Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Gb Knox/Kmaa

Greetings: People think its M3, its actually the warm ups that sold me.

So I guess this is kind of my introduction thread and a little story on how I finally decided to get a membership on this site, and start putting some effort into 10p principles.

So, I dont got to a moon, or even a hot box. The closest affiliation I have (or really could have geographically) to 10p is that one of my friends and mma training partners is a blue belt under Eddie Bravo.

We have talked alot about 10p and its philosophies and techniques, and of course the M3 match was a hot spark for conversation on the subject, but to be honest that was mostly a fan match and something that was historically interesting (was it a fluke.... clearly not) rather than a super relevant match for modern competitive grappling or mma. So it was a talking point, but it wasnt why I ended up here.

I train both MMA and Tournament Jiu Jitsu/grappling. Two sports Ive come to realize dispute our best efforts are VERY distinct. Im very proud of my lineage and teachers on both sides of that equation, so why even bother with 10p at all?
    Well, my no gi game is lagging rediculously behind for one. You get used to grip fighting and gi control and you can lose some of it. So theres that, 10p is by far the most systematically developed no gi style I have ever seen and its systematic in its instruction. That was why I kept intrest, why I kept coming back. Im a grappler who loves grappling, I love wrestling, catch wrestling, judo, sambo, you name it I love it.... and 10p is another branch, so theres that too.
    And its five freaking bucks a month for the whole MTS set, thats a big one. Five bucks. I LOVE Marcelo Garcia, but five bucks has got to be one of the best values in grappling period.

All that being said I wasent looking to give up de la riva and spider guard in favor of the lockdown and rubber guard. And thats all this 10p stuff is right? That was kind of the message Id gotten...
    And then my friend that I mentioned before turned me onto the 10p warm ups...
    Holly hell...
    I had been looking for this. Something that would help my flexibility, my open guard, my no gi game... something systematic. As Im reading about and watching the warm ups this is EXACTLY what Ive been looking for, and its not all rubber guard and lockdown centric ... theres spiral guard, de la riva, butterfly and open guard.
    No one talks alot about that, but there it was big as life.

So, I finally bit the bullet, got Eddies other book, a membership on this site and dedicated myself to trying to incorperate this as a large portion of my no gi game!

Suffice it to say Ive been quite impressed. Theres alot more to this stuff than the people on sherdog and most jiu jitsu gyms would lead you to believe.
    Im sure there's alot more to be impressed with, but as for that warmup set which is now becoming part of my daily life, all I can say is Mr. Bravo, good work!

You can keep regular JiuJItus for when you rock the Gi, and 10p techniques for when you go noGi - totally works.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Very cool.

Who's your Blue Belt friend?
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Gracie Barra St. Peters/10th Planet Ronin
    Welcome Larry and we even have some guy named Zog who's pretty decent at leg locks

Array

School
    "Oil Slix" shirtless BJJ Club
    Quote Originally Posted by brianspinaltap View Post
    You can keep regular JiuJItus for when you rock the Gi, and 10p techniques for when you go noGi - totally works.
    Yes!! And then let the games bleed right into one another, the philosophies behind 10p moves are thorough, complex and battle proven.

I, for one, have to agree about the warm ups, they are so legit and almost essential to ANY bjj guy, not just 10p guys. They deal with situations we all get into when rolling with good guys..

Also, Welcome Broda.
    "Blame the IBJJF when, in 30 years you see an academy that nails the phrase, "A Red belt is a Junior black belt that hasn't died yet" on the far wall."

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ / Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Nice post, Larry, and welcome to the site. I always like to point out to people from outside our system that we are not disciples of the lockdown/rubber guard/twister/<TECHNIQUE NAME>, we are disciples of whatever the hell works. You'll probably never see Eddie attack a straight ankle lock or shoot for a single leg, but you'll definitely see him teach those things, or better yet, get one of his students to teach them.

I would say that our only bias is that we tend to like techniques that look really awesome and will get you laid when girls see you do it in competition.

Array

School
    "Oil Slix" shirtless BJJ Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir Allam View Post
    techniques that look really awesome and will get you laid when girls see you do it in competition.

Have yet to see this technique...
    "Blame the IBJJF when, in 30 years you see an academy that nails the phrase, "A Red belt is a Junior black belt that hasn't died yet" on the far wall."

Array

School
    10WO
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Very cool.

Who's your Blue Belt friend?
    I've heard that he's very handsome and smells good and is me. And now the 10P virus is starting to spread deeper into East TN.

Array

School
    FLMAC/10th planet Ronin

I would said that our only bias is that we tend to like techniques that look really awesome and will get you laid when girls see you do it in competition.
    I love you man not In homo way lol

Array

School
    10th Planet Boulder
    Welcome sir

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast