Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Grow a beard.
    This works, Just ask andrei arlovski

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    OK,OK, all good points, strong neck is always a plus. But, Brock Lesner has a monster neck and his chin is/was glass. This is way out there and some will freak out for me even saying it, but go easy on the sparring head shots. I read a study that repeated head blows actually makes you easier to knock out over time. I'll try and find the article. If you played football in High school you may be well on that road. It is fairly well accepted that your first concussion is the hardest to get. By the time you have had 3-4 it is pretty easy for you to get the next one.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Passini View Post
    Work on head movement so you don't get hit. The idea is to hit and not get hit. The "chin" you are speaking of isn't something that you can strengthen. If that was the case then no pro boxer/mma fighter would get knocked out. Now strengthening your neck and traps help but not solve it. It is also about composure when you get rocked. Some dudes are born with good chins but that doesn't last for ever. Protect your brain, it can't be replaced or fixed.
    That's what I thought.

The reason you get KO'd is from that neck snapping motion. Problem is, physics is against you because your neck won't be strong enough to withstand a legit punch that lands on the button. If genetics has blessed you, having a short neck and square jaw helps you a lot (think BJ Penn). Having a long neck and pointy chin makes you easier to knock out. Passini is right. Best to learn how to roll with punches. Getting dropped with a straight doesn't mean much about your chin. You just got hit on the button. Lotta guys get dropped with straights. Jonny Hendricks KO'd Kampmann with a straight. Strengthening your neck is good. But it's not a surefire way to avoid getting KO'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg W View Post
    OK,OK, all good points, strong neck is always a plus. But, Brock Lesner has a monster neck and his chin is/was glass. This is way out there and some will freak out for me even saying it, but go easy on the sparring head shots. I read a study that repeated head blows actually makes you easier to knock out over time. I'll try and find the article. If you played football in High school you may be well on that road. It is fairly well accepted that your first concussion is the hardest to get. By the time you have had 3-4 it is pretty easy for you to get the next one.
    To be fair, Brock never got KO'd. He just doesn't like getting hit. His chin was fine. His heart wasn't.

Array

School
    Rock ministries of philadelphia/ 10th planet Philly hotbox
    idk know if a chin can be strengthened but keeping your chin tucked and defence tight may help

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    It was my understanding that when you get knocked out what is happening is your jaw is pushed back far enough that it pinches a nerve shut and then you go unconcious.

If the muscles that hold your jaw in place are already weak i dont think there is anything you can do. Just make sure you keep your mouth shut and chin hidden.

If there was a way to strengthen it UFC fighters wouldnt get knoked out easy during the end of there career.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Grow a beard.
    See Brock Lesnar vs Cain Velazquez for effectiveness of this method.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler larsen View Post
    this works, just ask andrei arlovski
    lol
    www.10thplanetchicago.com
    Chicago Original
    Wrestling Saves Lives
    Caveman Coffee Supporter
    www.cavemancoffeeco.com
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday - Jeff Mirabella

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Brick View Post
    It was my understanding that when you get knocked out what is happening is your jaw is pushed back far enough that it pinches a nerve shut and then you go unconcious.

If the muscles that hold your jaw in place are already weak i dont think there is anything you can do. Just make sure you keep your mouth shut and chin hidden.

If there was a way to strengthen it UFC fighters wouldnt get knoked out easy during the end of there career.
    They say that this nerve is real but I asked Docs, and my A&P Professors when I was in college entering the Medical field, and all said this is a not true. This is how you can break your jaw without getting knocked out. I think it has more to do with the brain stem than other things. Plus the human body has fail safes in place to keep you alive(getting knocked out, blood leaving the extremities to keep vital organs from failing, etc). I'm no expert but seems plausible to me.
    Chicago Original
    Wrestling Saves Lives
    Caveman Coffee Supporter
    www.cavemancoffeeco.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Ask John Mejia, I thinks he has been in over a hundred Hockey fights and hasn't ever gone out, and has put many fools to sleep.
    Chicago Original
    Wrestling Saves Lives
    Caveman Coffee Supporter
    www.cavemancoffeeco.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    The best way to put it, is not to get hit, especially flush on the "Button". I've been punched in the face tons bareknuckles, with gloves, and the one thing that holds true is taking a glancing blow is better than taking a full on powerhand to the face. I have never been KO'd (Knock on wood) but I can probably attribute that to my wonderfully thick skull, and my Cro-Magnon like facial structure... lol In your case I would work tons and tons of head movement and keep you hands up and chin tucked.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast