Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hotbox heads

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    It depends on the guy's attitude. If he is humble and has just come to learn, I see no need to smash him. Make him tap, yes. But no need to break him off. My opinion.

If he has come to test you, help him see that he isn't adequately prepared for this exam Your skill level will determine how hard you have to struggle to display dominance.

In some cases, he will be better than you and will have things to teach you. Learn these lessons with humility and with the heart of a martial artist. But don't let anyone disrespect you or your castle, even if they are better than you. If it turns into a whoopin, then it turns into a whoopin. So be it. You're in the whoopin business.

I think it's incredibly important that you roll with visitors and new guys before any of the students do; particularly if your students are White and Blue Belts. You have to protect them from the potentially unsavory intentions of visitors and dojo stormers.

Defend your castle.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    Life is going to be rough being a lower belt protecting your turf, especially as a lighter guy. But it is a combat sport and you just power through shit.

And if you do have to verbally tell a guy to leave, its generally best to remain calm, assertive, don't interrupt or argue. As long as you don't get heated you can usually maintain alpha status without them getting heated

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg W View Post
    so far, I just let them tap me 10 times straight, then they think "I can tap the instructor, he has nothing to teach me" Then they fade quickly. It has happened a few times. Some have eventually figured it out and come back better prepared to learn. Option 2, Sometimes they don't leave but nobody wants to roll with them so they just sit against the wall like poindexter while everyone is having fun rolling. They get bored and leave and think we are all stuck up wimps that don't want to roll with him cause he is such a badass. Either way, they are gone. However, we have the luxury of being the only game in town and have a constant inflow of "nice" people who get it.
    Greg, you always seem super cool on here, but I disagree with you also. In addition to what other people have said about repping the system (there is a reason you need ten wins to open a hotbox, sorry) there is additional problems.

1. I never let a "D-bag" even get me in a dangerous position because you can't trust him not to hurt you
    2. There is a good chance your students wont like this even if you imagine they are ok with it. Which can lead to THEM trying to hand it and getting hurt OR them following your example and getting hurt. You put peoples safety at risk handling thing in this way.
    3. Many times "D-bags"=bullies as well. Whish means this wont work on them. In fact it will make it worse. A bullie generally leaves after one day of getting crushed by everyone. This is the "filter for D-bags" you hear Eddie and others talking about. They weren't there in the first place to learn, they were there to "crush people". Exactly what they want is "nerds that can't touch them". So they will come in and bully you and your students and may never leave.

Greg, as you are a 10th planet hotbox leader (correct?), I highly consider you change your policy as I feel it is not safe nor does it confirm to other standards. I suggest having this conversation with your sponsored instructor. Sorry if it feels like I'm being harsh, but when I started training I got injured at a gym that also didn't have there mess together with handling these types of things. You have an obligation to keep people safe, sorry.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Our hotbox was on a college campus. We got an above average number of d-bags that wanted to come in a crush some nerds. Very important they leave with their tale between their legs. Never let a guy win that isn't a regular at your gym. And even then there's certain guys I will let never let win.. And there's alot of guys after 6months or so I allow them to work on some subs and stuff when we roll. It's all about each individual. I agree with Bmac that not everyone needs to be crushed their first day.. But most do. Make sure, being the insrructor that you always beat everyone the first day. Nice or not..

Need to have someone that can tap the average meat-head to be an instructor of a hotbox. That's why the criteria includes 10 tournament wins..

Array

School
    "Oil Slix" shirtless BJJ Club
    Thanks everyone, there is a ton of clarity provided in this thread.
    "Blame the IBJJF when, in 30 years you see an academy that nails the phrase, "A Red belt is a Junior black belt that hasn't died yet" on the far wall."

Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor
    You have to represent yourself and the system with integrity. As Joe Rogan pointed out, D-bags don't last for very long in jiu jitsu. Their egos can't take being tapped over and over and over again. Especially if it is being done by smaller people and white/blue belts.

You can't allow one jerk to come in and change the atmosphere of your class. 10th Planet is all about positivity and growth, always stay focused on that! Keep tapping him, sit down and have regular conversations with the guy about what you are trying to accomplish as a school, and if he is still causing problems then show him the door.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234