Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: size strategy..

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur

size strategy..

So im a pretty small guy, about 135-140 at 6'0.. so naturally almost everyone i grapple has a size/strength advantage.. and ive become pretty used to it and feel comfortable rolling with guys bigger than me.. but there is one individual i just cant seem to ever beat. He's about 265 and 6'3.. I was wanting to know from any other smaller guys or educated practitioners what would be a good strategy against someone this much bigger. The best luck ive had has been from rubberguard and then using the kungfu move as he passes to go for the carni. I havent caught him yet though ive got close.. But i feel like after rolling with him hundreds of times, I should at least have 1 win under my belt. armbars are pretty much out of the question for me, along with most other arm attacks because of his strength.. so i was wondering if anyone had some tips for me so i can start giving him more of a challenge. I love rolling with him because i have to use technique to match his strength and i feel ive gotten MUCH better since sparring with him, but i wouldnt mind giving him more of a challenge or even catching him every once in awhile.

Array

School
    Rōnin
    something like this...

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    haha. i love that fight. Although i wouldnt say that akembo is known for his jiujitsu defense lol. The guy i roll with is pretty good in Grecko Roman style grappling. Im pretty confident that i have 0 chance against him.. but maybe its just the competitive side of me that refuses to quit until i beat him lol. there's got to be SOMETHING i can pull off. one day.. one day :P

Array

School
    Peter De Been Caroline Springs
    when i go against people that are big but also have massive strength to go with it, my only viable option is attack from mount. sometimes they will be too powerful to keep in jiu claw so il let them roll and go straight to a baby arm but if that doesnt work, mount. then monoplata is my favourite option. itll look like im going for a gogoplata so his neck will dissapear and il just triangle my legs and kimura his arm instead. theres also a mounted armbar variation that im having huge success with where i bring his arm across his body and get a foot behind his neck in s mount and then basically do an invisible croc, except from mount, with my head posting towards his legs and my elbow posted next to his free arm to keep it trapped. some moves will work no matter how big a guy is if you give them no options.. in mount

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    I was thinking Gogo/Monoplata might be my best options. Just because realistically i know i cant effectively sweep him (his strength + Grecko Roman style makes him REALLY good at staying on top), so I figured the only moves i can do from the bottom that compete with his strength are chokes. But i cant really get triangles on him. So im pretty limited lol. But i'll definitely try to work on some of my sweeps and try that from mount. Any suggestions on good sweeps to use against bigger stronger guys? From so far ive found I have some success with simply either letting him mount and rolling him, or finding my way to his back and then he rolls into me and i end up on top. But that position typically lasts about 5 seconds before he gets back on top. any other good ways to get on top of a bigger guy? (next time ill try that invisible croc from mount as quick as i can. )

Array

School
    Peter De Been Caroline Springs
    hip bump sweep is awsome because if youre going for rubber guard and breaking their posture chances are they will just stay upright to stop you and then you have a perfect opportunity to pull it off... i havnt been using them as much as i should be but im planning to after seeing and trying a head and arm control variation that suits me better. get good at hook sweeps to, they work on anyone as long as you dont give them any room. also, triangles are the same with other guard techniques. sometimes you cant finish big people with them.. unless you stay mounted on them. dont forget to angle off 90', even if your on top. it makes it sink in faster.
    and you dont need to go fast with that mounted armbar, its all about keeping control and staying low to them. you might see what i mean if you try it out

Array

School
    Anywhere.
    Just try using all the different types of control on him and learn some great moves to work off of that. Like use, double bagger, crackhead control, ect. ect. I've won against some guys that big using the invisible collar before.

Array

School
    Ronin
    Against someone much bigger than me, I try to stay as active as possible and take them to cardio hell. Then, I pray that I have better cardio than them. If, in fact, they have better cardio than me, then I take my ass whoopin like a man. If I know they have comparable cardio to me, I play a technical, slow, methodical, and defensive style (ie. boring) with intermittent bursts of power if I sense an opportunity. I try to take their will, either by tiring them out or by lulling them, before I attempt any legit moves (usually taking their back). Additionally, I try to always be respectful and a nice guy. People are more likely to tap to someone who they like and respect. I don't have that big of a jiu jitsu repetoire but I try to apply my experience in other areas to jiu jitsu and vice versa.

Array

School
    Mario Roberto Jiu-Jitsu Academy
    One might assume a bb has already figured out the best way to deal with this situation o.O

Array

School
    RONIN
    Damn Pete! That was harsh lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast