Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    I'm not sure why you made the compairson at all, they aren't even remotely similar. They have nothing in common other than the term "reap". As to date Judo has zero recorded deaths in competiton, the potential for someone to hit their head is defiantly there, however thats why ukemi waza (break falls) are taught the first day of practice. It is ironic the reaping from bjj is actually in the Judo kata Katame-no-kata which was my first exposure to reaping the knee and when I started playing with it back in 1993.

The photo is harai-goshi (sweeping hip throw), and yes, you don't want to take that throw
    I made the comparison (though I knew it was weak) because they are similarly named moves from grappeling sports and have potential for great damage.

The similarity I see is that in both cases you are warping your foot around a part of the opponents body. I assume that's why they are similarly named.

Judoka v Judoka I would expect the potential for serious damage to be very little for the reason you mentioned. Just like BJJ players need to know what to do if an opnt is reaping their knee Judoka need to know how to fall. Its easy to believe that no judoaka has died from this but I'm pretty sure other grappelers have died from being slammed on their neck. I'm not saying that makes judo dangerous. In fact more wrestles have died from dehydration cutting weight than from being slammed on the necks. But your not allowed to slam the crap out of someone in collegiate wrestling.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    I made the comparison (though I knew it was weak) because they are similarly named moves from grappeling sports and have potential for great damage.

The similarity I see is that in both cases you are warping your foot around a part of the opponents body. I assume that's why they are similarly named.

Judoka v Judoka I would expect the potential for serious damage to be very little for the reason you mentioned. Just like BJJ players need to know what to do if an opnt is reaping their knee Judoka need to know how to fall. Its easy to believe that no judoaka has died from this but I'm pretty sure other grappelers have died from being slammed on their neck. I'm not saying that makes judo dangerous. In fact more wrestles have died from dehydration cutting weight than from being slammed on the necks. But your not allowed to slam the crap out of someone in collegiate wrestling.
    Actually reaping/sweeping are interchangeable in japanese for the word "gari". It only references the motion of sweeping the leg through in a sickle like motion, not wrapping your foot around like you suggested. In Jiu Jitsu its referred to one particular technique of crossing the leg over the opponents centerline creating torque on the opponents knee and hip. There is nothing in common with the terms other than the names themselves. There are several techniques in Judo classified as sweeps (ie. reaps) not all are high impact, there are several foot sweeps that are very low impact. All too often judo techniques are classified or lumped into "Judo throws" or "Judo trips" when there over a hundred (including variations) of throws and sweeps in Judo.

One of the reasons you don't find alot of serious neck trauma (I'm sure it exists) is one of the goals of sport Judo is to throw your opponent flat on his back with speed and impetus. The level of control is important, which is why you see no fatal throws to the head in Judo. The thrower wants his opponent to land on his back not on his head , to win via Ippon. If the opponent is thrown on his head it’s an immediate DQ.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Makes sense about the names. I know what both moves are. It did seem pretty week that they would be named similarly just because you are using your putting your foot/ankle over or behind a part of the opnts body.

I wasn't thinking about the fact that Ippon is awarded on that basis, my farther was a judoka and I' have some videos and books I try learning from and I watched judo in the Olympics two times now but, you know, basically I don't know shit.

Array

School
    10p Ronin
    Signed

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Bump

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123