Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Abingdon MMA

How to deal with aggressive wrestlers?

First, I wanna say that I don't train at a 10th planet school or train Jiu-Jitsu at all, but they let us roll in our gym. I watch Eddie's MTS videos on youtube cuz I know I can learn something off of it, even though he cuts it off before the good part/solution comes up . Anyway, I only train boxing for now, but really took Eddie's advice when he said just practice on your technique on kicks. I'll be goin to Marcelo's gym in NY for like a week soon, so hopefully i'll learn something from him.

Anyways, the first time the wrestler first came into our gym; we rolled and the story was basically he took me down, passed my guard ... but he didn't mount me, he went to North/South pos. and I rolled him over and got an armbar Yey.

But I would like to ask you guys, how do you deal with that? I myself try not to get agressive at all when he's like really super aggressive & tries to muscle his way through, cuz the more he gets agressive, the more I get agressive. Cuz i've read somewhere that it's not good to be agressive and muscle your way through? is that correct?

Sorry guys, just a noobie here ... trying to learn something. Thank you sir Eddie for gettin me into Jiu-Jitsu. We miss you at the JRE

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    Okay, so you don't train, but you're a Purple Belt?

I like Butterfly Guard against wrestlers, but if you've not trained for a while, work hard on your basics.

Array

School
    Abingdon MMA
    Thank you sir.

& Sorry, it wouldn't let me choose to "none".

Electric chair+++++ saved my ass first 3 years in jj against national level wrestlers
    Keep your stick on the ice TO THE 10TH POWER!!!

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    dont expect to win like a hot knife cutting through butter unless you're really technical or use more strength than him. you got him didn't you, it just wasn't at will. Wrestlers have a good base sweeping is often hard from butterfly and easier from half i find.

http://www.10thplanetjj.com/threads/...cie-Breakdown)

Array

School
    10th Planet London
    Quote Originally Posted by NiCo_MysticPeak View Post
    First, I wanna say that I don't train at a 10th planet school or train Jiu-Jitsu at all, but they let us roll in our gym. I watch Eddie's MTS videos on youtube cuz I know I can learn something off of it, even though he cuts it off before the good part/solution comes up . Anyway, I only train boxing for now, but really took Eddie's advice when he said just practice on your technique on kicks.
    This entire section had me pretty convinced you were just trolling. I almost rage quit.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Team
    Sign up for a pro membership on this page. It will be the best MONTHLY $5 you ever spent. I PROMISE!!!!!

Invest in yourself. Be prepared for everything

Array

School
    Marc Walder BJJ Academy, Essex, UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Gould View Post
    Sign up for a pro membership on this page. It will be the best MONTHLY $5 you ever spent. I PROMISE!!!!!
    what he said. best $5 you'll ever spend. especially if you dont train jiu jitsu and want to learn some shit. its the full MTS videos from youtube.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    [QUOTE=Ryan Brick;147820] Wrestlers have a good base sweeping is often hard from butterfly and easier from half i find.

This is what I've found as well, Jay Chow must have a pretty sick butterfly.

Being aggressive isn't bad per se but you have to have good breath control and work intelligently.

I'm new as well but I quite a bit of mat time and almost everyone I roll with has wrestling experience. This really helped me,

http://www.10thplanetjj.com/threads/...highlight=keys

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Lots of variables to consider such as exactly how aggressive they're being, how long they've been wrestling, and how long they've been doing jiu-jitsu. There are a couple of guys at the gym I go to who started out as pure wrestlers who tried to strong-arm everything. From my experience with guys of that style, let them think they're having their way. They're so focused on overpowering you, that they often don't think that you might be allowing them to get themselves into a position more to your advantage (i.e. if you want them to go one way, push them in the other direction. They'll push back). If they're still somewhat green in terms of jiu-jitsu, then the sweep is the best option IMO. Most pure wrestlers do the dying cockroach when put on their back. Half-guard sweeps work a bit better, because wrestlers usually have a strong base, and with half guard you can have at least 50% of their base compromised.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast