Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg

Introduction - New to Jiu Jitsu

Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself to the 10p forum.

Growing up I've always been a huge Bruce Lee fan. After seeing his movies, I've wanted to learn a martial art but I've never been too sure where to start. About a year ago after listening to Eddie on the JRE podcast, it seems like jiu jitsu would be a great martial art to learn.

I'm a complete beginner with no experience in martial arts. About a month ago I found out that there is now a 10th Planet in Winnipeg, Canada. I joined classes immediately. It's been very fun but also very challenging. I'm really looking forward to keep on trying and progressing in jiu jitsu. It's been an awesome experience so far.

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ,Glasgow
    Welcome dude

Array

School
    Best Way Jiu Jitsu
    Welcome to the world of jiu-jitsu. Here's a couple of tips for you to follow along the way:

- If you're familiar with any crazy YouTube videos showing moves, don't try them in class. Listen to your instructor and train what you're taught. It's not about pulling off flying armbars the first day (not saying you're that type of person, but it's just an observation).

- You WILL get frustrated at more than one time, but don't give up. If you truly love jiu-jitsu, you'll understand that your frustrations will go away with time as you learn to go with the flow. People are better than you, and some of them always will be, but you have to tell yourself that every beating you take on the mat is worth it to understand why.

- Injuries happen. Sometimes they're minor, other times they're major, but like every other sport in the world, it's just the way she goes. Every sport in the world has a risk of injury, and BJJ is no exception considering it's a contact sport. Understanding techniques before you go full throttle is necessary to perform at your peak and avoid injuries by simply going all out with less understanding.

- Your body will bruise in places it hasn't before, you'll hurt from drilling moves over and over, and there's going to be times where you ache quite often and may not know why. That's why it's important to tap early and tap often!

- Enjoy it! Everyone who trains BJJ on a regular basis does it for one reason or another, but all of them truly love the art itself. Whether you want to condition yourself better, get in shape, learn it for self defense, compete at a high level or even be a professional fighter, just ENJOY THE RIDE!

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Welcome. You'll get your ass beat ALOT. Stay positive and set small goals for yourself. Small goals maybe meaning you replaced guard on someone who continually beats you or you swept someone, that kinda thing. Good luck !

Array

School
    10th Planet Glasgow
    Welcome. Don't be afraid to tap at training dude. Everyone there is here to help I'm sure you will continue to love jiu jitsu.

I'm sure Keith Owen says that the road to a black belt is filled with 10000 taps.

Sam Sales

welcome

Array

School
    Marcos Nardini BJJ
    Welcome Evan

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Right on Evan. Good choice. Good luck. Stick with it, you will love it man.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Welcome!
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    Yo, see you at class Wednesday Evan!

You learn fast and I enjoy having you in class