Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wancarlos View Post
    When I need health and wellness advice I go to this grappling website... haha

It works well for me, but I've only done it twice (coconut oil), so I'm no expert. Time literally flies by, and you'd be surprised at how clean your mouth feels after.
    Seriously? Ok. I'll try it.

Array

School
    Formerly 10P Spokane
    Sure, I do it too. Oil pulling is effective at significantly decreasing your levels of negative oral bacteria, specifically Candida and Streptococcus mutans (the principle bacteria responsible for tooth decay). It also helps to remove plaque and other oral debris.

Here are the results of a study which compared oil pulling with the use of standard chlorhexidine-based mouthwash in regards to S. mutans elimination:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18408265

Another study shows the effectiveness against gingivitis:

http://www.johcd.org/pdf/Effect_of_O...Gingivitis.pdf

Yet another study sheds light on the emulsification process responsible for oil pulling's effectiveness in eliminating oral debris:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21525674

--So, if you're considering it, you'll find it to be a pleasant alternative to store bought mouthwash. Chlorhexidine is known to stain and discolor teeth and tongues. Some studies have also shown that it increases deposits of plaque.

And if you're going to have coconut oil sitting around anyway, you might as well eat a few tablespoons a day while you're at it.

Also, if you brush your teeth, a coconut oil/baking soda mixture is a great alternative to the poison you squeeze out of your standard tube of toothpaste. Personally though, I don't brush my teeth and never have. Number one, it destroys your enamel. Number two, it's all a part of a gigantic propaganda machine intent on poisoning and robbing you. I do floss however (non-fluoridated floss of course), and I've never had a cavity.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    ^ayo wtf? How do you keep your teeth clean if you don't brush your teeth?

Array

School
    10th Planet Costa Mesa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Kelso View Post
    Also, if you brush your teeth, a coconut oil/baking soda mixture is a great alternative to the poison you squeeze out of your standard tube of toothpaste. Personally though, I don't brush my teeth and never have. Number one, it destroys your enamel. Number two, it's all a part of a gigantic propaganda machine intent on poisoning and robbing you. I do floss however (non-fluoridated floss of course), and I've never had a cavity.
    Wait, seriously?

I've heard all the stuff about fluoride (usually in the context of how it's added to municipal water supplies) but this is new to me. I've always thought aluminum oxide as a polishing compound was ridiculously overkill in toothpaste. I'm actually reading some stuff about commercial toothpaste as I write this, and you're starting to sound significantly less crazy.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Kelso View Post
    Sure, I do it too. Oil pulling is effective at significantly decreasing your levels of negative oral bacteria, specifically Candida and Streptococcus mutans (the principle bacteria responsible for tooth decay). It also helps to remove plaque and other oral debris.

Here are the results of a study which compared oil pulling with the use of standard chlorhexidine-based mouthwash in regards to S. mutans elimination:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18408265

Another study shows the effectiveness against gingivitis:

http://www.johcd.org/pdf/Effect_of_O...Gingivitis.pdf

Yet another study sheds light on the emulsification process responsible for oil pulling's effectiveness in eliminating oral debris:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21525674

--So, if you're considering it, you'll find it to be a pleasant alternative to store bought mouthwash. Chlorhexidine is known to stain and discolor teeth and tongues. Some studies have also shown that it increases deposits of plaque.

And if you're going to have coconut oil sitting around anyway, you might as well eat a few tablespoons a day while you're at it.

These studies have problems, not just my opinion. Sample size, experimental design (in vitro) ect. One study had only 10 replicates for the experimental treatments, thats laughable. Intro to biology projects have more replicates than that. Not sure if its a funding problem or if it is because they were done in India and the sciences are not strong there? Either way there is no statically significant evidence as of yet that oil pulling has any benefit. I have a hunch that it does in fact have some benefit and future studies that are better designed will show this (but it will be minor and less than a commercial mouthwash if used for 20 minutes). Also they used sunflower or sesame oil so there very well could be a difference.

Array

School
    10th Planet Bethlehem
    I feel like this is sketchy, but im gonna try it with olive oil like a true G. Also when you spit the oil out, do you then garggle mouth wash? i dont get it.

Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness
    Thought this thread was gonna be about some secret version of the oil check I often see wrestlers do. Oil pulling sounds a lot worse than oil checking

Array

School
    10th Planet Costa Mesa
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Marshall View Post
    Thought this thread was gonna be about some secret version of the oil check I often see wrestlers do. Oil pulling sounds a lot worse than oil checking
    I, too, assumed OP was asking if oil checking was a legit IBJJF-legal technique.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarett Smith View Post
    I, too, assumed OP was asking if oil checking was a legit IBJJF-legal technique.
    My firsts thought as well.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by George Katechis View Post
    I feel like this is sketchy, but im gonna try it with olive oil like a true G. Also when you spit the oil out, do you then garggle mouth wash? i dont get it.
    Traditionally you would rinse with saltwater. I thought it was slightly odd that the Indian researchers did not do this as part of the treatment.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast