Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lost View Post
    I'm sure if you were never lead down the path to trying weed you would never have become addicted to meth.

Eddie, I'm just curious what drugs you've tried.
    This is a marijuana myth that has already been exposed by many scientific research studies. There is a well know book called "Marijuana Myths Marijuana Facts: A Review Of The Scientific Evidence" you can find here.

Strangely enough we are using that text for the basis of our next segment of This Week in Weed, which can be seen in the next episode of "Mastering The System."

The purpose of the segment will be to examine and dispute some well known marijuana myths and facts, like the one you listed here.

Since I don't know if you are a paying member of this site, I'll help you out a little bit.

Here is what the book "Marijuana Myths Marijuana Facts: A Review Of The Scientific Evidence" has to say about your assumption.

"MARIJUANA DOES NOT CAUSE PEOPLE TO USE HARD DRUGS. What the gateway theory presents as a casual explanation is a statistical association between common and uncommon drugs, an association that changes over time as different drugs increase and decrease in prevalence. Marijuana is the most popular illegal drug in the United States today. Therefore, people who have used less popular drugs, such as heroin, cocaine, and LSD, are likely to have also used marijuana. Most marijuana users never use any other illegal drug. Indeed, for the large majority of people, marijuana is a terminus rather than a gateway drug" (Zimmer and Morgan 32).

Of course they base this statement on obscene amounts of data, citing all of the resources. Just to show you how much data they use, the resources list is 68 pages long, while of course your post on marijuana being a gateway drug is based on...well...opinion.

That's cool though man. It seems like most policies in America (including our drug policies) are based on conjecture instead of data, so you're not alone.

Array

School
    Anywhere.
    It definitely did for my best friend. He did just about everything. I helped him out, he quit everything BUT weed.
    Like I said before, you have to be mature about that shit. If you're childish and just love getting high, fuck yeah you'll be looking for an even better high. But if you're mature and know to stay away from hard shit you'll be fine. Fact is just cause you didn't start doing other drugs cause of pot use doesn't mean someone else won't.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffRace727 View Post
    Fact is just cause you didn't start doing other drugs cause of pot use doesn't mean someone else won't.
    Actually that is exactly what it means.

Understand that you are not arguing your point with me, or anyone else on this thread for that matter. You are in fact arguing your point, which appears to be based on your one friend's personal experience, with scientific research and data.

First of all, the desire to experience an alternate state of consciousness has nothing to do with being either "mature" or "immature."

Here is an excerpt from Dr. Andrew Weil's book The Natural Mind.

Why People Take Drugs

"The use of drugs to alter consciousness is nothing new. It has been a feature of human life in all places on the earth and in all ages of history. In fact, to my knowledge the only people lacking a traditional intoxicant are the Eskimos, who had the misfortune to be unable to grow anything and had to wait for white men to bring them alcohol.

The ubiquity of drug use is so striking that it must represent a basic human appetite. Yet many Americans seem to feel that the contemporary drug scene is something new, something qualitatively different from what has gone on before. That attitude is peculiar because all that is really happening is a change of drug preference. Evidence that this is precisely the case is abundant , and it provides another example of how emotional biases lead us to formulate unhelpful conceptions.

It is my belief that the desire to alter consciousness periodically is an innate, normal drive analogous to hunger or the sexual drive." (Weil 17-19)

Also, a person having an addictive personality has nothing to do with trying weed and then moving on to what we would call "stronger" or "harder" drugs. It is completely irrelevant, although it is easy to trick people into thinking that it is related, which is why we have a failed drug policy in the United States. The data is out there and so is the information, so don't take my word for it, instead go read some published scientific texts on the subject and you will have something tangible to base your posts on.

Array

School
    10th Planet & Nova Uniao
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Eisner View Post
    This is a marijuana myth that has already been exposed by many scientific research studies. There is a well know book called "Marijuana Myths Marijuana Facts: A Review Of The Scientific Evidence" you can find here.

Strangely enough we are using that text for the basis of our next segment of This Week in Weed, which can be seen in the next episode of "Mastering The System."

The purpose of the segment will be to examine and dispute some well known marijuana myths and facts, like the one you listed here.

Since I don't know if you are a paying member of this site, I'll help you out a little bit.

Here is what the book "Marijuana Myths Marijuana Facts: A Review Of The Scientific Evidence" has to say about your assumption.

"MARIJUANA DOES NOT CAUSE PEOPLE TO USE HARD DRUGS. What the gateway theory presents as a casual explanation is a statistical association between common and uncommon drugs, an association that changes over time as different drugs increase and decrease in prevalence. Marijuana is the most popular illegal drug in the United States today. Therefore, people who have used less popular drugs, such as heroin, cocaine, and LSD, are likely to have also used marijuana. Most marijuana users never use any other illegal drug. Indeed, for the large majority of people, marijuana is a terminus rather than a gateway drug" (Zimmer and Morgan 32).

Of course they base this statement on obscene amounts of data, citing all of the resources. Just to show you how much data they use, the resources list is 68 pages long, while of course your post on marijuana being a gateway drug is based on...well...opinion.

That's cool though man. It seems like most policies in America (including our drug policies) are based on conjecture instead of data, so you're not alone.
    ttt for Truth!!

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    It's like an Atheist and a Gentile arguing the existence/nonexistence of God. In the end, who gives a fuck?

Quote Originally Posted by MWTheory View Post
    It's like an Atheist and a Gentile arguing the existence/nonexistence of God. In the end, who gives a fuck?
    An Atheist and a Gentile? That reference makes little sense. And those of us who want a drug policy grounded in science, compassion, health and human rights give a fuck.

Array

School
    10th Planet Dawsonville Hotbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Eisner View Post
    An Atheist and a Gentile? That reference makes little sense. And those of us who want a drug policy grounded in science, compassion, health and human rights give a fuck.
    Right on Jason, you rock.

Array

School
    Fi-G Muay Thai/Honeybadger MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Keeling View Post
    Wow, psychic eh? I have known plenty of Meth and Cocaine addicts that have never smoked marijuana. I would say Alcohol would be your "gateway" drug since it is easily available and severely impacts your ability to make rational decisions. You're either trolling or plain ignorant. With the availability today to obtain knowledge (Internet) it is ones own decision to remain ignorant (just means that you haven't been shown the facts) I don't drink alcohol, because of how it impairs me... Get it???
    +1

Array

School
    Fi-G Muay Thai/Honeybadger MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by lost View Post
    Ignorant? What percentage of addicts do you think used weed prior to becoming an addict, 90% maybe? And I'm not saying weed makes you doing anything, I'm just stating that most addicts used alcohol, nicotine, and weed prior to becoming addicts.
    And caffeine! Dont forget that mind altering stimulant. I bet even more than 90% of people used that! Have you considered maybe caffeine is the true evil?

And sugar. Ever seen an eight year old after a bottle of fanta? BAN SUGAR!

Array

School
    lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Elliott View Post
    And caffeine! Dont forget that mind altering stimulant. I bet even more than 90% of people used that! Have you considered maybe caffeine is the true evil?

And sugar. Ever seen an eight year old after a bottle of fanta? BAN SUGAR!
    All baby steps to becoming a heroin addict, why encourage taking the first step.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast