Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    John Frankl Jiu-Jitsu Competition Team

Effectiveness of lockdown

Hello~ I've been training BJJ for around 9 months and I received my blue belt not long ago.
    Our school usually trains in gi jiu-jitsu but we also train no-gi jiu-jitsu during the summer.
    I was hoping to find a school teaching 10th planet system but it seems that there isn't one here in Korea and the one I found here in Seoul is kinda too faraway from my area cos the gym is right outside Seoul.
    About a few months ago I've been practicing Eddie Bravo's techniques through his DVDs with a friend of mine.
    Nowadays, I don't really have partner to train rubber guard and so on cos people doesn't give a damn about Eddie.
    Anyway~ my question is it seems that whip up and other techniques from half guard are not that effective when used in real competitions or during the rolling session.
    What do you guys think about it?
    I'm not here to critisize about the technique or anything.
    I'm just here to seek everybody's opinion and find ways to improve my way of training.
    So if you have any opinions, please feel free to comment on it!!!

Array

School
    FLMAC/10th planet Ronin
    In my opinion is all about timing and practice, Practice

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    Jasonic: this video is of my 10 year old daughter using the lockdown after only an hour of practice at home before we went to the gym. As you can see her sparring partner is much bigger than her and she always have trouble with him passing her guard, but this night after we put in an hour of practice before going to the gym....he was having problem breaking her guard. And she even tried the electric chair on him. Of course we need more work on it, but its a great start. Practice it my friend, and use it. If a 10 year old girl can do it, you can do it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8MKfy1-iC0

W/ higher level people training w/ the gi i find it harder because when they flatten you out the they can smash you and grip onto you so when you try to whip up its sort of blocked. You should still be able to hit it, but if someone sees it coming and can balance their weight correctly it could be a little more difficult. Thats just my opinion from what I have personaly encountered.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    The lockdown is my go-to man. If a guy is really good i usually try lockdown first.the clinch from there just shuts most people down. Plus you have sooooo much control with the lockdown in. Its not the only thing i do in half guard, but if its a tough or serious roll im going there for sure.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    At my new gym I can't do shit from lockdown. But then I saw another guy killing with it. I realized that it was me and not the lockdown. I was just letting dudes settle too much with their smashing and then not aggressively attacking with the lockdown. I totally stalled out on an old school sweep today, and then getting paranoid about letting go of the lockdown to go to dogfight.

more reps

Array

School
    Miami WMB(Alliance Miami)
    lockdown is a must know.....i was caught in a guilotine when i had lockdown and the only reason i escaped is because of the lockdown whip up. lockdown is the only halfguard i use anymore(unless im desperate to save position)

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I think you're not doing it right. Eddie hits electric chairs on black belts. Louis Ho hits electric chairs in competition. So do a number of us. The lockdown is VERY effective if done right. The whip up and fat whip are supper effective if done right.

The key word is, "if done right." I remember trying to do whip up from observation. I couldn't. Then I learned it the right way from coach Herzog, and suddenly it became easy and effective.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by CTGRXB View Post
    W/ higher level people training w/ the gi i find it harder because when they flatten you out the they can smash you and grip onto you so when you try to whip up its sort of blocked. You should still be able to hit it, but if someone sees it coming and can balance their weight correctly it could be a little more difficult. Thats just my opinion from what I have personaly encountered.
    That would be a time to go stomp to coccoon, don't you think? The lockdown is effective.

I'll list what's great about lockdown in order. (In my opinion)

1. It's an easy way to prevent your guard from getting passed.
    2. It's a great way to go from flat on your back up to your side
    3. It provides entry to a number of subs, sweeps, and transitions
    4. A lot of guys still aren't familiar with it, so you still have the element of surprise
    5. There are a lot of myths in how to defeat the lockdown so you still have the element of surprise
    6. Electric chairs are the bomb son!

I'm telling you OP, if you know what you're doing with it, it's good money.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    He said he he's been training for 9 months and got his blue not long ago.im going to go out on a limb and say he got his blue too early and he isn't doing lockdown right. I hit lockdown whip up all the time on bigger guys. People can say its not effective but if u rep it long enough you'll be good at it. Same thing when people bash rubber guard , they say it doesn't work but they also haven't put enough reps into it to make it a good technique.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast