Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    Sergio Penha
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanboor View Post
    There isn't a moon in Elmira (sigh), but 5th Rd Fitness is a small MMA gym run by John Franchi (who fought briefly in the WEC) and Pat Audinwood (who fought briefly in the UFC) They have ties to Ultimate Athletics/ Team Bombsquad (not the west coast Eddie Bravo version)/ CNY MMA....all central NY based teams. Elmira, Binghamton, Cortland, Ithaca, Syracuse. Im the lone 10P dude in my gym but I do everything I can to rep the system!
    Cool. If you ever make it to Buffalo check out WNY MMA, it's an alliance academy. Two of my best friends train/teach there. If Rosco is around he has a sick RG. When he lived with me in Vegas I saw him use it rolling with Fredson Paxaio. Fredson basically resorted to try and slam him to pass it. Rosco is one of the most technical people I've got to train with.

Array

School
    Trials MMA
    Awesome good to know!

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenMatRadio View Post
    Rick thanks for the everything! Will be getting that to Adisa later today. If you're able to make the KO FInisher in Anaheim Adisa is also having a speed chess tournament. Rza is going to defend his title there! So Wutang, Kurt Osiander and Adisa? How do you not make it out for that?

Ryanboor, thanks man, I really appreciate the kind words. What is 5th Rd Fitness? I was born and raised in Buffalo and still have ties to WNY. I didn't realize there was a moon in Elmira. I know there's a great one in Rochester.
    So Awesome! I look forward to this. RZA on chess! Sounds amazing!!! Thanks for the heads up.

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    Good thread. Look up the Hip Hop Chess Federation... It combines martial arts, hip hop, and chess. Also, anyone who would like to get some games in, I'm down. Download the "Chess Time" app on android or iphone and send me a game. Same username - "Solicit"

Array

School
    Sergio Penha
    Quote Originally Posted by Solicit View Post
    Good thread. Look up the Hip Hop Chess Federation... It combines martial arts, hip hop, and chess. Also, anyone who would like to get some games in, I'm down. Download the "Chess Time" app on android or iphone and send me a game. Same username - "Solicit"
    I'll be interviewing Adisa this weekend on my podcast with Nic G., if you've got any questions let me know. Email or facebook work best. Paul at openmatradio dot com or http://www.facebook.com/openmatradio

Here is the interview I did with him on OpenMatRadio
    http://www.openmatradio.com/2013/11/...adisa-banjoko/

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    I'll be interviewing Adisa this weekend on my podcast with Nic G., if you've got any questions let me know. Email or facebook work best. Paul at openmatradio dot com or http://www.facebook.com/openmatradio

Thanks Paul! I would love to know whether or not he trains jiu jitsu or any other martial art. Take care.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    I got into chess pretty early in life and I still play every now and then. I won a couple of tournaments back when I was in high school but nothing intense as a typical tourny you'd see from legit regular players. I'm still very green to bjj but I can definitely see similarities. Responding to setups and frames while being able to think of future moves is a huge tool in both of these games.

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks

Dope! I will check it out. I would really like to find out more about getting invloved with HHCF. We need local clubs or spots that run tournaments. I book a lot of hip hop shows in San Diego and would love to help out somehow to get HHCF more active in SD.

Array

School
    Cody MMA
    The troll is strong in this one but I can't resist......

Quote Originally Posted by Black Grandmaster View Post
    Chess is a universe more complex than jiujitsu. In fact, there are more possible chess positions than there are atoms in the known universe. This is not an exaggeration. And it is not just about calculation, but also deep strategic knowledge and skill. It involves great imagination and creativity as well as memory...... The names of every maneuver in jiujitsu wouldn't even half complete the names of a single opening variation in chess. And within each opening variation there are countless sub-variations, and even secondary and tertiary sub-variations, such as in the example of a king pawn opening known as the French Defense, Classical System, McCutcheon, Janowski Variation....".

WRONG! The moves and combinations in a chess game are limited to the board and rule set (a massive number no doubt) but possible jiu jitsu positions are only limited by the participants physical abilities.

Array

School
    DMMA Dundee Scotland
    There is still a finite amount of positions in both. The amounts of positions are huge but it's not infinite.
    I love chess, played it a long time. There is certainly a huge cross over in many respects.

There is only so many places your limbs can be. If you were to assign points to lots of places on your body and
    then map it out in a 3-dimensional grid you could think of moving your limbs like moves in chess.
    There is not infinite combinations of where your limbs are.

Also similar to chess there will be many positions where there is essentially no difference even though
    there could exist thousands of slightly different versions. Eg - King and Rook v Rook, you could place
    these three pieces on the board many ways but the eventual outcome for almost all these positions will
    be checkmate. No real difference. Same kind of thing where you might hold a side control with your leg one
    inch to the left etc, different coordinates but essentially the same position, unless of course this extra
    inch has made some other move available that wasn't before etc.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast