Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur

Long hair/dreads and Jiujitsu

Hey all, I have a quick question. I have been growing dreads for bit, And I REALLY dont want to get rid of them (Ive become somewhat attached), but I have come to the point in my life where I am about to pursue jiujitsu in a very competitive manner. (lots of competitions/drilling) And I was just wondering if having long hair is something I should be concerned with. As of now, The only downsides Ive really found bothersome is when someone gains top position, And there knee or arm ends up pinning my hair down so i cant move my head. And also, it makes it somewhat uncomfortable/difficult to escape guillotines at certain times.

So to those of you with long hair.. Do you feel like it is a hindrance at all while competing? Do those skullcaps/headgear really fix the problem/stay secure the whole time? Any suggestions on which caps I should use? Ect.. I would love to keep my dreads, but at the same time.. In my list of priorities, reaching my full potential in jiujitsu is above keeping my locks. So if its necessary, Im sure I could part with them.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    I had long hair for years, and dreads are bad ass. I think most peeps serious about BJJ end up cutting it. I personally do not like to roll with peeps with long hair, and avoid it if I can.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by chronic_jiujitsu View Post
    Hey all, I have a quick question. I have been growing dreads for bit, And I REALLY dont want to get rid of them (Ive become somewhat attached), but I have come to the point in my life where I am about to pursue jiujitsu in a very competitive manner. (lots of competitions/drilling) And I was just wondering if having long hair is something I should be concerned with. As of now, The only downsides Ive really found bothersome is when someone gains top position, And there knee or arm ends up pinning my hair down so i cant move my head. And also, it makes it somewhat uncomfortable/difficult to escape guillotines at certain times.

So to those of you with long hair.. Do you feel like it is a hindrance at all while competing? Do those skullcaps/headgear really fix the problem/stay secure the whole time? Any suggestions on which caps I should use? Ect.. I would love to keep my dreads, but at the same time.. In my list of priorities, reaching my full potential in jiujitsu is above keeping my locks. So if its necessary, Im sure I could part with them.
    You should be good to compete with dreads. I haven't seen to many jiu jitsu girls with butch hair so they must know a trick to keep it out of the way.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    When I did Judo man I hand long hair and it honestly served as a huge distraction, and if I was thrown sometimes they would land on it or it would get it in my face or mouth and worse sometimes get pulled. Honestly cutting it was probably the best thing I ever did for my game. I think when you get serious you will ultimately cut them off. Dreads are a lot of work though and really bad ass so I can see why you want to keep them around.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    I have hair just past my shoulders. Not dreaded. My hairs is pretty thick (like each hair is thick) it does not hurt at all when it gets pulled or I have to pull it out from under someone. It only bothers me when it gets in my mouth but I don't really notice until we're resetting. One thing that does bother me is guys are too nice about it. I can tell at certain times they are trying to avoid pulling it or hesitate to grab my neck. For that reason I'm considering cutting it. Thing is I might not have many years before I start to go bald so I kinda want to keep it till then.

I also wonder what girls do and if headgear helps.

Array

School
    10PJJ Ronin/ Victory MMA
    Ended up cutting mine off after braiding it back and tying it up for as long as I could stand.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Jj is to damn sweaty for dreads.

As for long hair, there will be a position at some point where it will be a disadvantage. It would suck if that point were in the finals of a tournament. Against a d-bag that you really wanted to beat.

A really good training partner of mine has long curly locks that he identifies with. He also outweighs me so I'm super tight when I play rg on him. When I cleared to chilldog one of those locks got caught between my forearm and shin. I kungfu moved and we transitioned. Anyway, after the roll that lock was laying on the mat and I have purposely released clinches because of that since then. Won't give two shits if in a comp.

It is a liability, your call on how big.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post

As for long hair, there will be a position at some point where it will be a disadvantage. It would suck if that point were in the finals of a tournament. Against a d-bag that you really wanted to beat.

A really good training partner of mine has long curly locks that he identifies with. He also outweighs me so I'm super tight when I play rg on him. When I cleared to chilldog one of those locks got caught between my forearm and shin. I kungfu moved and we transitioned. Anyway, after the roll that lock was laying on the mat and I have purposely released clinches because of that since then. Won't give two shits if in a comp.

It is a liability, your call on how big.
    You just sent chills down my spine. I have long golden locks. What about headgear, does it help? And what do women do?

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post

Anyway, after the roll that lock was laying on the mat
    Ive thought about that countless times. Realistically if you lose a dread, its really easy to re-attach, but still.. Im sure it wouldnt feel great. And what you mentioned about the sweatiness I wondered too. I wash my dreads every other day, but still.. I picture a sweaty mat and just see my dreads acting like a giant mop. Thats another reason I was hoping there were nice caps available that would prevent them from coming out. I remember seeing eddie use a skullcap/headset and it seemed to stay pretty secure when Id watch him roll, But I also wonder if its because his hair was a bit shorter, and if it would work as well with dreads. Pretty much.. If I cant find a good cap, Im pretty positive Ill have to cut them.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    I had dreads 3 1/2+ feet long, I cut them for jitsu... If you want to compete seriously I would have to say it will prove to be a massive challenge and burden, unless maybe you wear a scuba suit like eddie used to... but even then I don't think so. If you keep them short you can probably get by without much problems but in general, short hair = performance in jitsu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast