Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    This is a really interesting discussion with logical and compelling arguments on both sides.

FRAT to follow:

It seems like as time goes on the definition of "BJJ BB" is breaking down in two ways: 1) the definition of a BB is changing, and 2) the definition of BJJ is changing.

"Black Belt" Definition Drift:
    Back when I started in 2001 or 2002, my idea of a BJJ BB was pretty awe inspiring. In my mind at that time, a BJJ BB was a guy who could roll through almost anyone gi or no-gi. There was also a strong connection in my mind between a BJJ BB and vale tudo/MMA prowess.

Fast forward a dozen years and now when I hear that someone is a BJJ BB the next question I hear is always "But, how good are they." Some of them suck now. Some of them suck in no-gi and some suck in both no-gi and gi. Some have done VERY little no-gi. A lot of guys are getting to BB for simply accruing enough years. The role of a guys ability to "kick ass on the ground" is diminishing and the role of "time in" is becoming more important. Along with this "time in" thing, it seems like there is also a greater emphasis on "(new) BJJ culture" like use of OSS, bowing, more Portuguese terms, more Japanese terms, paying fees to get your BB and your gym "recognized" by a central organization, BJJ exercises that basically approach kata (see Nic Gregoriades), lineage, affiliation with a large Brazilian run gym, formal belt promotion tests, belt promotion gauntlets, and photos of dead guys on the wall. There is also a much more tenuous connection between BJJ prowess and vale tudo/MMA prowess these days. The connection between wrestling prowess and MMA prowess is comparatively much stronger.

"BJJ" Definition Drift:
    Back in 2001 or 2002, I remember hearing people accusing non-BJJ ground fighters of "doing BJJ" or "borrowing from BJJ" regardless of what their background was. SAMBO, Judo, and catch guys doing anything good on the ground that wasn't a twisting leg lock might all be told that they were really doing BJJ and just re-labeling it as a part of their respective discipline (See Royce's comments about Matt Hughes beating him with GJJ/BJJ).

Now in 2014, I see a ton of guys trying to say it's only "BJJ" if you are training in the gi at least some of the time. There is also a new emphasis on lineage. Fair enough. But, before, the trend was for BJJ guys to argue that most of everything that worked on the ground was BJJ and now the trend is for BJJ guys to argue that techniques are not BJJ because of how they are practiced, attire worn, and etc.

The Effect of Both Drifts Together:
    The BB definition drift is probably inescapable since the greater the number of people involved in enforcing a standard, the more deviation you are going to see in a standard. The BJJ definition drift is actually a choice by the BJJ community. They could have chosen to embrace 100% no-gi training as an equally valid specialization under the BJJ umbrella. Instead, a large number of BJJ guys are choosing to shun 100% no-gi as being "not BJJ".

My opinion is that this movement away from a higher performance based standard for the "BJJ BB" (by many, but not all) along with the movement towards exclusion of 100% no-gi from "BJJ" (by many, but not all) is leading BJJ down a slippery slope that has a much more TMA/LARP flavor to it than the grappling discipline I encountered in 2001-2002. Sure, there are still the hardcore competitors and hardcore competition gyms, but there are an increasing number of guys just clothing themselves in BJJ culture to compensate for the actual level of their ground grappling skills.

The BJJ definition drift towards strict gi-only conceptions further divorces BJJ from actual performance of ground grappling since it reduces the number of guys who can walk in off the street and mount a reasonable challenge to BJJ guys. There are a lot of ex-high school and college wrestlers in North America. Straight out of wrestling, those guys are a much bigger threat in no-gi than they are in the gi. So, by removing no-gi from the definition of BJJ, they are making it less likely that a wrestler or other no-gi guy can come in off the street and humiliate them in BJJ.

I fully expect that this trend will continue and eventually BJJ will be an even more niche gi-centric sport with the same relation to no-gi and MMA that Tae Kwon Do has to kickboxing and MMA (many would argue we are already there).

A Possible Solution:
    I feel like ditching the belt paradigm in both gi and no-gi would be a great way to reverse a lot of this.

Focusing on actual performance and not belts has worked for folkstyle/freestyle/greco-roman wrestling, boxing, and muay thai for a long time with no problems. They are all taught and practiced at a very high level today. They also have all retained very high applicability to combat/vale tudo/MMA.

Focus on belts is a common thread in a lot of the TMA LARPapalooza that we see today.

Judo could be cited as an exception here. But, it seems like the balance between belt and competition focus there is skewed toward competition anyway.

This doesn't even address the benefits that ditching belts has toward reducing drama over who is getting promoted when, sandbagging, different schools recognizing belts, and etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Herrera View Post
    But you don't need a seperate license to drive a manual or automatic, and what about the other way around? For someone who has only ever trained in the gi don't we honor their belt when they visit a 10th Planet School even tho they're not well versed in the system?

We don't honor their black belt. We say they are a bjj bb and not a 10th planet one.

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by brent_littell View Post
    We don't honor their black belt. We say they are a bjj bb and not a 10th planet one.
    True
    No Jiu Jitsu, No Life
    Know Jiu Jitsu, Know Life

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ (SousaBJJ.com)
    Awesome response

I see it like driving an automatic vs manual.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    Lots of proprietary-minded Gracie schools do this, too. He has a BJJ black belt, not a Gracie jiu-jitsu black belt. I'm hearing more and more people from that camp say that Brazilian jiu-jitsu IS NOT Gracie jiu-jitsu. Which is fine by me because I'll roll with anyone, travel anywhere, and host anyone. Whatever you want to wear is cool. I'll honor your rank, and I hope you all honor my rank when I visit because the skills don't disappear when I step on a different mat.

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks San Diego
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiseop View Post
    Lots of proprietary-minded Gracie schools do this, too. He has a BJJ black belt, not a Gracie jiu-jitsu black belt. I'm hearing more and more people from that camp say that Brazilian jiu-jitsu IS NOT Gracie jiu-jitsu. Which is fine by me because I'll roll with anyone, travel anywhere, and host anyone. Whatever you want to wear is cool. I'll honor your rank, and I hope you all honor my rank when I visit because the skills don't disappear when I step on a different mat.
    Great points. Gracie Academy doesn't follow IBJJF belts and now with Rickson's new JJGF, who knows how that's gonna go with belt promotions, etc. And really doesn't every school just really promote the way they want to?

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ / Salt Lake Grappling Club
    This is a very interesting discussion, especially when I consider how it applies to myself. I have a brown belt under Eddie, but I have never even once rolled in a gi. I have been considering putting on the gi simply to do something new and interesting to keep my game fresh. Clearly I will be crushed by at least purple belts if not also blue belts. On the other hand, wouldn't it be a bit disingenuous for me to don a white belt? Certainly I lack any sort of understanding of gi grips; I am completely mystified when watching high-level gi matches (e.g., Rafa Mendes v. Clark Gracie). I'm sure I'll easily succumb to simple chokes and sweeps.

What do you guys think? Should I wear a white belt and smash people, or should I wear a brown belt and embarrass 10th Planet?

Array

School
    Cody MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir Allam View Post
    This is a very interesting discussion, especially when I consider how it applies to myself. I have a brown belt under Eddie, but I have never even once rolled in a gi. I have been considering putting on the gi simply to do something new and interesting to keep my game fresh. Clearly I will be crushed by at least purple belts if not also blue belts. On the other hand, wouldn't it be a bit disingenuous for me to don a white belt? Certainly I lack any sort of understanding of gi grips; I am completely mystified when watching high-level gi matches (e.g., Rafa Mendes v. Clark Gracie). I'm sure I'll easily succumb to simple chokes and sweeps.

What do you guys think? Should I wear a white belt and smash people, or should I wear a brown belt and embarrass 10th Planet?
    I say wear the White and smash. If you enroll at a school let the instructor worry about your rank. I feel like it is similar to if a Olympic wrestler walked into a school. I would also love to find out if whites, blues and purples are able to tap you if you decide to wear the gi

Quote Originally Posted by Amir Allam View Post

You'll be fine. I was immediately competitive at and above my rank when I first threw on the gi. A solid base is a solid base. I couldn't explain what half the gi chokes are but beyond getting caught by surprise a couple of times I know how to protect my neck, and my attacks work regardless. Passing the open guard still eludes me though. I just threw a bunch of 10p patches on my gi by way of disclaimer and wore my 10p rank.

My opinion.

Belting requirements and regulations aren't really standardized across all bjj, I left it up to my gi coach what I should wear and I think that is the best bet. I started training in the gi about a month before Denny promoted me to purple. Daniel Gracie (gi instructor) immediately had given me three stripes and kept me there until I learned how to start breaking grips. A few months later he also gave me my purple. Offensively I still know less gi specific attacks then most of the white belts, but I can defend the gi moves and transition to where I am comfortable. He won't be asking me to cover a gi class anytime soon even if I happened to be the highest rank there, but according to his standards my ability to teach a breadcutter isn't imperative. My ability not to get caught in it is. Only the instructor will know what their standard is. Don't expect to keep the same rank, don't get butt hurt if they move you down, don't be surprised if they keep you at whatever you came in with.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011