotta shut that shit down son! Work on your sub defence.

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Fort Lauderdale HB
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPagesJJ View Post
    IMO, keeping things tight is the opposite thing you would want to do in this situation.
    For the paths that he wants to take staying tight is essential, Im not saying what you said is wrong in any way so please dont take what Im sayin as such Jay. To be able to old school or ec you have to be tucked in. A great counter to any of the darce jnt attacks is the Mechanic sweep.

Array

School
    Jay Pages Jiu-Jitsu/CTA
    Quote Originally Posted by Terriebourgeois View Post
    I can definitely understand where you're coming from, but I hate the knee shield half guard. I finish a lot of toe holds and heel hooks from there, so I've pretty much scared myself out of ever using it. Plus if you don't get the toe hold you can drop your weight when they extend the leg to pass it. However, I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new.

I will definitely check out Caio Terra and see what you're talking about. I might consider playing the knee shield half guard if I find anything worth risking the leg locks. I'm pretty good at defending leg locks, but I've got a bad knee so I tend to keep my distance from any leg compromising positions.

Of course there's a counter to everything, and that is the beauty of the art, but it seems like it's a pick your poison type of situation if you don't sweep or replace guard quickly.
    I hear ya. Just as you said gotta pick your poison. Just find that happy median between the two.

Array

School
    Jay Pages Jiu-Jitsu/CTA
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Woolsey View Post
    For the paths that he wants to take staying tight is essential, Im not saying what you said is wrong in any way so please dont take what Im sayin as such Jay. To be able to old school or ec you have to be tucked in. A great counter to any of the darce jnt attacks is the Mechanic sweep.
    I hear ya. You're right. I guess I gotta re-read what he was saying. I thought what he was looking for was to avoid it all together. I thought it was moves like old school which was what was getting him caught mid sweep. I didn't see he wanted to continue on the path.

Array

School
    American Combat Club
    I think the mechanic sweep is what I was looking for! Thanks to Jeremy Gates and Brandon Woolsey for the suggestion. I had already thought of pinching the wizzer arm to help stop him from connecting his hands, but I hadn't realized the sweep was there. Getting back in the gym and hitting the sweep in about an hour. I spent my whole weekend thinking about the possibilities and I can't believe I overlooked the sweep LOL! Many thanks guys! I truly appreciate the help

I love using the guillotine to pass, hard to stop against somone who is always hunting for it, Marcelo loves to use it to pass

Like others said, got to keep that head and chin tight and leave no space, guys always get lazy and just leave that head hanging, once it gets locked it puts you in a pass or tap situation, dont give them that, protect your neck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12