Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    cobra kai

Mounted triangle

Do you roll over and give up position or do you stay mounted and try to finish from top?

I haven't been able to finish from top unless I attack the arm, what are some ways to tighten the mounted triangle without rolling over?

Array

School
    Formerly 10P Spokane
    Turn your body to the side, facing the same direction his trapped arm is pointing. Post out on the mat with both of your hands and sink your hips low into the choke. A tight squeeze and curl with your legs will get the tap really quick. Never give up the top. A well secured mounted triangle is probably one of the most dominant positions in the game. Almost a sure tap.

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Kelso View Post
    Turn your body to the side, facing the same direction his trapped arm is pointing. Post out on the mat with both of your hands and sink your hips low into the choke. A tight squeeze and curl with your legs will get the tap really quick. Never give up the top. A well secured mounted triangle is probably one of the most dominant positions in the game. Almost a sure tap.
    I recently got a hold of a video that Ryan Hall teaches concerning this matter and he basically says what you just said... NEVER give up the top position.

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    I prefer to keep top position at all times in every situation. That being said if the triangle is locked up on top I have no issues going to bottom for the finish if he is going to fight to turn me over. My primary concern is locking up the triangle tight while on top...after that its pretty much pick your poison. A big part of jitz is knowing where and when to use your energy\strength. Everyone has a certain amount in the tank. Im gonna save it for the squeeze and the proper angle (see ryan hall video for this)vs. fighting to stay on top when its already locked in tight.

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    Quote Originally Posted by VJ Bella View Post
    I prefer to keep top position at all times in every situation. That being said if the triangle is locked up on top I have no issues going to bottom for the finish if he is going to fight to turn me over. My primary concern is locking up the triangle tight while on top...after that its pretty much pick your poison. A big part of jitz is knowing where and when to use your energy\strength. Everyone has a certain amount in the tank. Im gonna save it for the squeeze and the proper angle (see ryan hall video for this)vs. fighting to stay on top when its already locked in tight.
    I agree. Make sure it's tight and if it is there really is no worry either way

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    My preference is to stay on top.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Quote Originally Posted by ml82 View Post
    Do you roll over and give up position or do you stay mounted and try to finish from top?

I haven't been able to finish from top unless I attack the arm, what are some ways to tighten the mounted triangle without rolling over?
    It all depends on a number of things... 1) being the situation, If you are in a BJJ match and if your down with 10 seconds left, and your better at finishing from the bottom, definately go to the bottom. If your in an MMA fight, NEVER give up top position!! If you cant finish the Triangle from the top, their open to BRUTAL ground n pound! 2) As for finishing the mounted Triangle, shift your body weight to the opposite side of the triangled arm and Lock it up TIGHT.. once its locked in use your hips (by turning into the arm going across their neck, and finishing the choke like you would on bottom.

Also can I ask if your are fully locking it up all the way?? Because if you are, its should be relatively easy to finish

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I have a good triangle so I don't mind rolling and giving up position. If you're not confident in your triangle I wouldn't roll

Array

School
    Morning Star Jiu Jitsu - Denver
    I never bother trying to finish the triangle from mount. If I'm there I'll always attack the arms. It takes less energy than trying to squeeze a triangle with your own body weight on top of your legs.
    Tim Gillette | Owner/Instructor
    Morning Star Jiu Jitsu - Denver
    www.MorningStarJJ.com
    info@MorningStarJJ.com
    720-917-4014

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    i like to follow the same rules as a bottom triangle generally. make sure you ahve it locked up properly, ie foot is sticking completly out, make sure youre holding the shin with one hand, (difference from bottom here being that you should be prepared to either base or roll from here. i prefer holding on to it and basing with elbow if i need to. and then for me ill just go for a bit of a ride. i prefer a slow squeeze getting gradually tighter rather than an explosive squeeze. in saying that ill go slowly and generally count up to 7 or 10 and then explode.

other thing worth mentioning is if you want to get back on top after being rolled, then work on timing it to use their momentum against them and throw them either back into being mounted or atleast on their side.

thats my ten cents at least

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast