Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Build it and they shall come, another kindred spirit looking for a home.

Got this message today and I'm seeing more and more of this. B

Hello there
    I just found out there was a 10th planet affiliate in Yuma, and YOU were the instructor. I'm from EL Centro and have been training bjj since 05 on and off self taught by books videos from the 10th planet system, and implying them at a Gracie affiliate school. No longer is that place around.

I then went to another school down here, a joe moreira affiliate school ( ran by a brown belt) and while i was there I realized the students there were pretty NEW to bjj and he wanted to promote me to a blue belt for whatever reason and wanted me to help teach a no gi class. Just when I thought everything was going great for me, then one day I was rolling with one of the students and the instructor yelled at me to stop, that I was twisting the guys neck, All I was doing was clearing the neck from Mission Control. The instructor had no idea really what I was doing but knew it was "some kind of eddie bravo stuff". As he once said after from seeing

me grapple. He then blew up on me and when I say blew up I mean he called me every bad word you can think of and brought up eddie bravo saying I wanted to be him, then he proceeded to bad mouth 10th planet jj. Right there and then I realized this guy doesn't want me after all at his school and secretly hates everything about 10th planet. I got up and left... it was the most surreal experience ever. I still really can't believe that happened.

I now train the gi and no gi over @ Kombat Sports.

However i'm realizing mostly everything I do is from the 10th planet system, and would love a chance to finally go train at a affiliate school. I'm glad there is a school near by. I've seen the facility where you're located and pretty much dig it. Hopefully I can head on down soon.. well thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Brian Beaumont AKA Thor; 08-20-2010 at 07:45 PM.

I told him that he's down with Eddie he's family here. You can join any gym but you belong to 10th planet. There are a lot of taleted, gifted, wounded warriors out there and it's my prayer that they'll all find a home. There are 3 stages that any new truth must pass through, 1) ridicule 2) Anger 3) they are excepted as self evident. I think 10th planet is passing from stage 2 to 3 but keep your guard up and help those in need.
    Last edited by Brian Beaumont AKA Thor; 08-20-2010 at 11:13 PM.

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    I can definitely relate!

Array

School
    Fi-G Muay Thai/Honeybadger MMA
    After reading this stuff on here I was pretty tense about using anything 10th Planet at the gym started at recently. Luckily the trainer is super open minded and is happy for anyone to do anything. He does straight no gi, and is awesome at it and Iv tried to sell 10th Planet to him, but he assures me the gi is the key to getting good at no gi. Quite entertaining and a lot better than getting yelled at!

If you get stuck in Townsville Australia look up Craig at Sphere Martial Arts.

Array

School
    10th planet
    wow, that's an intense story bro. I don't know how I would have reacted in that situation, but most likely I would have been frozen in shock. I'm glad he found your school.

Array

School
    Ronin
    I fear a similar situation. I recently started at a new gym after trying for a while to find one close enough to where I live with a no gi scheduale that would match mine. I found one with a pretty solid reputaion and got the gi will make your no gi game better from 3diferent coaches already. They were all super nice tho and I just listened respectfully and stuck to my guns about wanting to train no gi. I was even a little reluctant to where my melee shorts in fear somebody would make the conection but I wore them anyway. Its not redicule im worried about. People can talk all the shit they want I choose my own path and dont care what other people think. I just dont want to get tossed out on my can, I need a place to train! My plan is to fly under the radar learn everything I can and slip in the 10th planet stuff when I can and keep working it on my own. If anybody says anything about 10th planet or
    Eddie Bravo Im just going to play dumb until I get a better fill for the situation. All they know about my prior jiu jitsu knowledge is that its been 8 yrs since Ive been in an actuale gym. Im not trying to decive anybody or disrespect them I just want to train jiu jitsu.
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Wylie View Post
    I fear a similar situation. I recently started at a new gym after trying for a while to find one close enough to where I live with a no gi scheduale that would match mine. I found one with a pretty solid reputaion and got the gi will make your no gi game better from 3diferent coaches already. They were all super nice tho and I just listened respectfully and stuck to my guns about wanting to train no gi. I was even a little reluctant to where my melee shorts in fear somebody would make the conection but I wore them anyway. Its not redicule im worried about. People can talk all the shit they want I choose my own path and dont care what other people think. I just dont want to get tossed out on my can, I need a place to train! My plan is to fly under the radar learn everything I can and slip in the 10th planet stuff when I can and keep working it on my own. If anybody says anything about 10th planet or
    Eddie Bravo Im just going to play dumb until I get a better fill for the situation. All they know about my prior jiu jitsu knowledge is that its been 8 yrs since Ive been in an actuale gym. Im not trying to decive anybody or disrespect them I just want to train jiu jitsu.
    All I have, and all Im ever going to have where I am in NZ is some mats, a bunch of guys and the 10th Planet books, DVDs and this website, youtube, submissions 101 etc.

When I left NZ (Im in Australia for an operation) we were up to page 65 Mastering The Rubber Guard, which if you have it handy you will see is bugger all. I have drilled up to Old School, Plan B, The Electric Chair.

Coming to another gym here in Aussie which is thankfully open minded and No Gi friendly has taught me enough is it is en. I have been beasted by several guys, but have electric chaired a few. I have no one to drill with here, but I have got several things Iv never drilled, just studied the videos.

I cant wait to get back to my mats and the people I have who are willing to train and start working systematically from the books again. Eddie made them perfectly. Iv seen others in the same layout and they take three times as many pictures, and I still cant tell what the fuck they are on about. Have you considered just doing your own thing? A garage, some willing bodies, some mats, and periodic pilgrimages to 10th Planet gyms.
    Last edited by Tim Elliott; 08-20-2010 at 11:23 PM.

Array

School
    Ronin
    I have over the years got a few guys who seemed interested to work with me here and there but nothing consistant I am however in the process of clearing out a room in my house and im going to buy some puzzle mats and really fix it up right in hopes this will get some people to take it serious but I still beleive a compatent coach is needed to complete your jiu jitsu game and I think it really accelerates the learning process. pg. 65 electric chair sweep next up stoner controle
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    I completely agree with you. But it comes down to what you want to learn. I dont want to put a Gi on, I dont see the point. If the teachers you have are teaching you something you dont want to learn you are learning faster and progressing towards your ultimate goal more slowly. I wish I had a teacher (anyone want to move to Dunedin?) but I dont, so I have to make the best of it.

The problem I had before I left for aussie is that I ended up teaching a rapidly growing class. With no knowledge! Me and another guy would drill say, two to three techniques from the book every day of the week, then we would teach them to everyone else Wednesday and Saturday. It worked well enough but as we were drilling the stuff every day while the Muay Thai classes were running, people saw us doing it. They would ask to come, and I was say cool, more the merrier. I just feel like a fraud teaching when I dont really know anything.

It's OK to be the voice of one crying out in the wilderness. Work with what you've got. "When the student is ready the teacher appears". I self taught Eddie's stuff for 3 years before I met someone who actually trained with him. (John Botello very cool guy). My stuff wasn't perfect but I was surprised at how close I had got. Eveyone wants a master, coach, mentor to give them the answers they need. Sometimes you just have to accept that that person is you. Don't misrepressent yourself, everything I taught for the first 3 years started with "in my opinion". There's something to be said for working twice as hard for the same result. Then you've earned it. Stay commited to the process and good things will follow. There's more and more resources out there tap into them. And remember your family here. Know what you want and know why you want it. "Clear eyes and a full heart will never lose"
    Last edited by Brian Beaumont AKA Thor; 08-21-2010 at 04:40 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast