Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Phoenix and Fabio Santos BJJ (Team Monstro)

got a tap from grapevine

i rolled with this instructor sorta today and used the hog tie to get him into the grapevine he tapped and i got scolded cause it was supposedly a leg lock?

this ever happen to any1

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Jacksonville
    lol i'd say "to my understanding, we never established any limitations." think his pride may of been hurt lol

Array

School
    yeah its a traditional school and im still a white belt so its illegal for me i guess idk

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Jacksonville
    ya, (correct me if im wrong guys) but traditional JJ/BJJ scholls will only allow brown and black belts to go for certain subs below the waist. white belt is rrstricted to above the belt only.

i thought it was weird too, i mean i know how to do knee and ankle locks, calf slicers and what not. but i guess the idea/theory is since white belts are still learning, they need to learn proper control during below the belt subs since theres gigher risk of severely injuring someone and their life temporarily by crippling them for a short timem cause some people go full strength right away even when sparring. i secure the position and gradually increase pressure since everyones range of motion is different.

Array

School
    Ronin
    It should go without saying that any brown or black belt should be able to defend against a leg lock. I saw a similar situation where I used to train. A new guy was rolling with a brown belt. The brown belt got caught in a leg lock by the new guy. The brown belt tapped and explained to the new guy that for "safety" reasons, only brown and black belts are allowed to apply leg locks to other brown and black belts. The new guy apologized and explained that he didn't know. The brown belt sad, " No worries. I figured as much." They slapped hands and continued with their roll. And that was that.

Isn't the straight ankle lock allowed for white belts?
    For blues there's also at least the knee bar. You're never allowed to "reap the knee" tho. But with the grapevine that's not the case.

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    Matthias, according to the iBJJF rules, you can't do a straight ankle lock until Purple Belt. MAD.

According to Hillary Williams, the straight ankle lock is allowed from white belt and up. It's up to the referee to allow it though, some will and some won't.

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Phoenix
    @ acherbo - Keep doing your thing

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by john botello View Post
    @ acherbo - Keep doing your thing
    thanks man i did it perfectly i just needed to roll and get the back like we were talking about

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast