Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07

Drum Triggers Explained

Have you ever wondered how drummers like Joey Jordison from Slipknot can get so many BPM's in on the bass drum when he's playing ? I have so... I looked it up on Youtube and this is what I learned so far.

Array

School
    And this dude plays double bass with double pedals on each drum. Silly !

Array

School
    This is super corny but watch the drummer... hilarious.

Array

School
    Moonhead 10th Planet Bergen
    As a former proffesional drummer myself, i can say the reason Joey gets that bpm going is not the trigging, hes just fast, but not really the fastest or tightest.. i played nearly as fast as Joey when i was activ with just a double kickpedal.. all it takes is reps, like jitz!!

Check out this guy, Derek Roddy. I respect his skills and all that, but im really not in to the hole fastest drummer thing.. it seems every blastbeat drummer lacks power because of the insane speed. I much more prefer drummers like Thomas Haake from Meshuggah and Danny Carey of Tool. Both insanely skilled but with great power also.

Array

School
    Ever heard the song Bleed by Meshuggah? The crazy thing is they play just as tight live... just an awesome dark machinery of technical mastery...

Array

School
    And btw.. their last album, Koloss is heavy as fuck!! This is where you truly can beat your drumkit to death if you wanted, the speed thing is nearly with no power, thats why they use triggers to get the sound out in an even response to the PA.. since its the drum module making the sound and not the drumshell in it self, see?

Array

School
    St. Louis Area Ronin
    Haake and Danny Carey own.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Frode Nilsen View Post
    As a former proffesional drummer myself, i can say the reason Joey gets that bpm going is not the trigging, hes just fast, but not really the fastest or tightest.. i played nearly as fast as Joey when i was activ with just a double kickpedal.. all it takes is reps, like jitz!!

Check out this guy, Derek Roddy. I respect his skills and all that, but im really not in to the hole fastest drummer thing.. it seems every blastbeat drummer lacks power because of the insane speed. I much more prefer drummers like Thomas Haake from Meshuggah and Danny Carey of Tool. Both insanely skilled but with great power also.

That's impressive but I agree with you. When it's all speed then it's not musical and if it's not musical then what's the point.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mallory View Post
    That's impressive but I agree with you. When it's all speed then it's not musical and if it's not musical then what's the point.
    Right on! although some deathmetal bands pull it off, its not my cup of tea... a buddy of mine ive played with before is now playing with Dimmu Borgir, they did a liveshow in colaboration with a symphony orchestra and a gothic choir here at the biggest venue in norway, Oslo Spectrum. That show was fucking amazing even thoug the blastbeats where flying, hehe...so it can be highly musical as well, even with trigging and all that..

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack Elwood View Post
    Haake and Danny Carey own.
    yes, two of my all time heros when it comes to drumming!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast