Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester

Metamoris Pro: Ryron Gracie vs. Andre Galvao (Gracie Breakdown)

They should have gone to the 10th Planet East Coast Training Camp 2 Tournament. Where Submission Rules

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    These break downs keep getting longer and longer, if he had won it would have been a 24 hr long break down.
    Last edited by Ryan Brick; 10-25-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Brick View Post
    These break downs keep getting longer and longer, if he had won it would have been a 24 hr long break down.
    They aren't adding content they are just talking slower and repeating themselves more.

Array

School
    vortex jiujitsu
    lol jeff kept it too playful

As a white belt who gets dominated this is very important to me, and from now until when I get old and my body starts to go I need practice these Helio Gracie principles through every belt stage

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy, NYC
    One cool thing about Ryron's performance is that you could watch it and say, "I could do that." As he points out in this video, Ryron isn't a perfect physical specimen who's training super hard 7 days a week doing super intense workouts like say, GSP. By comparison to GSP or even Galvao, Ryron is a "regular" guy and it is impressive how well he was able to do against a world champion. It's reminescent of Royce who wasn't physically cut up like Ken Shamrock, but Royce was still able to surivive and even beat several different opponents.

As the video points out, when you are a young, strong guy that sort of thing may not be that important to you. But when you're old like me, you appreciate knowing that "regular" people can indeed find something worthwhile in jiu jitsu training.

On another note, how great was it towards the end of the video when Ryron said, "Calm down, bro" to Rener. As much as we all love Rener's videos, I think every one of us has wanted to quiet him down more than once.

Array

School
    vortex jiujitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Hamilton View Post
    As a white belt who gets dominated this is very important to me, and from now until when I get old and my body starts to go I need practice these Helio Gracie principles through every belt stage
    excellent mentality, one of my students was the smallest dude in the class and he always got physically dominated. but he told me he was just getting these " small wins " defending a choke hear defending a sub there, & his defense got super tight. now he roles up big dudes like it aint shit, I love watching him role up big dudes tire them out and eventually break them. the look on there faces as this little dude sweeps them and they start breaking is priceless. Helio's jiujitsu is beutiful, and when i hear dudes like Galvao talk shit about Ryons approach it makes me feal like even "world champions" don't really know the true essence of jiujitsu or where there own art "comes from" and the philosophy behind it. dudes are just " lost " in the points game.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    Once a long time ago, I was visiting a Pedro Sauer school. While rolling with a high belt level, he was on mount with one knee up foot on the floor. Everytime I would try and escape he would go for a submission. I then just layed there, because I was in no danger and he wasn't even putting any pressure on me. He said "you need to do something, your down on points" I said "I don't care about points, you are not attacking so I'm OK here" He promtly crushed me and walked away, never to talk to me again.
    Last edited by Greg W; 10-26-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Array

School
    vortex jiujitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg W View Post
    Once a long time ago, I was visiting a Pedro Sauer school. While rolling with a high belt level, he was on mount with one knee up foot on the floor. Everytime I would try and escape he would go for a submission. I then just layed there, because I was in no danger and he wasn't even putting any pressure on me. He said "you need to do something, your down on points" I said "I don't care about points, you are attacking so I'm OK here" He promtly crushed me and walked away, never to talk to me again.
    what a retard that dude is, jiujitsu aint about fucking points period. If you go crazy trying to avoid getting points scored on you then you'll gass and be fucked, Royce won against giant monsters by using Helio's philosophy
    and that's the jiujitsu that got most of us involved. & when dudes have specialized points training and even train with time limits in the academy there missing the whole point and essence of jiujitsu. That's why Helio split from the ibjjf and was never down with points. & for the small dudes in my class Helio's philosophy is really the only chance they have to beat bigger dudes that know what they know.

Quote Originally Posted by derrick ikwueme View Post
    what a retard that dude is, jiujitsu aint about fucking points period. If you go crazy trying to avoid getting points scored on you then you'll gass and be fucked, Royce won against giant monsters by using Helio's philosophy
    and that's the jiujitsu that got most of us involved. & when dudes have specialized points training and even train with time limits in the academy there missing the whole point and essence of jiujitsu. That's why Helio split from the ibjjf and was never down with points. & for the small dudes in my class Helio's philosophy is really the only chance they have to beat bigger dudes that know what they know.
    I think points can be appropriate. Do we all want to see more submissions? Absolutely! It's the most fun part of the art. I would like to understand what people want though. Do people want ADCC and the Worlds for example, to be submission only, with a draw when the time limit is reached. If you have it go to a ref's decision, then you run into the problem you have now, where people just try to appear more active in the eyes of the judges. Realistically this would make tournaments almost impossible, as draws would happen often at the top level.

I think simply saying let's do away with points is like cutting off the head to stop the headache. The biggest reason points are abused has to do with the officiating. In wrestling you can't back up without a stalling penalty. In Jiu-Jitsu you have to have a 5 minute staring contest before a ref calls a warning. If more aggressive stalling calls were implemented, it would help tremendously. ADCC also has a good idea, with no points in the first half, people open their games up. Eddie Bravo had a good idea for his 10th Planet tournaments to do the PSL/Budo Challenge thing and have "catch points" for close submission attempts. That's a good solution also.

On some level too, I think a lot of this is a non-issue. The whole "abusing points to eek out a win" is vastly over exaggerated. When you get to the finals of ADCC or the Worlds, the matches are going to be close. Most championship games or matches in other sports, from basketball to Judo, are won in close margins, and usually aren't blowouts. If you look at the last Worlds and the last ADCC, most of the Gold medalists finished almost all of their matches. Even the ones that didn't win their Gold medal matches by submission, they almost all won the majority of their other matches by submission.

Metamoris was exciting, even the matches that didn't end in submission. Lots of Worlds '12 and ADCC '11 matches were awesome that ended in points, but had guys pushing the pace. I follow competition BJJ pretty close, and gi or no-gi, I can think of maybe a handfull of competitors that really abuse the point system to try to win on advantages. The best guys out there are finishing most of their matches. I'm telling you guys, the people that try to squeak by on advantages are getting exposed and losing. Pablo Popovitch (who stalls on the reg) tried to stall while up on 2 points on Lovato at the last No-Gi Worlds and paid for it. Claudio Calasans (who usually hunts for the finish) tried to stall on points on Otavio Souza at the Worlds this year in the finals, and it cost him the Gold. It's not a smart strategy and the best guys know this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast