Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sam Sales

Quote Originally Posted by Cora Sek View Post
    Yes you are right... her last tournament, in the NO gi, Cora tapped this boy out in about 20 seconds and he didn't even know what hit him, all he can do was look at his coach and say "what happened??". When they finished with the no gi, I saw that kid in the gi with an orange belt on.
    WOW. :-)

Some coaches (mine included) do not include your nogi game at all when grading.
    For example some coaches may decide to reward the guy that trains in the gi twice per week a stripe, but ignore another guy that trains 5 times per week just because 4 of those sessions are nogi and not gi. Even though that guy is more committed to jiu jitsu and training AND is more skillfull. Crazy, but it does happen. :-)

As I say, I am still a noob so have no place to talk, but I honestly feel grading should be based entirely on mat/class time. Like, I think it's Relson Gracie that grades 1 stripe every 50 sessions. That is the fairest way IMO.

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    Mr Sanborn, wow....that was a mouth full.. Thank you for taking the time to write such a beautiful essay your point well taken and believe me, I always and have felt the same way as you when it comes to belt color.

Mr. Rivers, yes I train Cora at home. But its not just for her, its for me too cus I'm pushing 40 and getting old and fat. And since my knees are not what it used to be, I've cut down my basketball (my sport) to spend more time on the mat with Cora. Also she is growing so fast that I have to find something that we can do together and bond more during her childhood years because at a blink of an eye, she will be all grown up and we might not have our chance like we do now.

Array

School
    Nova Uniao BJ Penns MMAA
    my pleash my fren! I've watched some of her videos. Without a doubt talented, and I can't wait for my two infants to grow up so I can be a proud martial arts father as well.

take it ez my bahdy.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    So your daughter's name is Cora? What is your name sir? You can call me Bobby.

You should train at your daughter's school as well. It's the best way for you to gain the perspective desire.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    *you desire

Array

School
    10th Planet Pasadena
    Once you go forward, you can never go backwards. Sandbag as long as you can, buy her ice cream if she's feeling down. You know what she's capable of, she knows what she's capable of, just keep doing your thing, she's only 9 yrs old. Belts and ranks and stripes and stars and all these little tokens we use to keep people motivated are just symbolic references. Try not to take it too seriously.

Array

School
    Mr. Sanborn: I also have a year old son that I can't wait to get him kick and rolling..

Bobby: I'm Bruce (american name), you don't want to know my real name. its too hard to type or say...lol Anyways the idea of me joining also did come to mind, but wasn't able to make it come true. YOu see i'm already paying $170 for her month to do this. Can't afford to put me in it also. Besides, her class is from 6-7:30pm (include black belt club). By the time we get home its almost 8pm and then we cook and have dinner. WHat time do I have? THis is monday thru friday. That is why guys my age get old and fat, we just have too much on our plate to have any time for ourselves. Besides, my days of competing is done, I had my fun in high school doing track and field, power lifting, and football. Always tried to get on the basketball team, but didn't make it, too short...lol

Array

School
    Compella: lol you read my mind or something??? we took her to Tutty Fruity the next day and she had over 10 oz of ice cream...lol

ok talk to you guys more in a little bit, need to hit the mat. We getting ready for NAGA on 12/16 up in Dallas area. Polishing up her Rubber Guard and taking the back.

Array

School
    Mikey Burnett's Lion's Den Tulsa
    Where does Cora train?

Array

School
    Cora trains at one of the best MMA gym in Houston....Team Tooke... her head coach (Travis Tooke) is a great guy. He has a way with the kids. If you guys watched the UFC fight on FX last night, he was in the corner of Eve Edwards, that is one of his UFC student.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast